Post-Surgery FUN!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

phil

Post-Surgery FUN!!!

#1 Post by phil »

Hello, all.

Here is the first view of me for you, post-surgery. I expect my swelling to go down a little bit more, but not too much. I think I'm lookin' pretty good today (day 7).

First, from the front:

Next, the new profile:

And finally, the amazing bite. No longer Class III!!!

Last edited by phil on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

Even with the swelling you look great! Here's to a speedy recovery :jump:

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Mart

#3 Post by Mart »

hey phil, have been following your story from your first post here! you're looking very well for day 7, and i bet your chuffed with your new profile, i hope my underbite surgery is as successful as yours! Are your othodontists still using your photos on their flyer?

phil

#4 Post by phil »

iBorg, thanks for the compliment!

Mart, yeah, I'm quite pleased with the result. So is my surgeon. He told me today that I looked like a million bucks! All of this has definitely been an ordeal. I will not lie to you--the surgery is no piece of cake, but you're young, and can snap back in no time from it. I'm 42, so it's taking a little while. Just being driven to the surgeon's office (20 minutes one way) and back home wore me out today!

Who knows what my orthodontist will do with my pics when we're all done! Ha! I'll just be happy as a clam when I'm finally in retainers.

phil

#5 Post by phil »

Hey, Meryaten!

Thanks for the compliment. I really like my profile a LOT now! I definitely still have a chin, which only goes to show just how BIG it was pre-surgery! Can you believe that they moved my mandible back 7mm?

I had a rough day today. Just going to the doctor's wore me out, but it was fun. I met the assistant surgeon for the first time, who assisted on both of my surgeries (the SARPE last summer as well), and I met the assisting nurse, who I didn't remember at all, although I DID remember the OR this time. She took a panorex of me, which I got to see--with all the hardware! Fun! Up top I have two L-shaped plates either side of my nose, and a little wire loop somewhere in the back on each side. On the mandible, I have three screws either side. I think, all in all, a rather cut-and-dried case for my surgeon, but he was quite happy. My midline is on, and everything looks good!

I also got off with only one elastic on each side, and it is much looser than the mess of elastics I had been wearing. Funny thing, though...when he took all of the elastics off, he let my jaw rest for a couple of minutes, and I was scared to death to open my mouth! Normal, I suppose. He also removed my cheek sutures (for the "Frankenstein" bolts, as I call them!).

I came home and promptly collapsed after all of that.

OK, back to the recliner. More later!

anabel

#6 Post by anabel »

HEY, you look AWESOME!! Congratulations!! I swear we need to have a Men of Archwired Post Surgical 2008 Calendar or something. Woo hoooo!!
Braces on July 2005
Upper/Lower/Genio July 2006
Braces off June 2007

phil

#7 Post by phil »

Anabel, you're making me blush! Seriously! I don't know about THAT, but I am very happy with my results. Thank you for your kind comment, which puts a slight smile on my somewhat numb face (sorry, it's all I can muster right now!).

smile2006

#8 Post by smile2006 »

You look totally different from the side! Excellent!

nvcarissa

#9 Post by nvcarissa »

You look great, Phil!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Brandyleigh35

#10 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Hey Phil,
Looking good! Hang it there it just gets better each day. I'm at 5 weeks post op and things are progressing along nicely. The Swelling has really come down and is getting much better (I posted some new pics on my blog today and I can see a huge difference) I get to start soft chew next Friday! Woo hooo!

Rest when you are tired, it will help you heal faster giving your body the rest it needs. You really do look great!

crazybeautiful

#11 Post by crazybeautiful »

Hey Phil- like Mart I've been following your story as I have Class III too, and if my results are as good as yours I think I'll be very pleased indeed. You look great!

Here's to a speedy recovery :-88

Happysmiler

#12 Post by Happysmiler »

Fantastic results Phil - your pics looks amazing

How you feel now is only temporary, give it another few days and I'm sure your energy levels will be back up.
When you are tired, listen to your body and rest.

Good Luck
Happysmiler

WhiteLurcher

#13 Post by WhiteLurcher »

Congratulations Phil you look fantastic!
I'm glad your recovery is going well, things will be much easier now your not so tightly banded :thumbsup:

All the best :-1

[/url]

phil

#14 Post by phil »

Thank you, everyone for all your encouraging words and positive comments.

It's been rough the last couple of days. I don't think a typical patient gets feeling back as quickly as I am, and so I'm having a lot of issues with pain. This is one case in which I wish that the healing process would have gone more slowly. At least if the nerves weren't ahead of everything else, I wouldn't be hurting so much!

I hate taking the narcotic pain meds, but I had to resort to them again last night. I'm hoping that in a few more days, this is not necessary. At least the doc said that I don't have to take my antibiotic anymore, which is a good thing because my natural flora is pretty much gone right now.

OK, back to the recliner. More later!

Happysmiler

#15 Post by Happysmiler »

Phil, it sounds like it has been a rough time for you, I really sympathise. When you feel a bit low or in pain, just remember how much you used to hate your underbite and how you will NEVER have to worry about it again, its gone forever!!

Best Wishes
Happysmiler