Sliding genio pre & post-op PICS

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ewok2000

Sliding genio pre & post-op PICS

#1 Post by Ewok2000 »

Hello everybody, I usually don't wander to this board since I'm an invisalign user but I thought I'd share my pre and post-op pics. I had a Sliding genioplasty performed June 21 under general anesthesia. My surgeon moved my chin about 8.5 mm forward although the original plan was 9-10 mm. But he told me if he saw that there would be a step-off, he would moved it 8-9 mm.

The main reason I wanted the surgery was because I had pretty bad mircrogenia, lip incompetence and mentalis strain. A chin defect which no other family member had so I was ticked to say the least when I realized I had this abnormality. I'm 18 years old btw. The first pic is obviously before and the rest are almost 2 weeks post-op. I don't have a good before of my front.

sillikitti

#2 Post by sillikitti »

They moved it quite a bit! But it looks great :)

fromjersey

#3 Post by fromjersey »

Ewok: Very happy for you! Profile looks great. From 3/4 shot I see you have a very nice philtrum, dent under nose. Do you know cause of your problem? Was it nasal obstruction? Do you have allergies, deviated septum? Was your family with you (in agreement) on this surgery? Is your lip incompetence all gone now?
Congratulations. Send front view, even though it's an "ater" shot.
Helen

Ewok2000

#4 Post by Ewok2000 »

Ewok: Very happy for you! Profile looks great. From 3/4 shot I see you have a very nice philtrum, dent under nose. Do you know cause of your problem? Was it nasal obstruction? Do you have allergies, deviated septum? Was your family with you (in agreement) on this surgery? Is your lip incompetence all gone now?
Congratulations. Send front view, even though it's an "ater" shot.
Helen
The cause of my mentalis strain and lip incompetence? It was due to severe microgenia( underdeveloped chin). Not to confused with retrognathia( underdeveloped jaw), which would be better suited for jaw surgery. I don't have any allergies and my septum isn't really deviated. My family completely supported the surgery since my defect was a medical problem and it threw off the balance of my face. They were of course worried about the possible complication but I had been researching the procedure for years and trusted my doctor.

And its been 2 weeks and I'm able to close my lips without mentalis strain which I'm thrilled about. My profile and face is much balanced obviously. I still have lip strain( I have to consciously bring my lips together) which I'm completely fine with and couldn't corrected unless I underwent upper jaw surgery as well. The only thing I wanted was normal chin appearance and balanced profile which I got.

And thanks for your guys' compliments!

fromjersey

#5 Post by fromjersey »

Ewok: Sorry for typo. Meant to say would like to see "after" shot front view. Hope your parents are also pleased. Looks like your mission was acomplished. You're looking so good.

crazybeautiful

#6 Post by crazybeautiful »

I have the same sentiments- you look great! :D

JSM01

#7 Post by JSM01 »

Hi ewok I'm getting a sliding genioplasty as well because of the same reason as you. I made an appointment with the doctor on september. I'm wondering how much was the cost of the surgery (I might want to know your location because it differs in different countries) and also how long did it take to fully recover(how many days did you have to wait to resume a fully normally and functionally lifestyle?) Was there any swelling from the surgery?

Btw you look very good. :)

Ewok2000

#8 Post by Ewok2000 »

crazybeautifu, fromjersey, squid1984 - Thanks for your kind words!

JSM01 - my surgery cost was up there. The doctor fee was only 2500, anesthesiologist was about 2000, while my hospital fee was about 7000. The last fee blew my mom's mind.

I'm 2 weeks post-op and speaking and eating are back to normal. It wasn't until a week that I looked presentable. I still have numbness on my chin and partially my lip but it's getting slowly better. The only thing that bothers me is my lip/chin are stiff so I can't smile normally since my lower lip doesn't really move.

As far as swelling, this is a guarantee. Mine peeked by day 5 or 6 and slowly calmed down. By day 9 or 10 my face looked more or less normal and today 95 % of the swelling is gone.

BracesRacer

#9 Post by BracesRacer »

Awesome! I always love this part of the forum when it has pics because I have yet to see a bad picture. Everyone always looks so amazing when the surgery is done... gives me some hope that mine will go well and accomplish what I hope it will :)

fromjersey

#10 Post by fromjersey »

Ewok: It always costs a lot more in hospital than a surgical center. I understand you had only genio, not BSSO too.
Can you write about your hospital experience for us? How long in intensive care unit. Any nausea? Also, did you stay overnight? How bad was your swelling? Got any photos of those puffy days?

Ewok2000

#11 Post by Ewok2000 »

Hey fromjersey, I spent no more than an hour in intensive care unit POST-OP but to be honest it was really a haze so it could have been shorter. The first day was probably the worst, I threw up a lot of blood that I had swallowed right after surgery. I felt nausea too which came and went the first 3 days. My swelling was probably in the medium range and it dissipated slowly. I'll post the after front shot too :). warning though, I look like Frankenstein's monster in the swelling pic.

JuicyB

yay

#12 Post by JuicyB »

It looks really good, you look great
Congrats. I am to have upper and lower jaw surgery in September.
I can't wait, I've never been more excited for anything ever. Put up some new pics when you can

SandraJones

#13 Post by SandraJones »

I am just now seeing this thread ... Ewok, you look FABULOUS ! That is the most subtle and yet significant change to your profile. It looks very natural ! You must be so happy !
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

freakyteeth

#14 Post by freakyteeth »

I am really behind the times reading stuff.

However - Your profile looks great post surgery!
Very exciting.

Ewok2000

#15 Post by Ewok2000 »

Thanks guys and I am happy! The pic below is fairly recent, not a good angle but you can see my lower face is balanced and no mentalis strain :).