What do you think of people with crooked teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

missing_tooth

#46 Post by missing_tooth »

Genetics is everything when it comes to teeth.
I think I inherited my grandmothers teeth. Tons of cavities have been filled, root canals etc... She had a full set of dentures at 25. While I am older than that, I've put ton of work into my teeth.
I would like to add this question: If you seriously think that crooked teeth are nothing bad at all why did you get braces?
Not everyone who gets braces has crooked, or very crooked teeth. Most people would consider my teeth strait. However, due to an impacted tooth and a molar drifting and turning on it's side, it was about preventing problems up the road.
Butterfly I realise from reading your posts that you have been badly treated in the past with regard to your teeth, but please don't think that any form of revenge will make you feel better ... I can guarantee it won't! Instead ... draw positive energy from knowing that you're now making an improvement in your life and that you're in a position to do that!
Thanks for pointing that out KK. It was a coworker who had the most amazing strait white teeth help convince me to get braces. I was shocked to learn this guy had braces, and implants. In fact I ended up going to his orthodontist.

- Missing Tooth -

butterfly

#47 Post by butterfly »

KK wrote:please don't think that any form of revenge will make you feel better
Hey... the revenge note was more a joke (saw the little devil smileys?) I would never ever lower myself to the level of making fun of anyone's appearance. This is just plain primitive. Not my style.

In my opinion it is a good thing to change yourself to the better if you can. This won't change after 1.5-2 years in braces.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

lilpikachu

#48 Post by lilpikachu »

I've always noticed people's teeth because before I got braces, I was really unhappy with mine.

I've got this habit of commenting on people's smiles (in a good way of course) but I don't think anything badly of people with crooked teeth because I don't have perfect teeth myself (yet hehe).

Money is always going to be factor and so is genetics. Not everyone can have perfect teeth and not everyone puts perfect teeth as #1 on their priorities list.

I honestly never considered getting braces until about a year ago (even though I knew my teeth were pretty bad - well to me).

flotsam

#49 Post by flotsam »

My only tooth-related prejudice is when people have bad oral hygiene. I almost always think crooked teeth are cute! Just not on me.... :)

braceface1230

#50 Post by braceface1230 »

Then I'm sure you'd find me down right adorable.... with teeth like mine.

flotsam

#51 Post by flotsam »

mookyyzed wrote:Then I'm sure you'd find me down right adorable.... with teeth like mine.
Hee! It's just that my BF asked me this very question a while ago (his teeth are fairly straight on top, kind of wonky on the bottom, but nicely colored and shaped and whatnot). I'd never really thought about it before. I do pay more attention to people's teeth now, but more anthropologically or something, and not from some "Eww" point of view.

Destor

#52 Post by Destor »

Hmmmm, I wouldn't hold it against the person, a guy espescially couldn't care less if it was a friend with crooked teeth, and for dating it would never stop me from being interested in someone.

But I'd be lieing if I didn't say that in the future, I'll be partial to girls that have gone to the same trouble that we have, tit for tat.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

catbutt

#53 Post by catbutt »

I'm like totally obsessed with teeth now and have to try and not stare at people's teeth when they are talking.

And when I see someone with really really messed up teeth, like worse than my own, I feel bad for them, cause I know they probably don't like it. Like when I look at old pictures of myself now I don't even know how I could even leave the house with teeth like that (mine were really bad, not like some of you who have like 1 or 2 teeth out of line :) )

Like there's this woman who takes my train who's teeth are yellow and crooked, and her two front teeth are like twisted and sticking out. Like I don't even think she can hide them ever by putting her lips over them. (like i used to do w/ my teeth). I really just wanna give her my orthodontist's # or something!

jcdamon3

#54 Post by jcdamon3 »

I think there are alot of people on this board that got braces for reasons other than how their teeth looked. Hec, if I just wanted straight teeth, and I was totally vain, why wouldn't I just get a whole bunch of veneers? It would have been a heck of alot easier!

If you think you like perfect teeth go see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and stare at Wonka's teeth for two hours! I thought, oh my god if my teeth look like straight white chiclets after this I will just die! I was very freaked out! Since seeing that movie I have decided not to whiten my teeth to hollywood white and to not fix the small chip in my front tooth. I want there to be some individuality to my smile once my braces are off. The upside? I won't have to pay for expensive whitening or bonding. I will probably buy some Crest strips at Costco and leave it at that.

I really don't want people staring at my teeth. They are part of my face, yes just part of my face. My eyes are hopefully what people notice. My nose? Well if I was really vain I would also go get a nose job. And then, let's see what else could I go fix? There are so many imperfections with myself that trying to make even one thing perfect is ridiculous.

flotsam

#55 Post by flotsam »

jcdamon3 wrote:If you think you like perfect teeth go see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and stare at Wonka's teeth for two hours! I thought, oh my god if my teeth look like straight white chiclets after this I will just die! I was very freaked out! Since seeing that movie I have decided not to whiten my teeth to hollywood white and to not fix the small chip in my front tooth. I want there to be some individuality to my smile once my braces are off. The upside? I won't have to pay for expensive whitening or bonding. I will probably buy some Crest strips at Costco and leave it at that.
I'm with you on that! Blinding white chiclets look weird to me, too. As for bonding, my upper laterals are kind of little compared to the rest of my teeth. I was originally going to have them bonded, but then I decided not to. It was partially an expense thing, but mostly because I wanted my teeth to be as natural as possible, because, as you mention, it's a slippery slope when you go about fixing all your "flaws." :)

butterfly

#56 Post by butterfly »

jcdamon3 wrote:Hec, if I just wanted straight teeth, and I was totally vain, why wouldn't I just get a whole bunch of veneers? It would have been a heck of alot easier!
Veneers won't fix your bite. Besides veneers are fake while braces just move your own teeth around.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

sammylynn

#57 Post by sammylynn »

I don't really judge other people for this but I do notice more... and I guess when it comes to celebrities I do jiudge becaue I can't understand a a person with a slew of money doesn't take the time to fix them.. I mean I am broke but I'm doing it:)

Gennel

#58 Post by Gennel »

I would NEVER,EVER judge anyone because of crooked teeth,missing teeth,dentures, etc... Only because I know how painful it has been for me my whole life. I have canines that are high and 1 front tooth overlaps the other front tooth etc...My teeth are very white because it's theonly thing I have control over. I use a Rembrandt whitening gel & tray. Or I just put a little gel on my toothbrush with regular Rembrandt toothpaste. It has lighten my teeth I would say at least 3-4 shades . I finally got the courage to call my daughter's orthodontist office and talk to one of their assistants and ask a bunch of questions and just did it, I made my first appt for the consultation. This has ruled mylife for over 30 yrs and has caused issues in my marriage because of my shyness. I will probably take some sort of sedative before I go to my appt because I am that afraid of hearing terrible news. I keep thinking the worst! lol

sorry to get off the subject. The one thing that I find myself doing now is looking at celebrities teeth and so many of them have really bad lower teeth. Honestly if I had that kind of money I would do the veneers.
Even when my teeth are straight I would never think about judging a person's teeth.

Brooke

#59 Post by Brooke »

To judge someone by their teeth is kinda wrong. Sorry, I don't care whether they are straight or not. Teeth don't define character. If someone is vein enough to judge by teeth, they aren't worth a second glance anyways. Why waste time on someone that doesn't care about the inside but outer appearance? I had crooked teeth and I consider myself a nice person. I met my fiance before I straightened my teeth and he loved me through and through. I am actually surprised by a lot of these responses. This site is for those that feel they are being judged due to braces and other appliances. Then I come to read this and see that some here are judgemental of those that have teeth flaws. Thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. Money is a big issue. Some can't fork out the thousands it costs. Whatever the reason, there's no excuse to judge someone unless you know them.
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

missingu

#60 Post by missingu »

I am thankful this is described as a web site for "adults" with braces, because there's no way I would want children reading what has been written on this thread.

I hesitate to think what children would think of the "adults" who advocate not to tease someone with a disability, to embrace diversity, and not to judge someone because they may wear the same shirt everyday for a week - we tell them the family is probably having money problems and that may be all they can afford the child, so treat the child like anyone else.

Oh, but don't play with schoolmates with bad teeth. You know what kind of people THEY are...