Anybody have a lower lingual arch?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pokergirl

Anybody have a lower lingual arch?

#1 Post by pokergirl »

Everything was going good until today when the ortho put in a lower lingual arch. I have a space where tooth #29 is supposed to be and the lingual arch kind of makes a jagged V at that space. The bottom part of the V is gouging into the side of my tongue and when I eat or talk it pinches it. The ortho also put some cement or something on my 2 bottom molars to keep me from biting down on the bands. It's really awkard to eat because that's the only part of my teeth that are touching. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, will I get used to the pinching or do I need to go back to my ortho to have it fixed. HELP!!!

TuZZi

#2 Post by TuZZi »

I have a lower lingual arch but none of the problems you've been having. In fact, *knock on wood* I haven't had any problems with the actual arch at all. The molar bands and their dreaded hooks however, have been digging into my cheeks for 6 months now.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

Morena_Prncss

#3 Post by Morena_Prncss »

I had a lower lingual arch for about 10 months and just had it cut out at my last adjustment. I didn't have any problems with it either and fortunately I've never had a problem with the band hooks. I would say something to your ortho to see if he/she can make things any more comfortable for you.
Metal top & TPA-4/6/05 Btm Lingual Arch-4/05
Upper ex-8/05 Lower ex-9/05
Metal btm-10/14/05
Lingual arch off-2/06

spragers

#4 Post by spragers »

I had a lower lingual arch from the time my braces went on to the day they came off, but there weren't any kinks, notches or bends in it, just a smooth arch from molar band to molar band.

I also had cement clumps on my back molars for about half a year. I'm sorry to say that you probably won't get used to them (at least I didn't) and the day they ground them off was my second happiest day in braces (first was when the upper lingual arch wire came out, not counting the day everything came off, of course).

wen

#5 Post by wen »

I have upper and lower lingual arches in now (they actually have an extra paper clip like wire to push certain teeth into place as well, not sure of the exact name of my device though), and they will pinch and grab your tongue in certain ways for a while. It should get better with time, but if it doesn't talk to your ortho, he/she can probably adjust it to ease your discomfort some. The hooks on my molar bands are another story, they are still killing me a month into my ordeal.

If I'm lucky, one of these days I'll actually get the braces, but for now all I have to show for it is a speech impediment and about 5 fewer pounds. According to the good folks on this site the arches/expander phase seems to be the worst part of the entire process...Hang in there, consult your ortho, and grab yourself a smoothie!

Best,
Wen

jaws

#6 Post by jaws »

I have had upper and lower lingual arches for almost 11 months now, and I actually had more problems with the upper than lower arch (speech issues, etc.). Over time, I have gotten used to my lingual arches. They aren't fun, but you will get used to them! I also had cement on all four of my lower molars, which made it very difficult to eat. However, over time I did get used to the cement as well.

Here is a pic of my lower lingual arch--as you can see, it doesn't have any bends or anything in it:

Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006