Jaw surgery & hospital costs in Melbourne, Australia

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

FL00DY

Re: Jaw surgery & hospital costs in Melbourne, Australia

#16 Post by FL00DY »

[quote="FL00DY"]Hi lishuai. Your surgeon should provide you with item numbers for either top & bottom jaw surgery. Quote these numbers when talking to the health funds. They should be able to tell you what cover you need. I'm with NIB, can't remember what the cover is[/quote]

I'm with Basic plus and it covers my surgery. Before 1st April, when I first paid it up front for the year I paid $865, my renewal will be $913 because of the standard premium increase.

lishuai

#17 Post by lishuai »

Thanks for replying floody. Is $931 for a whole year? I looked up some quote from nib, to cover a single person at my age(31) will be about $120 a month. Do you know how much they will cover for your surgery? I mean is there a certain percentage they cover and you pay for the rest?

FL00DY

#18 Post by FL00DY »

[quote="lishuai"]Thanks for replying floody. Is $931 for a whole year? I looked up some quote from nib, to cover a single person at my age(31) will be about $120 a month. Do you know how much they will cover for your surgery? I mean is there a certain percentage they cover and you pay for the rest?[/quote]

Yup $931 for a year. I turned 30 last Monday but I signed up with NIB in Jan.

Have you ever had health insurance before now? If not I think you're getting stung because you're over 30 because you might not be entitled to the Medicare rebate. What level of cover? I would strongly recommend asking your surgeon for the surgical item numbers and quote them to the health insurers.

From memory my excess is $500, pretty sure thats all I'll pay.

Clare85

#19 Post by Clare85 »

I pay $120/month with Aus Unity for comprehensive hospital and extras. I get back $600/year for my braces, but when I have my surgery I will not have yet served my hospital waiting period so get no cover for that. Make sure you get comprehensive cover!!! Jaw surgery is not cosmetic so that is a non-issue.

lishuai

#20 Post by lishuai »

I have not had private health insurance before but i do have a medicare card and can get bebate. When i see my surgeon i will definitely ask for the item number. If i bring that to the insurer so they know i want to join because i have a surgery ahead will they still cover me as long as i wait for 12 months waiting period?

Clare85

#21 Post by Clare85 »

Yes they'll be fine with that! I have Medicare too, but you only get about $1300 back through that.

SingleJawMelb

#22 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Had my surgery this year via OMFS on Elizabeth Street, Melbourne. It's "not a partnership" but you can message me for surgeon details. But you should be going with your orthos recommendation.

Single jaw surgery, with wisdom teeth removal. $8100 total. Medicare won't rebate me (reciprocal card) bit it's normally about $1200 or so they pay. Private health - Medibank top extra, $1000 wisdom rebate and not sure on surgery as they have an issue with my account. You can find the item numbers online.

$2k for the gas man, oh which I paid $750.

I didn't pay hospital fees because I'm an international student and I have Overseas Student health corner.

It's prob not worth getting private health with extras (dental) unless you need surgery cause they will only pay $1k after the first year.

Anyone had jaw surgery done via public system?

richardofbne

#23 Post by richardofbne »

Hi all,

Thanks for some of the really detailed replies. I'm in need of 6 teeth out (4 wisdom, 2 on my bottom jaw), and then braces for 12-18 months, then retrograde orthognatic mandibular surgery (basically my bottom jaw is too far back). Am not with a health fund, but have spoken with Bupa and they said its covered in their basic health cover with silver extras. There is a 12 month cool off period ('pre exisiting') so will join now and wait before getting my teeth out to start the process. I live on the Sunshine Coast, QLD. Any recommendations for surgeons in around coast/BNE?

I'm really confused what an item code is, what medicare pays for, what BUPA will pay for, and what I'll be out of cost for. Its frustrating trying to work all this stuff out haha.

PS - why couldnt we be born beautiful with amazing teeth? Lolol

SingleJawMelb

#24 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Ok several points and I hope I have explained them correctly.

There is no such thing as pre existing issues. Medical insurance in Australia has to cover your regardless if you knew you were going to have issues. I've claimed $10k+ plus from health insurance through exisiting mental health, dental and surgical issues. They will pay, I just have to wait within their limits. For example I get $1k back a year for braces, but I have to have "Extras" cover for over 12 months before I can claim.

A "cool of period" is where you buy a product and have a certain number of days to have a think about the product and decide it's not for you. Health insurance doesn't have this. They have waiting periods. Examples include two months for dental checkup and psychology sessions.

I had to visit my surgeon before I had my braces put on. The ortho has to put a treatment plan in place. The ortho and surgeon write to each other, agree on the plan, you sign the plan and start treatment. You won't be finding your own surgeon, you will be going with the surgeon your ortho recommends. They work together. I would strongly agree for you to pick your ortho, but you don't need to pick surgeon.

Have you visited the surgeon? It doesn't sound like you have because the admin staff would have given a quote for the surgery and you wouldn't be asking for recommendations. Without visiting the surgeon you don't know what you need doing. I was told I would most likely need double jaw, but due to braces I only needed single jaw. Nothing is set in stone until you see the surgeon for the pre surgery consults (when you are ready for surgery).

Your surgeon will give you a quote for surgery, put that quote into here http://www.mbsonline.gov.au/internet/mb ... -news-July and that will tell you how much Medicare will pay. Medicare wouldn't pay for my surgery (international student) so I'm not sure.

Your health insurance also has a similar system. I believe all helath insurance companies pay around the same for most surgeries. Again, I'm an international student, but you might what to ask iSelect for detailed info.

As I said in the previous post my survey was around $8k with wisdoms removed during surgery. I should get around $1500 from health insurance, I believe Medicare would pay an extra $1200 if I was a resident/Aussie.

I hope that answered your questions.

So 1) have you seen your surgeon? 2) do you have an quote for surgery?

SingleJawMelb

#25 Post by SingleJawMelb »

lishuai wrote:I have not had private health insurance before but i do have a medicare card and can get bebate. When i see my surgeon i will definitely ask for the item number. If i bring that to the insurer so they know i want to join because i have a surgery ahead will they still cover me as long as i wait for 12 months waiting period?

Yes in Straya they have to cover you, even if they know they have to pay out $$$ in a couple of months. It's not car insurance, it's basically a scam the government has invented to make us all get health insurance and pay for our medical bills even though we ready pay the Medicare levy. Lol.

SingleJawMelb

#26 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Clare85 wrote:I pay $120/month with Aus Unity for comprehensive hospital and extras. I get back $600/year for my braces, but when I have my surgery I will not have yet served my hospital waiting period so get no cover for that. Make sure you get comprehensive cover!!! Jaw surgery is not cosmetic so that is a non-issue.
Why are you paying $1340 a year for helath insurance when you are only getting $600 back? I hope you are managing to get claim other health issues.

Push back your surgery date so you have hopistal cover... Is that an option? Do you have to pay your hospital bill? I'm not Aussie sorry.

SingleJawMelb

#27 Post by SingleJawMelb »

I received my hospital bill, which I didn't pay anything.

$5.5k for two nights after surgey and all the services included.

So I reckon single jaw surgey in Melb would cost just shy of $14k out of pocket if you had no health insurance. Take of $2k if you don't have wisdom tooth removal.

Gregorioud

#28 Post by Gregorioud »

Hi Kristyar0,

I'm 16 and need lower jaw advancement surgery + braces.

Your costs: Surgeon fees: jaw ($4000) + teeth ($500) = $4500 and Anaethetist: $1050 are cheaper than others that I have read on this blog, may I know which surgeon you went to?

Did you also have braces? how much and which orthodontist?

Thnaks, Daisy

luneartes

#29 Post by luneartes »

[quote="Clare85"]So, I finally have my surgery booked, for April 16. It will be done at Epworth Richmond by Dr Tim Probert. Anesthetist Dr David Hayes. Total cost looking at $14280. I don't have private hospital cover but do have extras. I am having lower jaw surgery with 2 wisdoms out and possible genioplasty. Here's the cost breakdown (and note my braces cost $15276...Dr Igor Lavrin).
Removal 2 wisdom teeth(323x2):$1000
Planning xrays(036,037):$190
Dental models(071x2):$150
Cephalometric analysis(081):$150
Articulation of models & analysis(964):$100
Surgical splint(965):$275
Single jaw surgery(52351):$5000
Anaethetist fees:~$1400
Theatre fees:$2635
Bed fees(2 nights):$2080
Prosthesis(plates, screws etc):$1300
I think I'll be lucky to get even 2-3k back from insurance/Medicare.
I would love to know what everyone else's costs are looking like.[/quote]

Tim did my surgery! You're in good hands!
My costs ended up looking like this:
Mandibular and maxillary osteotomy (I had double jaw surgery): $7400
Removal of turbinates x 2: $800
(note my initial quote charged $8200 for the maxillary and mandibular osteotomy and no turbinates, he told me before i went in that depending on how my jaw moved, I may have needed them removed and the cost clearly came out of that - it would have been the same if he did any sort of genioplasty)
Surgical removal of tooth x 4: $900
Occlusal splint x 2: $600

Moulds/X-Rays taken prior to surgery cost $900

Anaesthetist: $500 (the rest was covered by medicare or private health)
I didn't have to pay anything at all for the two nights that I stayed at Epworth Richmond, again covered by private health.
Haven't taken anything back yet to claim it (probably need to do that soon!) but i'm not expecting a whole lot back.

All the best, it's an absolute complain of a surgery and recovery sucks but it will be worth it in the end! I'm 7 weeks post op and gradually starting to feel like myself again :)

Clare85

#30 Post by Clare85 »

Haha thanks for the reply, I'm actually roughly 5 years post op now - this is a very old thread! I had some moderately bad complications post op but all is well now save for some residual numbness around my mouth/chin on the left. The whole braces/surgery thing cost me $25k and unsurprisingly I'm very good at wearing my plate every second night so I never have to go through it again!!! :D