Tooth sensitivity after surgery/numbness

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jjames

Tooth sensitivity after surgery/numbness

#1 Post by jjames »

Has anyone out there experienced a sharp increase of tooth sensitivity after surgery whilst your feeling was returning or otherwise? After BSSO on Oct 1, my lower gums/lip/chin were left numb. But I'm hopeful because I'm getting pins/needles, burning constant. However my bottom teeth have become so sensitive I can hardly stand to brush. I know I've read about a study that linked tooth sensitivity to sensation returning (oh I hope I hope I hope) but has anyone experienced this tooth sensitivity like this personally in relation to numbness??

dubnobass

#2 Post by dubnobass »

Yep - the right hand side of my lip and chin woke up, and my front 4 teeth on that side became incredibly sensitive. They've calmed down again now. The left hand side is currently going through the same process - hooray for returned feeling, but boo to sensitive teeth which are agonisingly sensitive, especially when the electric toothbrush is run over them.

As for picking things out of your teeth with a metal paper clip, DO NOT DO THIS AT THIS TIME - you will regret it!! :lol:
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

ohmyjaw

#3 Post by ohmyjaw »

I had a BSSO on my right side only, and my molars on that side are very sensitive. My surgery was in March and it hasn't gotten any better. I actually think it's my gums more than my teeth that are bothering me. Brushing is not a problem, but flossing hurts. I had hoped it was temporary, but it has been 8 months with no improvement, so I'm not sure it's going to get any better.

jjames

#4 Post by jjames »

Thank you for all your replies! And dubnobass that's encouraging, I hope I'm not like ohmyjaw and it stay this way for a long, long time. It's quite uncomfortable, bearable, but definitely not fun. Meryaten, yep, you're right, I'm going to try to stay on the positive side and see it as nerve's regenerating and healing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

jjames

#5 Post by jjames »

Thank you for all your replies! And dubnobass that's encouraging, I hope I'm not like ohmyjaw and it stay this way for a long, long time. It's quite uncomfortable, bearable, but definitely not fun. Meryaten, yep, you're right, I'm going to try to stay on the positive side and see it as nerve's regenerating and healing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

KriegeR

#6 Post by KriegeR »

Just to let you know, I have a similar problem which is primarily affecting my top left 4 and 5 (the ones between the canine and the molars). These are very sensitive and like you described, it is uncomfortable to brush them.

I did initially have the same problem with the rearmost molar on the same side, but this seems to have subsided now.

HighandLo

#7 Post by HighandLo »

jjames,

This happened on my right, lower side (which was moved more). It felt really weird to feel the slight pain in my jaw down to the roots! It was temporary for me, though - I just feel a twinge now and then. But, I was glad to feel anything!

Lo

Davep

#8 Post by Davep »

Hi jjames,
Same thing happened to me as well. Had my upper and lower on 15th August. I really thought that I must have developed cavities in my teeth. They hurt so much. They were very very sensitive as well. I tried a SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM sonic toothbrush......it was pure torture. Went back to soft baby brush. Now however they are all back to near normal. Sonic brush really cleans now but still only twice a week so far.
Dave
In braces since 13th June 2005. Upper and lower on the 15th August 2007 and braces off 23rd October

bunhead1973

Re: Tooth sensitivity after surgery/numbness

#9 Post by bunhead1973 »

jjames wrote:Has anyone out there experienced a sharp increase of tooth sensitivity after surgery whilst your feeling was returning or otherwise? After BSSO on Oct 1, my lower gums/lip/chin were left numb. But I'm hopeful because I'm getting pins/needles, burning constant. However my bottom teeth have become so sensitive I can hardly stand to brush. I know I've read about a study that linked tooth sensitivity to sensation returning (oh I hope I hope I hope) but has anyone experienced this tooth sensitivity like this personally in relation to numbness??
Hey
don't know if this helps but i just had triple jaw surgery and on the 5thday after surgery(i have also be getting pins an needles sensations) ,,my lower left molers are horribly sensitive to cold or anything for that matter. I'm going to ask my doctor on tommorrow , i write again if there is anything constructive for u.

all the best
\

descantus

#10 Post by descantus »

Yep i'm getting this too, mostly on the lower but a little on the upper. Flossing is quite painful so i'm also using interdental brushes dipped in an antiseptic just in case it's linked to infection of some sort.

I'm seeing my surgeon next Tuesday, i'll ask him about it and report back...
Follow my story:
http://dentalpurgatory.blogspot.com/

[/url]

Audra

#11 Post by Audra »

I am almost 10 weeks post up (double jaw) and my teeth are extremely sensitive as well. I hate using my electric toothbrush now, but I still do because it gets my teeth cleaner. I find myself going back to my manual toothbrush quite a bit though because I just hate the vibration of the electric.

OhioM

#12 Post by OhioM »

Thanks so much for starting this thread! I am SO THERE right now. I'm 5 months post-op, and I have 4 really sensitive teeth - so bad I can't brush really well. My oral surgeon sent me to the dentist, who had no idea. He gave me some gel and I've been using it, but not much has changed. Yesterday, I noticed that the two teeth behind these four are suddenly sensitive.

It makes so much sense that it's nerve related! I'm not going to worry too much and just ride it out for a while, and see if it resolves.
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10

Will30

#13 Post by Will30 »

I know it’s been a while since anyone has posted, but I was wondering if anyone has had the returning of feeling? I’m having numbness in my chin, lip, and teeth! Also, with teeth sensitivity and an annoying itching feeling that I can’t scratch. Help....anyone?!

EmilyTravels

#14 Post by EmilyTravels »

I'm glad to see this old thread revived as it really helped explain something for me. My situation is a bit different as I fractured my mandible in a bike accident last April. One of the fractures was just to the left side of my chin, and I had numbness in my left chin and left side of my lower lip all the way down. At the same time, My two bottom incisors on that side became incredibly sensitive -- I was scared that meant they were going to fall out. The molars on the bottom left felt numb along with all the gum tissue around them, so I couldn't feel that area at all when brushing.

I'm pleased to say that 9 months later, the numbness is gone (or at least most of it; sensation may be 85% of normal), and I hadn't even thought about those super sensitive teeth for a month or two. Reading this thread reminded me about them, and I think the sensitivity must have gone away (or mostly so), since I haven't even given them a thought lately. And no, they didn't fall out! :lol: I've got brackets on them now with my braces and am dreading getting them off in case those teeth hurt much more than the others, but perhaps they will be 100% normal by then.

Fortunately, unless the nerve has been completely cut, most of the numbness from nerve damage in jaw fractures (or surgery) will eventually go away as the nerve regenerates. It definitely takes patience, though; I had read from a year to 18 months for total return of sensation in some cases.

DroolQueen

#15 Post by DroolQueen »

Is it normal to feel the roots of your teeth just ache at night 3 weeks after jaw surgery? I can feel that my nerve connections are bouncing back fairly quickly, but with that the root pain at night and in late evening has gotten pretty bad