June/July 2015 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KaylaChristine

Re: June/July 2015 Surgery Buddies

#901 Postby KaylaChristine » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:14 am

:D Feels nice to finally have them off! Here's a picture of my bite. My midline is more off in the picture than it actually is. I must have been biting down weird. I'll post comparison pics soon! I'm not very good at smiling with my new bite. It's going to take some practice lol.

I got Hawley retainers. My top one is actually the ClearBow Hawley so it's not too visible. I'm still struggling to speak with them in. I wear them full time for a year & then I'll switch to nights. I'm making a call to my dentist this week to schedule an appt. for x rays and to see about getting that crown I need. Fingers crossed I don't have any cavities.

My upper front teeth hurt quite a bite during the removal process but overall it wasn't too bad. :]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Braced on October 14, 2014.
Lefort I and vertical ramus osteotomy: June 15, 2015
Braces to be removed January 5, 2017.

jaime

#902 Postby jaime » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Woo hoo!!!! You posted! Your teeth look AMAZING. :jump:

That's pretty sweet you got a Clearbow. It does suck talking with the Hawley. I ended up getting an Essix to wear out in public.

How great was it to eat with them off? :)
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Nozzelnut

#903 Postby Nozzelnut » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Kayla your teeth look great!!! Congrats!!

I hope I'm not too far behind everyone getting them off.

#gettingcloser
Upper ceramics 5/21/14, Lower stainless 5/28/14
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15. Estimated time Jan 2016; still on at my 2 year anniversary...
Looking back I'd just get stainless uppers too; shorter treatment time and no one cares about your teeth! With the archwires and elastics and other stuff folks can still tell you have them...

KaylaChristine

#904 Postby KaylaChristine » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Jaime, Thanks!! My ortho didn't even give me an option to get the Essix and I didn't know I was getting the Clearbow until I saw it lol. Oh and I got a permanent retainer behind my upper central incisors since I was concerned about movement. It's not been too bad to floss around actually. The wire is bonded at the very top of the tooth. I'll try and post a picture of it soon. And it feels *so* great eating with them off. :mrgreen:

Nozzelnut, thank you!! I'm sure you're not too far behind us. Fingers crossed you'll be ready soon!!

I had my first checkup at the dentist today and...... NO cavities! I'm shocked! I thought for sure I'd have a few. Especially since I drank Ensure shakes for pretty much 6 weeks straight while I was wired shut. My dentist also recommended that I don't get a crown for that tooth I had root canal treatment done on last year. He said it looks pretty good and if he was me he wouldn't bother with it. He suggested to just get an implant later down the line if it ever breaks. He just told me not to chew peanut brittle or ice on that side :lol:
Braced on October 14, 2014.
Lefort I and vertical ramus osteotomy: June 15, 2015
Braces to be removed January 5, 2017.

snapdresser

#905 Postby snapdresser » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:45 am

So I have a fun new update here, 18+ months post-op. I've mentioned before that I have a bony ridge running along my upper gums that I didn't recall being so prominent pre-op. Well, there's a reason for that. It's called buccal exostosis and it's due to increased bone growth in that area. Quick wiki research told me that it's usually due to grinding or clenching your teeth. As I was usually breathing through my mouth pre-op, I know that I didn't have an issue with clenching my teeth until I was loaded up with elastics a few days after my surgery. That's when these bony growths developed and it seems to be a side-effect of being loaded up with too many elastics. Good bite? Yup. BUT AT WHAT COSTTTTT???!!! :lol: Just kidding. BUT. I'd still like to get the bony growths shaved down because I can feel the bony protrusion against the inside of my cheeks and it makes me very... aware? of my prior surgery. I was hoping that it would get to be something I no longer think about after a while, that my mind would just get used to it and tune it out, but that doesn't seem to be happening very quickly. According to what I've read, they can shave down the protrusions under local anesthetic, but unfortunately, they typically don't operate on them unless they cause periodontal issues or something. Still, I'm due up for my 18-month post-op and I'm going to ask her if she can shave them down, if she recommends someone else do it, and what the cost would be. I'm hoping $1k or less. I also am going to ask about having the bone that was impacted into my nasal floor shaved down. Dang these bones! I wish I had no bones! :lol: 8)
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!

Nozzelnut

#906 Postby Nozzelnut » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Curious what your surgeon says when you see them.

What would shaving the bone in the nasal floor do; better nasal breathing?
Upper ceramics 5/21/14, Lower stainless 5/28/14
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15. Estimated time Jan 2016; still on at my 2 year anniversary...
Looking back I'd just get stainless uppers too; shorter treatment time and no one cares about your teeth! With the archwires and elastics and other stuff folks can still tell you have them...

snapdresser

#907 Postby snapdresser » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:46 am

Yeah, better nasal breathing.

When I had my later checkups, my surgeon would always run her finger along the buccal exostoses and the just kind of linger there, contemplating. When I brought up that I had a weird sensation like something was tucked between my gums and inside of my cheek, she said "That may last forever", so I suspect she'll say "Yeah, I know, but I don't think you should do anything about it." :?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!

Return to “Oral (Orthognathic) Surgery”