Surgery moved up by 4 days!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ducky1515

Surgery moved up by 4 days!!

#1 Post by Ducky1515 »

I got a call from my surgeon yesterday saying that my surgery was pushed up from the 11th to the 7th. When I heard this i nearly feel off my seat. I knew my surgery was two weeks away but now it's a week today.

I'm freaking out a bit seeing as I only have this weekend to try and get things done (ie all my Christmas shopping).

Seeing as my surgery is now on a Thursday I obviously wont be released on the Friday however a coworker mentioned that patients arent normally released over the weekends so I'll be in there until Monday.

Does anyone know if this is accurate?

I have the preop stuff on Monday (4th) so I'll know 100% then but I'm just curious.

Thanks!!

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Ducky1515,

I hope everything goes smoothly for you! My surgery is not for a few months yet, but at my "interim assessment" recently, I asked about the hospital stay, and they said most folks go home in 24 hours, and staying much longer than that is unusual.

Take care

jsenigaglia

#3 Post by jsenigaglia »

Hey Ducky,

Just from my experience, my surgery was on a Monday morning, and I didnt leave the hospital until Wednesday. I think this was for a couple reasons. 1st: I was out of it the whole first day/night, so they didnt want me to leave (Im assuming) 2nd: They (Kaiser) had a whole deal with me being able to consume enough liquids on my own (not through an IV) before I could go. I wasnt feeling well, and it took me longer than expected to do that. Therefore, I was there for 2 nights. It wasnt too bad though, as it was during the elections, and there was tons of stuff on TV 24/7, haha.

Good luck, and no worries, you will be fine. I promise!

Joe

jsenigaglia

#4 Post by jsenigaglia »

Hey Ducky,

Just from my experience, my surgery was on a Monday morning, and I didnt leave the hospital until Wednesday. I think this was for a couple reasons. 1st: I was out of it the whole first day/night, so they didnt want me to leave (Im assuming) 2nd: They (Kaiser) had a whole deal with me being able to consume enough liquids on my own (not through an IV) before I could go. I wasnt feeling well, and it took me longer than expected to do that. Therefore, I was there for 2 nights. It wasnt too bad though, as it was during the elections, and there was tons of stuff on TV 24/7, haha.

Good luck, and no worries, you will be fine. I promise!

Joe

Ducky1515

#5 Post by Ducky1515 »

Thanks for all the support! I ordered my Zip n Squeeze pack Monday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will make it in time.

My sister has offered to drive me to the hospital and sit with me until I go in. My parents will be there when I wake up. I've told my friends not to come by the day of my surgery as alot of them were saying they would.

Weird thing is that my ex fiancee said he took the day after my surgery off to stay with me at the hospital. So at least I won't be bored out of my mind.

I'm going to take pictures etc and will post a diary as I'll have way too much time on my hands.

Spooky

#6 Post by Spooky »

My surgery was on Friday, and I was released from the hospital the next day, Saturday. So they do release patients during the weekends. The main thing they want to make sure is that you can maintain hydration on your own and the major bleeding is gone (esp. if you are doing upper jaw surgery).

Good luck! Try not to think about it. Keeping yourself busy before the surgery will just keep the mind off it!
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006

science teacher

surgery

#7 Post by science teacher »

GOOD luck! At least now you'll have a better chance of enjoying christmas dinner.

Kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07