Soft foods post-surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DisneyNerd

Re: Soft foods post-surgery

#91 Postby DisneyNerd » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:17 pm

OMG yeah, Ensure is awesome. <3

mameem

#92 Postby mameem » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:15 pm

wow! Im learning so much on this site

kboykb

#93 Postby kboykb » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:54 pm

Just to reiterate what many others have said, Ensure all day. It saved my life when I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed and couldn't stand even the slightest bit of pressure !

katsface

#94 Postby katsface » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:01 pm

I've been making a concoction the past two days that's been awesome and super smooth. I don't have a gap at the back of my molars so everything I'm eating has to be able to sieve between my teeth and this new concoction is fitting the bill.

I'm using infant rice cereal with equal parts milk and homemade chicken stock, a little butter and cheddar cheese, salt to taste, and this time I mixed in an egg. I just microwave the whole thing in a cup and, stopping to stir about every 45 seconds. Then I wiz it in the blender for good measure, but it really doesn't need it. I think I could add in a little soft cooked bacon to make a kind of bacon egg and cheese effect too.

It's satisfying my salt/fat craving enough that I don't murder the people around me for eating potato chips.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months

SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19

BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

katsface

#95 Postby katsface » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:09 am

Some more notes on what I've been eating lately:

Wish I made more chix stock and fewer soups before surgery. I can blend just about anything with chix stock and in addition to tasting great it ups the nutritional value some.

I've been eating a lot of baby food fruit purees lately becuase they are so easy. Ella's Organics have no additives so I prefer those, but there are some others that are pretty good too. I just tried Happy Tot coconut berry mix and it is FANTASTIC.

Pro Tip: Look for ones that are labeled for babies as young as 4 months if you have to have your food perfectly smooth. The ones for older babies have too much texture and could clog up your teeth depending on how you can eat. If you have a large space at that back of your molars where food can go through, this probably won't matter much but if you're sucking food through your teeth it gets very frustrating to eat anything that isn't perfectly smooth.

I ended up using the Zip-N-Squeeze bags for only the first 4 or 5 days after surgery. They were honestly probably more hassle than they were worth. They are very flimsy and thin plastic. My husband was afraid to put anything hot in them because the plastic seemed too delicate. The zips at the top are not that sturdy, and one of them burst on me after only one or two uses. They're also very difficult to squeeze unless they are pretty full. Imagine plastic a little thicker than a plastic grocery bag, and trying to squeeze liquid from the bottom of the bag to the top... not super easy. All in all, not worth the effort or money I put into getting them. I know others have had good experiences with them so, your mileage may vary.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months

SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19

BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

Lislap89

#96 Postby Lislap89 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:45 am

I puréed up some homemade chili 4 days post op and drank out of a syringe. Best meal so far in my first week!

yumitan89

#97 Postby yumitan89 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:54 am

Thanks for the list :D

bangbangprettypretty

#98 Postby bangbangprettypretty » Thu May 14, 2015 2:04 pm

Some brilliant ideas! I had cheese quiche today for lunch and bulgar wheat with goats' cheese for dinner - lovely.

gaborousseau

#99 Postby gaborousseau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:19 pm

Great list!
I'm starting to think that all cooking websites should have a "soft foods" category :lol:

patcharee

#100 Postby patcharee » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:36 am

Great List.

I am going to keep this list for my second surgery!

thewalkingsuit

#101 Postby thewalkingsuit » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:43 am

Great list! going to save for sure =)

fixmenow

#102 Postby fixmenow » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Avocado mashed up with a little salt and lemon juice.

Rhea2017

#103 Postby Rhea2017 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:22 pm

Thank you! this is very helful.
I am having porridge for a week now and feeling like tired having the same food in a week :-(

Elucidation

#104 Postby Elucidation » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:21 pm

I craved donuts. Since my mouth can slightly open now (15 days post-op double jaw, wired removed on soft-chew diet now), my strategy was to break up the donuts into pieces and douse em with milk. It took me about an hour to eat one donut but it was glorious.

braceface2017

#105 Postby braceface2017 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm at 6.5 weeks post op. Here are some of my food ideas:
-1/2 cup of oatmeal, banana, pinch of brown sugar, protein powder, dash of cinnamon, 1 to 1.5 cups of boiling water all blended. Cold milk to cool down and make even thinner as needed. This was my go to breakfast
-Homemade bone broth! Should have started this PROIR to surgery, but I didn't. There are a ton of good recipes online and can be made in the crockpot. I used the bone broth alone and to thin out other recipes.
-1 Cup cereal with 1 cup milk blended (sometimes need to thin out more then 1 cup)
-1 can pinto beans, lots of taco bell sauce packets, chicken broth, cheese, sour cream. This was my FAVORITE!! switched it up with black beans as well.
-Chicken broth with cumin, garlic powder, garlic salt, paprika, onion powder, onion salt (basically taco seasoning), this was great to switch it up when on the "clear liquid"
-Chili mixed with beef broth

Other:
-Grocery stores have the "soup bars" if want to try something different and not have to cook. Usually had to thin out with broth.

What DID NOT WORK!
-Chia seeds. While they sound great in a smoothie, the seeds make a mess in the mouth
-Strawberries. Seeds also made to much mess (at least for me)
-Blended mac & cheese (gross)
-Donuts with milk blended (not worth it)

Soft Foods:
-Almost any kind of chicken, pot roast, tuna, fish
-Mashed potatoes (don't forget the sweet potatoes)
-any pasta
-scrambled eggs
-yogurts
-guacamole

Return to “Oral (Orthognathic) Surgery”