question about the wire...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flora2006

question about the wire...

#1 Post by Flora2006 »

I know that some of you have tried cutting the end of the wire when it start pocking you or you have tried pushing it out of the way...I'm scared of doing that because I'm scared I'll somehow break the wire or something.

So my question is...how long should the wire be before getting it cut by the ortho? I don't just want to go there and him telling me that it's not too bad or something...but today my cheek started bleeding so much because the wire really cut me badly...I do have an adjustment on the 6th but I don't know if I can wait that long and just keep putting wax...I keep bleeding when I'm brushing my teeth and my left cheek is soooo cut up...

Also, when you go and get braces on, does the wire even poke just a little bit or is it completely out of sight and you only start seeing the wire as there is movement going on? I was just wondering...I guess i'm hoping that the answer is that the ortho cuts the wire really really close to the bracket...and that would mean that there has been movement in my teeth...:)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

butterfly

#2 Post by butterfly »

Never ever temper with your braces!! You might damage them or even worse, hurt yourself. Maybe cutting a wire yourself is OK if someone who knows how to use a professional wirecutter helps you. But you need good light, good eyes and steady hands... Don't know. My ortho said NO to all these do it yourself experiments. I had a really bad poking wire and my husband tried to temper with it. At the end he hurt me unintentionally. Don't do that! If anything cuts me I can call my ortho's cellphone and they remove it ASAP. The wire is not supposed to poke you or even make your cheek bleed! This is NOT ok. Go there and let them cut it. It's a one second job.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Thank you for your replies. My ortho had asked me if anything was poking but at the time I don't think I felt anything...it was just a few days later and now that wire is just poking me 24/7 and cuts my cheeks.

He did tell me that I could call if anything and that I could come and get it cut, I was just worried that I was making a big deal out of nothing since the wire isn't too long yet...just long enough to bother me :?

I think I will call and get it cut, thanks again :)

~~~~~~

rangerchic

this just happen

#4 Post by rangerchic »

I just went yesterday and when I left nohting was bothering me! I bet an hour later it was poking me. I tired to bend it back, I like to use the end of a tweezer! Sometimes it just works enough other times I have to go and do it a few times

RC

weird_wired

#5 Post by weird_wired »

Go as soon as it gets uncomfortable. If they can't clip it and you have to use wax, they won't mind telling you. But usually they can clip it.

I once tried to clip mine with pliers - so dumb. All I did was scrape the corner of my lip so it looked like I had a coldsore for a week while it healed. The ortho laughed and laughed.

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

lol yeah that's why i don't want to do anything myself...i rather go and get it fixed by a professional because knowing me, i would break the wire or knock a bracket off!

~~~~~~

hannah164

#7 Post by hannah164 »

I also have a pretty darn poky wire right now and I only just went to the ortho on Saturday and I have another adjustment on Wednesday and this week is finals so I think I'm just going to try to wait it out! :?

I think one of the two wires on top came out when they took off the ligs! :shock: But I kind of tucked it back up at the top of my back band and it really hasn't bothered me other than being too long lately! :roll:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment is 2/1/06 where they will bond a bracket to my cuspid which was impacted!!!!