Soft foods post-surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spikegomez

#31 Post by spikegomez »

dittoxtina wrote:my favorites after surgery are:

everything was put in a regular blender and liquified:

1) slice of cheese cake / milk

2) regular ice cream (snikers is my fav) / milk

3) pudding / milk

4) any flavor oatmeal / milk

5) any canned spegetti / vegtables (1 jar of baby food, you cant even taste it) / and tomato juice.

6) 6 slices of sandwich turkey / 1 serving mashed potatoes / chicken broth / a lilttle bit of milk to make it more lliquid. (dont put to much chicken broth because it'll become very salty.

7) chicken dumpling/ chicken broth ( dilute with alil bit of water)

8) make chicken alfredo how ever you like it / milk to blend it.

9) also once a day i drink a bottle of ensure and crush a daily multi vitamin into it.

and thats all i been eating so far.. use your imagination!!! thats all i did. and most of the time it will taste good. and number 6 really made me full!! so i eat that one alot! ok i'll post if i discover any more good dishes.
Nice article man... learning thing here...
Spinal Braces

BracedforSurgeryUK

#32 Post by BracedforSurgeryUK »

In the UK usually in supermarkets such as boots, tesco's you can get pasta salad's sometimes mixed with tuna or chicken with herbs and mayonnaise. i've been eating these 4 days post op. much preferable to endless soup and yoghurt and surprisingly easy to eat. They will also help with maintaining weight. obviously stay away from the ones with larger meat pieces in them. Asda's are great.

Also Dunn River Nurishment drink about 80p in most supermarkets. Quite sweet but full of calories and all sorts of nutrients. I can recommend these.

Finally, cadburys milk chocolate buttons. They simply melt in the mouth.

All of the above I can recommend to help maintain a healthy weight.

moth

#33 Post by moth »

some of favourite things to blend:

- cheesecake with pie filling. mash up cheesecake and then blenderize some kind of pie filling like cherry or blueberry. then, fill your syringe with a layer of cheesecake, then a layer of blueberry, etc - this is my favourite!

- pasta dishes are really good. spaghetti and sauce with romano cheese, fettucine alfredo, lasagna, zoodles/alphagetti. often times i just took frozen pasta dinners and blended them, or the packaged noodles like Sidekicks.

- frozen broccoli and cauliflower with cheddar cheese (the microwaveable kind, or make it fresh)

- pizza. if you get a really flavourful pizza, it's not as gross as it sounds. (once you hit a certain point you will pretty much blend anything!)

- poutine with lots of cheese and gravy

- carnation instant breakfasts mixed with fruit. i mixed the vanilla flavour with frozen peaches and it's not bad.

- applesauce and pudding are always good, and no blending required! i add protein drinks to pudding as well.

- oatmeal with layers of brown sugar or maple syrup

- fruit drinks. blend fruits with ice and it's like a smoothee, very refreshing. or blend fruit with yogurt.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#34 Post by blindboarder2008 »

good suggestions moth, i like the pudding and proteing shake idea, i never thought you could add pudding to it but that does sound good, it would definetly add a bit of a different flavor that is for sure but it could be good

ohhh poutine yummy. you were able to blenderize poutine???????? amazing! was it thin enough to swallow??????
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

moth

#35 Post by moth »

blindboarder: you can blenderize anything with the vitamix blender haha - it's insane! i try to keep the foods as thick as i can, so sometimes i even need someone else to squeeze the syringe for me lol

blindboarder2008

#36 Post by blindboarder2008 »

nice, we have the magic bullet and a bigger blender, so i think if I'm having poutine it will have to go in the big blender lol. poutine would be a really good treat, i'll have to suggest that to my mom lol cause shez helping with food afterwards since my sis has gone through this before!

FYI: don't pureee a fast food hamburger, it looks totally gross!!!! I don't even wanna begin to get into the details but ya. Totally grossed me out when mom did it for my sis. lol she wanted a hamburger so we got her one and blended it and threw it out right away cause it looked horrific!
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

MyDarling06

Re: Soft foods post-surgery

#37 Post by MyDarling06 »

bbsadmin wrote:Someone recently asked that a sticky topic be placed in this forum for members to post ideas about soft foods and eating post-oral surgery. I think it's a terrific idea, so I'm creating the sticky topic for you. Post away! :D

I also want to remind you that we have some pages regarding soft food suggestions on the main ArchWired site:

Soft Food Suggestions at ArchWired.com
really? By the way, I think it's really a nice a idea to post a sticky topic,,

anaxthema

Flavourful Spicy Blends

#38 Post by anaxthema »

One thing that has bothered me so much about the liquid diet is the blandness. :yuck: I was day dreaming about a mushy eggplant dinner I had a few weeks before my surgery (while watching Food Network of course), and I went out to buy it again today to see if it would blend well and it did.

Check some stores near you for Tasty Bite foods. The meals come seperate pouches in boxes. As far as blending goes- I know for a fact that the Punjabi Eggplant blends perfectly with 1/4 cup of water added. It also makes a healthy chip dip for those in the family who don't have to use a "feed bag". :lol:

Many of their meals are MSG free, vegetarian, vegan, etc. It's marked on the boxes.

Here is a link to their site: http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncom ... d2w/report :yuck: :yuck:

anaxthema

#39 Post by anaxthema »

... seriously.... bahahaha, ::sigh::

ignore the yucky faces after the link. It's NOT yucky, I swear! I really wish you could edit these things.

slscott99

Peanut Butter while wired

#40 Post by slscott99 »

Wondering if anyone who was wired shut has used peanut butter in their shakes....does it really liquify enough in a blender to be drinkable without sticking to braces, wires etc.. ?

blindboarder2008

Re: Peanut Butter while wired

#41 Post by blindboarder2008 »

slscott99 wrote:Wondering if anyone who was wired shut has used peanut butter in their shakes....does it really liquify enough in a blender to be drinkable without sticking to braces, wires etc.. ?
yes just add more liquid mateiral to the shake and it should be just fine!

plate

#42 Post by plate »

thinly sliced kiwi fruit makes a nice and easy snack (:

blindboarder2008

#43 Post by blindboarder2008 »

i've fallen in love with sweet potato and regular potatoe mashed potatoes.

you basically do the same thing as you would do to make mashed potatoes and you can cook the sweet potato and the mashed potato together

cut them up into cubes first, bring to a boil, simmer for 5 mins and then mash them both together and volla! an amazing taste and its a bit different then just having regular mashed potatoes!

m/m store has been a good one for fork smashed foods

mom bought:
lightly battered sole
queashe Floraiane
cheezy potatoes
strawberry angel cake (a definete treat!)
meat pies
and quite a bit of other things

chuck609

Peanut Butter

#44 Post by chuck609 »

I have found peanut butter to be a great addition to shakes! I had some natural peanut butter that I had to keep in the refrigerator, so it was very thick. I just scooped out what I wanted and microwaved it for about 45 seconds until it was nice and runny. When I finished that jar, I went back to the non-refrigerated stuff. I just spoon it out and dump it in the blender. The blending action takes care of the rest.

I'm wired, and the Jaw Surgery Guide from the Zip N Squeeze folks has some great recipes. Easy for the non-cook like me.
Braced: Summer 2007
Surgery: July 22, 2009 (Upper + Genioplasty)

chuck609

Peanut Butter

#45 Post by chuck609 »

I have found peanut butter to be a great addition to shakes! I had some natural peanut butter that I had to keep in the refrigerator, so it was very thick. I just scooped out what I wanted and microwaved it for about 45 seconds until it was nice and runny. When I finished that jar, I went back to the non-refrigerated stuff. I just spoon it out and dump it in the blender. The blending action takes care of the rest.

I'm wired, and the Jaw Surgery Guide from the Zip N Squeeze folks has some great recipes. Easy for the non-cook like me.
Braced: Summer 2007
Surgery: July 22, 2009 (Upper + Genioplasty)