Do I need humidifier for after surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jbird

Do I need humidifier for after surgery?

#1 Postby Jbird » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:48 am

If so, warm or cool? I can't find this anywhere. For those who used them, which one did you like?

bighoss

Re: Do I need humidifier for after surgery?

#2 Postby bighoss » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:08 pm

I had a cool mist humidifier at bedside during the first week. It didn't make a noticeable difference for me.

A lifesaver during the first week will be sudafed and Afrin nasal spray. Must haves for the significant congestion.
Double jaw surgery for underbite (Feb 2017)
Upper jaw 12mm forward
Lower jaw 6mm backward
Genio to enhance airway

Jawbreak

#3 Postby Jawbreak » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:42 pm

I bought a warm one and I didn't use it on the first few nights because I didn't really have that much trouble breathing. The first night I turned it on, I noticed a big difference. My mouth wasn't as dry, I could breathe better (I guess I hadn't realized I wasn't breathing THAT well) and overall slept a bit better. Sleeping was difficult on the first week and a half, so anything that can help, I feel like it's worth it. Just get a cheap one on Amazon, I got mine for $30 or something like that.
Procedure: Bilateral maxillary and mandibular osteotomy (Lefort I; single piece) & septoplasty
Date of surgery: Nov 30th, 2017
Recovery blog: http://jawbreak.blogspot.com/

Jawbreak

#4 Postby Jawbreak » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Oh and by the way, I don't think warm or cool makes a huge difference. The steam mask they gave me at the hospital was cold, and my surgeon said either is fine. I just wanted a warm one because I had my surgery in winter and didn't want to be cold, but it was actually hard to find a warm one... And now that I think about it, some nights I was annoyed at how warm it was, so maybe a cool mist would be better?
Procedure: Bilateral maxillary and mandibular osteotomy (Lefort I; single piece) & septoplasty
Date of surgery: Nov 30th, 2017
Recovery blog: http://jawbreak.blogspot.com/

Jbird

#5 Postby Jbird » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Thank you. Yes, I think I'll get a cool one because I like to be cool at night. Can't sleep well as it is. Thanks to everyone for helping me out. Good advice.

Elucidation

#6 Postby Elucidation » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:32 pm

I used the Eufy humidifier off of amazon and it was really helpful for the first 4-6 nights. I don't think the warm or cool matters much but I ran it as a warm mist, made the room feel like I was in a bathroom with a hot shower, glorious but wet.

braces101

#7 Postby braces101 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:22 pm

I did not use a humidifier at all, so I can't really say if it would have made much difference but Afrin definitely helped.
3-piece Lefort 1, BSSO, Sliding genioplasty, Turbinectomy, Septoplasty, Wisdom teeth + bone grafts in Dec 2016

Return to “Oral (Orthognathic) Surgery”