orthognathic surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

indecisive1

orthognathic surgery

#1 Post by indecisive1 »

Hi everyone. I am after some advice. I am probably much older than most of you however face the same dilemma. As a teenager I had braces for about 2 years to correct an open bite. My orthodontist at the time tried to close it as much as she could however after 3 years of wearing braces I was told that the only way to correct it would be through surgery. At the time my parents decided against it as it was not really heard of back in the '80s. I am currently 38 and am considering undergoing both upper and lower jaw surgery to try and correct my open bite. My dilemma is..should I even bother? I am married with two young children and do not want to spend most of my time in and out of hospital. Wearing braces again does not phase me, however I have heard of so many horror stories on the net about permanent numbness and possible complications. On the one hand (as silly as it sounds) I would love to be able to enjoy a slice of pizza and be able to actually bite into it, or eat a salad roll without all the tomato and cucumber slices falling out because of my inability to bite through them. I would also like to be able to close my mouth without straining (I also have what they call lip incompetence). This also causes my lips to be excessively dry and cracked. On the other hand do I really want to put myself through all that stress, and at my age is it worth it? My biggest fear is permanent nerve damage or ongoing pain in the years to come and I am worried that if I do not go through with it my biggest regret would be not doing it now.

Laundraholic

#2 Post by Laundraholic »

Hi... and welcome :)

Actually if you scroll through most of the posts, you'll see that 38 is nowhere near being "older than most of us", though you are older than me :)
I'm 35, married with 2 toddlers and am now 3 months into my braces (just got my bottoms last week!). The plan between the oral surgeon and the orthodontist is to have the surgery (upper and lower to correct an underbite) about 18 months into the braces and then i'll still be wearing the braces for about 6 months after the surgery.

Like you, I wish I could have gone through this when I was 18 or 19 (when I was originally supposed to have it -- they wanted to wait until my jaw stopped growing), and like you my parents vetoed it at the time.

Like you, I agonized whether or not to start this whole process or if I was "too old", agonized if the only reasons I was doing this was for "vain" reasons... also agonized over the fact that if i DIDN'T do it -- would i regret it years from now?

After all I'm only 35 now. I still have *knock on wood* 45+ years to live with these teeth and my profile. And really it takes only a couple of years... and if you have kids you know that 2 years can pass by in the blink of a eye.

soooo... does the surgery worry me? absolutely. but reading people's stories here and their experiences about the braces, surgery and recovery have really helped.
Almost every one has stated that it WAS worth it and they would go through it again.

do the braces suck? absolutely. there have been more than a few times in the past 3 months since i got the braces that i have wondered what i was doing and thinking that the next 2 years are going to feel like a long, long time.

but u know what? 3 1/2 months have already passed and so i'm already 3 1/2 months in. it's only august but seriously christmas seems like its just around the corner (and again with kids u know how fast christmas is going to come) and so before i know it, it'll be 6 months... then a year...
then 2 years :)

you're the only one that can decide...
seriously read all the posts about people's personal stories -- then really help in your decision :)
Last edited by Laundraholic on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

lamster

#3 Post by lamster »

Where do I begin. I am older than you, but I've been exercising for the last 25 years,weights, swimming, cycling, and jogging.

I have had 2 opportunities to correct my class III overbite and didn't act out of fear. I too had braces as a teenager but didn't hold because of jaw problem. My kids OD and dentist recommended a surgeon and I independently got his name from making phone calls. Insurance was in place and I was 5-7 years younger and didn't go through with it. Just a year ago my OD was going to put braces on me and move my bottom teeth forward-a year later he told me he wouldn't do it because of bad results.

On top of all this, my situation is a little complicated. I want to tell all you people out there suffering with nerve damage-its not so bad. I had my wisdom teeth extracted 25 years ago and did not research OS. He cut my lingual nerve that feeds half my tongue. At the time I was told it would come back in, some said 4 months others said 40 years.

Well I am here to tell you that nerves do grow back. I have gotten most feeling back and it continues to improve. I have no pain. If anything the tingling, and soft electrical activity, tickling sensations feel good. During the night when I sleep I push my front teeth forward (I where a night guard that dentist made for me years ago) and my overbite has gotten worse to the point where I am obsessed with it. I have a receding chin but have a pad of fat on it that conceals how bad it is.

I would like to warn other people about this OS, because I am not his only victim and he is still practicing same place. Does anyone know how I can do this without getting sued for liabile? I don't understand why you can go on the web and find a plumber that isn't good but doctors etc. are protected.

At least when you go through a procedure like moving your jaw you have something to show for it. I would like to be able to smile confidently, and eat comfortably-just some basic physiological needs.

I hope my story helps you make your decision.

phil

#4 Post by phil »

Hi, indecisive1, and welcome.

I have made a suggestion along these lines to others, and I might do it for you now.

Take a sheet of lined paper, and divide it down the middle. Now, on one side write down all the possible pros. Be exhaustive.

Now on the other side, write down all of the possible cons. Be exhaustive.

Now, take this list, and begin to educate yourself by doing searches through the forum. If you don't find threads about any of your pros and cons, feel free to ask questions!

You say that your biggest fear is permanent nerve damage, and this is a very real issue for many people. I may have some myself. I'm still a year away from my BSSO, and my lower lip is still prickly, although things continue to change slowly...

There are some rare complications as well, such as loulou's infected plate, or my delayed union requiring another surgery, but they are EXTREMELY RARE. Most people manage the surgery fine. The majority of your recovery will be very quick--usually most people spend one, or MAYBE two nights in the hospital. Ten days after surgery, you will feel a lot better. The rest is very slow changes, but this is true of any surgery, I think.

Even as difficult as my own experience was (read through my threads if you like--it's a LONG story!), I would do it again, although my reasons might surprise some people! :wink:

Feel free to ask me any questions you wish about anything. Oh, and by the way, I'm 43! :D And, I might add, feeling younger every day...

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

Emaciated

Re: orthognathic surgery

#5 Post by Emaciated »

indecisive1 wrote:My dilemma is..should I even bother?
Hi indecisive1. Yes, you should bother. 2 years will go by in no time, seriously, and then your jaw will be fixed. And 38 is not old by the way.

I'm 32, also married, have a toddler. My daughter was under a year old when I had surgery last November also to fix an open bite and under bite. My wife and I both work demanding full time jobs. I asked myself the very same thing a few years ago.

Even at our dicrepid age of over 30, the benefits and confidence boost you get after those braces come off is incredible. AND biting into that slice of pizza you mention is such a fulfilling feeling after going through all that.

Phil has some good advice weighing the pros & cons. You can read my story here if you want where I list some of my own. I suspect that if the probem bothers you enough to take the time to post on this forum, than you'll likely find yourself going through with the surgery at some point in the future.

Laundraholic

#6 Post by Laundraholic »

i'd like to add that KarlClayLA's website is really amazing.
I made my husband look at it (as I think the surgeries that I will be going through are the same ones) and even he has said that it has really helped him understand the entire process, and esp the mindset of what i may be going through, esp during the recovery stage.

and as far as being "in and out" of hospital, my oral surgeon has stated it *should* be only for one night, barring any type of complications (which both the surgeon and people here emphasize are very rare).

Thathrill

#7 Post by Thathrill »

Im 31 and was told I would need surgery when I was 16 but I was terrified. I had an underbite, open bite and cross bite issues. Eating onion, tomatoes, pasta, etc was a chore. I hated not being able to bite down into foods. Plus my smile was embarrassing so I said enough is enough. At the recommendation of my dentist, I felt it was time to stop running.

For me its not about your job, your family, or your friends. Its all about YOU. If you want a happier and healthier life then you should do what you need to do to get there. If you keep your same bite, who knows what horrible complications you will receive. I was told that I would end up losing teeth and stomach problems because I wouldn't be able to chew food properly. These all opened my eyes.

Is surgery a risk? Sure but I think its worth the risk of having a better bite and being happy with yourself. Braces are a non issue for me. Sure braces are annoying but you will find that you can eat all the same foods as long as you are careful. Right now my lower lip, chin, and tip of my tongue is numb.

To be honest, at the end of the day I would rather have minor numbness than to deal with a horrible bite that would only worsen.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

HokieTay

#8 Post by HokieTay »

I agree with what everyone is saying. I am younger... 23, but like many had the opportunity to get it when I was 16 and my parents were even on board, but I was too immature and emotional about the whole thing to do it. It is my life's biggest regret. LOL, ok I know I am only 23... much bigger ones to come I am sure. Anyhow, I hope to get this in the next couple years (hopefully early 2009 if all works out) and if it didn't work out I would still get it at 30, 35, 40, whatever. It's just something you will probably always want and I bet once it's all said and done with you will be so happy.
P.S. One of the lady's I babysat for got it when she was 36 and she got pregnant during the process and had to put it off further, making her wear braces longer! She doesn't regret it though.
P.P.S The way you describe your jaw (open bite, hard to close lips, etc) sounds just like mine! Do you have a "gummy smile" and a receding chin?

fromjersey

#9 Post by fromjersey »

Hey indecisive one: You think you're old?? Who are you kidding? I'm 80, just turned 80 June 25. I had jaw surgery last September. There is not one tiny ounce of regret in me. Look at my photos. See "anybody else have a jaw like this? under Ozzie's Mom. The "before" picture is what I looked like during my teens and 20's and supposedly happy years of our lives. What do you think it did to my life? I was indecisive back in the 1970's (age 43) when I did learn of the surgery and oh, did I regret not getting it then.

Finally I couldn't stand looking at photos of myself a few years ago and after reading Archwired people's experiences, I made the decision.
And because I waited so long, I never got orthodontia or upper jaw surgery, so my results could have been even BETTER if I had made my decision when I was "young" (age 43).
Nobody ever heard of this surgery when I was in my teens and 20's and 30's.
Please don't call yourself old. What does that make me? And people, stop talking about maybe living to be 80! What does THAT make me?
Helen

phil

#10 Post by phil »

Helen,

I just looked at your post-op photo.

You look fabulous!

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

fromjersey

#11 Post by fromjersey »

Thanks Phil. It's easier for me when I go out in public. Sometimes I give presentations, read my work, better now than holding a hand in front of my face. Enough of that.
Helen

jul

Orthognathic surgery

#12 Post by jul »

Isn't it nice to know you are not the oldest? I had surgery more than 20 years ago, and was very glad I did. I had a full time job and a family and was in school at the time. I even had my mouth wired shut for 8 weeks to my husband and daughters delight. Fortunately they usually use rubber bands and not wires and not usually for months at a time any more. I am now looking into have another orthognathic surgery for some issues I am currently having. I feel comfortable doing this a second time. By the way, braces have improved greatly over twenty years.

suetemi

#13 Post by suetemi »

All this fuss about age bothers me. I don't think age really exists. Aging in the biological sense (i.e., decomposition of cells) is real, but otherwise age is a social construction which "exists" because of the meaning we put into it. I'm the same person I was at 6 and I will be that same person at 80. So if you disregard the whole notion of age, then there's no excuse anymore. You can do whatever you truly believe is right and not let this concept of age dictate your decisions in life. The fact that you're 38 -- what does that mean?...aren't you the same person you were as a teenager? Sure, you have different responsibilities and whatnot, but your personhood, your self-worth, is still the same as any other time in your life. Why does a 30-something year old you deserve any less than a 20-something or teenage you?

p.s., I'm 26 and I think 38 is very young. If the only thing stopping you from pursuing surgery is your concern about being too old, you should reconsider your definition of age and what it means to be old. Did you read Helen's story. She didn't let age stop her, she sounds like she has the determination to move mountains and that's admirable in any age
:)

2bpositive

#14 Post by 2bpositive »

Hi Indecision,

I'm new here just finally signed on but have been reading this site for 2 months or so now.

I also have an open bite and I'm 48 yrs old. Just got braces over a week ago & will be having upper jaw surgery lefort I and lower jaw surgery in a year. I am very nervous about the surgery but will have a whole year to get mentally ready for it. This is my second time around I had this done when I was 13 yrs old but relapse about 5 yrs ago ( I have wires in my upper jaw- now a days I hear it's so much better w\ screws & plates). The speech issuues, front teeth pain maybe from all that air coming thur my open bite and only the very bk teeth making contact, I feel I needed to do something. I do feel like "what the heck am I doing" at times.

Braces are so much better now then when I had them in 1973.

This web site is so great! Something hit me when I read: From Jersey- how it was fear that stopped her bk then and reading all of Phil's- words of encouragement ( congrats on your tentative date to remove your braces!), KarlclayLA- staight to the point on so much information, also been following Tortor's surgery. I've learn a lot just from reading everyones story.

So age should not be the reason to stop anybody from doing what is needed!

jawbreaker

#15 Post by jawbreaker »

I'm in my 20's so age wasn't a factor. For me, the ideal of being put under for the first time was scary but I would say in the end it wasn't that big of a deal. I went back and forth (probably like 5 times) for about a year before finally deciding to do surgery. I had a crossbite, the ortho said he could fix my bite with just braces but my lower front teeth would look a bit slanted. I mean if I'm going to spend all that money and time on braces, I might as well go with what will give me the best possible results.