BSSO on the 22nd of FEb **DONE!!! DEBRACED!!!**

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JayC

#16 Post by JayC »

24 hours since i got home from surgery

Rach

#17 Post by Rach »

Wow Jay-C that is a bit of swelling. I also found that I had more swelling on the right side than the left... :? strange!
Its good your starting to excersice your jaw a bit but remember not to overdo it! :wink:
I had all my wisdom teeth out but I don't remember the headaches you are describing, but I can totally sympathise with the pressure, I hated that!
Have you got any before pictures so we can compare your swelling?
Hope you feel better over the next few days, but you do sound like the type of person who can bounce back fairly quickly from this.

Best Wishes on your recovery,
Rach :rose:
Feel free to take a look at my SurgeryBlog

JayC

#18 Post by JayC »

here are a couple pics of NORMAL me.. mind you i had a chin augmentation done too so the whoel loawer part of my jaw plus the wisdom teeth got hacked.. the bruising from the chin augmenation is very pronounced now.. it is spreading from my chin down to my neck but its as if its moving away from my chin ahaha i guess thats how bruising works it slowly "spreads" away and ges flushed through the system. so now its morning number 2 since the operation. i may look lik in discomfort but i actualy feel great... well not everyday presurgery great but wWAY bettter than i thougth i would. the swelng on the rite side of my lips have gone down a lot and my chin swelling is going down as well. most of the swelling now is on the lower jaw and around my neck area . oh yea i was able to brush my teeth very carefully last nite and boy did that feel refreshing. kept doing my 4 times a day salt water rinses as well

last nite i slept almost al the way through. the only time i woke up was catching myself sleeping on my side! so i had to get back in the uprite position and sleep hehe.

i am an easy sweller though. my body reacts pretty instantly to trauma..so i knew i would be swelling quite a bit.ia m the type of person who if i got a tattoo. the are tattooed , the skin would rise and fairly red, but ironically i have a pretty hig tolerance for pain :S

so here is NON chipmumk/nutty professor me.

in the blue

man i dont even look like the same person at all! hahah i look 15 years older.. like an older fat chinese dad in the chipmunk pic hahaha. and im 26

loulou123

#19 Post by loulou123 »

Hi jayc

that is quite a swelling :? but i had a lot to, tho to be different to you and rach i had more swelling on the left side :D

I found the best thing for the swelling was to take a little walk each day (once you feel able) as the fresh air and movement seemed to help :D

Hope your feeling less swollen soon

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

JayC

#20 Post by JayC »

ok i think the worst part .. well not theworst but definitely a pain in the ass is putting those damn elastics on with your mouth so swollen and your jaw not wanting to really open up. its been night no.3 and i am able to brush my teeth fairly well. the bruising is creeping me out and is slowly dispersing so thats a good sign. i have more range of movement in my jaw and could chew soft foods and eat things like mashed potatoes but i think i will give it a couple more days. lost 5 lbs already.

JayC

#21 Post by JayC »

ok 5 days post surgery. i can eat eggs, soft foods and open my mouth about 2 ingerbreadths. brushing is a lot easier and also puttin on elastics are a cinch now. still brusiign and swelling under the chin and jaw but getting a alot better. i am phsyically capable of doing anything but i rather not peek my droopy face outside the house for another couple days. im debating on whether i should take an extra week off work to let the sweling and bruising sbside completely, as my form of work i am seen all the time. If i had a computer job that would be different, but yea.

I realized that th surgeon did not take any of my wisdom teeth out. I guess he decided he did not need to or will do it a later time.. all 4 teeth have already grown out and does not pose a threat. I will ask him about that on our follow/checkup. that is the update for now!

JayC

#22 Post by JayC »

ahhah thanks mery.. ill just tell ppl they shouldnt feel bad for me , but the bus that got in my wa y;). im not over doing it as i havent done anythign erally in terms of taking my meds which are pretty much done with.. eating 3-5 times a day (Shakes and soft foods),sleeping a good 8 hours a night.

i do small kaw exercises like opening and closing wiggling etc . obviously nothing that cuases any pain at all. i htink i might go out for a walk today for fresh air. the neighbourhood is pretty quiet while everyone is at work, and the kids are at school. ive watched way too much discover and tlc lol.

cheers

loulou123

#23 Post by loulou123 »

Good luck on going out jayc :D

its really not as bad as it seems and ive found most people dont even really notice.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

JayC

#24 Post by JayC »

so its exactly one week post operation. almost by the hour too! the swelling has gone down a lot.. bruising is stil annoying. i look like nutty professor/jay leno heheh but not to that extreme. i told my boss and clients that i will be back to work next wed. just to give a couple more days for the swelling to go done. if it goes donwn significantly over the weekend, im gonna start monday. was up fairly early again at around 8am. ive been going to bed around 11pm and getting up around 8-9am on a daily basis since. im used to waking up at 5am to start work but the extra sleep is def. needed.

i posted pre surger that i was gonna plan on playing some hockey a week after surgery.. well.. its a week post op and guess what.. im going to hit te ice later tonite. i dug out a few old helmets and found a full face cage as well and slapped those together. ROM is still at 2 fingers. the muscle on my rite side which is a bit more swollen is still a tad tighter than the left. im still opening and closing. ive started to chew lightly on pasta and eggs (yesterday). my body is getting used to the liquid/ soft food diet. i hope to start eating more real food this weekend. each morning i wake up i feel much better. so far it sbeen a very very good recovery for me. i cant wait to get back to the gym.

as for the hockey again it is rec pickup hockey wit friends.. so i wil obviously stay clear of high traffic areas and flying pucks. i know accidents happen but hey.. im that type of guy who just cannot sit out from physical activity that long. if anything i think this will help me along my recovery.. psychologically that is.

JayC

#25 Post by JayC »

So last nite was probably the worst night. I couldn't fall asleep but my body was so tired. I woke up probably 4 times in the middle of night and had a headhache throughout the whole nite. It's morning time, and I am fine now but last nite it felt as if my body was giving in. I've been feeling the post surgery depression as of late as well, losing my patience in terms of waiting for my swelling and bruising to dissipate.

JayC

#26 Post by JayC »

i was sleeping totally great before last nite.. hopefully it was just one of those weird nites. i am drinking quite a bit of water as im going to the washroom in the middle of the nite a good 2 times haha.. usually i dont wake up having to go pee. i guess sice i never had any type of surgery or major broken bones.. i never realized how much it does take a toll on your body to just heal on localized area of your body. i cannot imagine cancer patients :S

JayC

#27 Post by JayC »

what a difference a couple days make. i have an appt. on thurs with my surgeon to see how things are going. i feel so good rite now.. lotsof energy.. pretty much almost back to normal.. swelling goes down everyday and i think by fri (which will be exactly 2 weeks) ill be pretty much looking like me again. time to gain the weight back and start hitting the gym again slowly but surely!! :D

oh yea.. the tingling in my lips and chin are gone. and so far from what i can tell i didnt lose any feeling around my face at all.

JayC

#28 Post by JayC »

Yea, you guys have been awesome, esp you Meryaten. The only thing is getting used to the placement of my bite.. it still feels very odd lol. I am chewing up and down rather than in a circular motion cuz my muscles don't know what to do :P. But in time.

tazzle

#29 Post by tazzle »

ah that all sounds brillant ..... so glad it has alll gone so well for you.

looking forward to pics post swelling :wink:

[/url]

ImageImage

JayC

#30 Post by JayC »

here are some updated pics...

this is be BEFORE surgery

AFTER( 1 day post op)

NOW (10 days opst op)

i miss my cheekbones lol... and you can see the rite side is still a bit more swollen than the left... damn rite side drain tube!!grrr.. but yea. thre are other pics of the bruising on the neck 2 dyas post op that looks SCARY.