My daughter had double jaw surgery and it has all gone wrong!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Snophik

Re: My daughter had double jaw surgery and it has all gone wrong!

#136 Post by Snophik »

Hi, I'm new here and also in need of a revision/correction surgery. Multiple wrongs have been done and it's now a struggle to find the right surgeon to get it right.

The plans where to move the maxilla forward. During the surger a large amount of bone was taken away from the height of the maxilla. This was NOT in the surgery plans. I don't show any teeths in my upper jaw now. My nose is pushed up because it hasn't got any room, my lip has no support and I look teethless when relaxed. I won't give up until everything is exactly how I want it to be. It's just so hard to wait till it can be done.

Has anyone experience in getting refunds if the operation was done private, and the outcome doesn't match the surgical plans?

Lostfaith

#137 Post by Lostfaith »

You sound very similar case to me in that the impaction has been overdone. Bad news is apparently it's the most unstable umovement of them all but it can be done and further advancement is possible as well. How did you pay? Credit cards can give some protection if it goes wrong under section 75. I will be having a revision to bring my upper jaw back down by a different surgeon as he won't take any responsibility that it looks wrong. Are you in US or Britain ?

Snophik

#138 Post by Snophik »

Lostfaith,
I know, it's worrying me. But I've been in contact with a surgeon which really think this can be fixed, but I will need bone grafting. I really hate the situation we are in. I live in Sweden, but was operated in Britain. At that time I couldn't get any help in Sweden, but it was important for me to correct my bite issues so my parents helped me financially, and I travelled back and forth to London.
Before the surgery, I was also talked into doing a genioplasty. The surgeon and the orthodontist sad I really had to, otherwise it wouldn't look good. And I trusted them. He said he was going to do a really small thing. When I woke up, he had elongated my chin downwards 9 mm! I had a straight chin before, and now he has twisted it downwards. It's look crazy. There was nothing wrong with it from the beginning, so I have to get the chin back also. He is just denying everything and even says that nothing has happened to my maxilla.

I'm looking for help in Sweden now, I'm waiting for an appointment with a dentists that can send me to a surgeon.

Have you found a new surgeon? Where do you live?

There is so many levels of pain in this situation. All that we have to go through, and then the surgeons won't even admit that anything is wrong.

Wish you all the best.

Lostfaith

#139 Post by Lostfaith »

I'm in the uk. I'm really interested in who done your surgery I wonder if it was the same who messed mine up . I also need a graft but they will most likely use a bone substitute.

Lostfaith

#140 Post by Lostfaith »

I'm also in London and my surgery was private , my revision will be here or Brussels . I've been referred to by a consultant to his NHS practice and had 6 opinions all have said its been over impacted . It won't let me private message you as I would love to speak more as we sound like we have very similar issues

Snophik

#141 Post by Snophik »

I just need to post a few more messages before I can use the private message.

Lostfaith

#142 Post by Lostfaith »

When was your surgery and when are you planning a revision for ? Was it a double jaw surgery and genio ? If you can't find a surgeon I can recommend one who can downgraft the upper jaw as he does a lot of cleft work but it would be in London again.

Nbaglo

#143 Post by Nbaglo »

Hi snophik and lostfaith
I have same problem that you have , I did the surgery 12 years ago and I'm still suffering with the resolt I m 30 now but I feel like I'm 60 my upper tooth don't show and all my lower tooth are showing like oldies , they just make it obesit, my nose become very flat and big , my left side very defernt then the write side , the chin move to one side more then the other , every thing went wrong I don't know wht the surgeon did to me but this not should happen , I cry every day when I saw my self in the meror , i don't fell my self , I don't act my self even I don't act or wear my age beacouse I fell I'm 60 years old women , I lost my self it's not easy at all , I use to like my face but the doctor told my mom thaT I need the surgery and I did it , I was only 17 I was in my last year in high school , I vist many doctor and they said there is a people's but we can't do any thing , I'm from Kuwait in Middle East , if you find a soloshion just tell me I'll follow you with it , I can't live like this any more ,

Nbaglo

#144 Post by Nbaglo »

[quote="Nbaglo"]Hi snophik and lostfaith
I have same problem that you have , I did the surgery 12 years ago and I'm still suffering with the resolt I m 30 now but I feel like I'm 60 my upper tooth don't show and all my lower tooth are showing like oldies , they just make it obesit, my nose become very flat and big , my left side very defernt then the write side , the chin move to one side more then the other , every thing went wrong I don't know wht the surgeon did to me but this not should happen , I cry every day when I saw my self in the meror , i don't fell my self , I don't act my self even I don't act or wear my age beacouse I fell I'm 60 years old women , I lost my self it's not easy at all , I use to like my face but the doctor told my mom thaT I need the surgery and I did it , I was only 17 I was in my last year in high school , I vist many doctor and they said there is a proplem but we can't do any thing , I'm from Kuwait in Middle East , if you find a soloshion just tell me I'll follow you with it , I can't live like this any more ,[/quote]

Lostfaith

#145 Post by Lostfaith »

I am having my upper jaw bought back down using a bone graft or bone substitute . It can be done it's just harder to do

Lostfaith

#146 Post by Lostfaith »

Are you in a position that you could pay to have a revision in a different country ?

Snophik

#147 Post by Snophik »

Nbaglo,
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know how you feel. It's like walking around with a face that isn't your. Or at least that's how I feel right now. I have spoken to a surgeon and he says that the maxilla can be down grafted. I will need a bone graft. But it can be done! I don't understand why they say that it can't be done with you? I am going through the medical system that we have in my country, and I will soon have an appointment with a doctor here. Then they need to decide if they can do it or if they wanto refer me to a more skilled surgeon. I think it will be the later so it's going to take a couple of months before I get this straighten out.

But don't give up! I have had some other problems earlier in my life with doctors that says different things can't be done. And you know what, it's becaus they they don't know how to do it. You need to find the right person. Can you travel abroad? Do you have your x-rays? Then you can contact other surgeons via mail and perhaps get other answers.

Lostfaith

#148 Post by Lostfaith »

Your pretty much at the same stage as me, mine is going to be planned out in the next month hopefully . They may not have to use a bone graft from my hip but can use a substitute.

Snophik

#149 Post by Snophik »

That's good Lostfaith, good that things move forward.

Lostfaith

#150 Post by Lostfaith »

Hi , how did you get on with your appointment ? Are they going to help with the revision ? I'm in next week for the revision surgery, terrified now , really hope they just reverse it and nothing more .