Expander Placed - 1/20/06

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssfw

Expander Placed - 1/20/06

#1 Post by ssfw »

I got my Quad Helix expander placed in my upper jaw today. It was a fairly easy appointment today. I truly think I've had a positive outlook on the ortho treatment because both of the orthodontists are so kind and easy to talk to - I feel very comfortable asking them any questions. I can really tell that they enjoy both their work and patients.

The expander is alot smaller than I expected. I am getting poked in the cheek with the expander - the ortho assistant had informed me that I can use wax on the metal if it pokes me in the cheek but she said my cheeks will get use to it. I'm trying to avoid using the wax unless I get really desperate - who knows why. Every now and then my tongue seems to get caught in the coil (?). Eating was fairly easy (and I hope that continues) but getting the food out of the expander was a challenge. I'm pretty sure I will be eating a bit less - getting the food out is a real challenge. I'm also sure that I will also be eating alot less sweets, oh well, maybe I won't even crave for sweets by the time I'm done with ortho treatment - probably not! I'm hoping I will not have too many problems with this expander. It has effected my speech a bit but my orthodontist said it usually takes a week for the eating and speech to get back to normal.

If anyone knows of other things that will happen with the Quad Helix expander, let me know.

I'm still trying to figure out how this expander widens the upper arch - I'll probably ask at my next appt.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

mackenzie

#2 Post by mackenzie »

I'm really glad everything is going fairly well for you!

Kell

#3 Post by Kell »

I'm glad it's going okay for you. I was interested to see what you had to say about the Quad Helix expander because my 7 year old will be getting one. Most likely he will get his this summer. I'm trying to give him little bits of information about it beforehand so he is prepared.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi Kelly,

I have only had the expander placed for 24 hours so I can't claim I'm a pro at this. For now I haven't had many problems. It is a strange feeling have the appliance in my mouth but I'm kind of use to it now and it was alot smaller than I had expected. Yes, the hook on the metal band poked into my cheek - yesterday it just felt like it was stuck to my cheek and I just used my tongue to get it unstuck, it irritated my cheeks slightly. I didn't use any wax on the hooks even though the ortho assitant told me that this can be done if the hooks irritate me. I was just seeing what would happen if I didn't use the wax. This morning the hooks are still poking into my cheek and will probably continue to do that since the band has no where to go, but my cheeks seemed to be use to it now and my cheeks are no longer irritated..

Regarding talking with the expander, it has effected my speech slightly but if you talk slowly it s/b fine. My ortho was estimating a week for eating and talking to be back to normal.

Regarding eating, yes food did stick to the expander. I tried rinsing with water to get most of the food out but kept feeling that there was still some in the expander. I tried using the intraoral brush that the ortho gave to me (this little brush is a life saver and I will be placing one in my purse so that I have it should I need it if I'm not home). I got alot more of the food out with this brush but just kept thinking I didn't get it all out. When I tried flossing between the bands I had trouble getting the floss in and was afraid that I might break or unglue something so I called the ortho's office and the assitant told me that I can floss between the teeth where the bands are but may have to push hard to get the floss in - it worked - after this it's easy the next time. When flossing I was able to get small bits of food out.

I know I will be reducing my sugar intake by alot and will probably eat a bit less - it's a challenge/hassle to get the food out from the expander. So far I have not felt any pain. My ortho told me that this type of expander seems to be more gentle. I am just hoping that I continue to be pain-free but my ortho did tell me yesterday to expect some irritation/discomfort in about 2-3 days/to last for 2-3 days (I can't remember which one it was).

Keep in mind that everyone, adults and children, have a different pain threshold level and I think sometimes it depends on how the appliance is placed. My orthodontist and the assistants have been kind and gentle and I think this often helps the patient.

I hope I still have this positive outlook of my expander in the weeks/months to come, but for now it's fine.

I hope this info. helps. I hope your ortho's office will show your son what they plan to do and show him a demo. of the expander, braces, etc. For me, knowing what to expect ahead of time has been the answer to a successful start with ortho. treatment along with having the orthodontist and his staff be the kind people that they are -as I mentioned in a previous post, I enjoy going to the orthodontist appts.

I hope your son enjoys ortho. treatment as I have (for now) - it's not liking the braces, I guess it's looking at improvement of how your teeth will look.

ssfw

Kell wrote:I'm glad it's going okay for you. I was interested to see what you had to say about the Quad Helix expander because my 7 year old will be getting one. Most likely he will get his this summer. I'm trying to give him little bits of information about it beforehand so he is prepared.
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

samantha_lou

#5 Post by samantha_lou »

I'm really glad that the expander seems to be going well for you so far, my ortho also said that it just takes about a week for speech and eating to return to normal - although like you, I think I'll probably be careful with what I'm eating once I get mine. I'm not sure what kind of expander I'll be getting, my ortho did show me one that he had come in for another patient, he told me that mine would be fairly similar but I can't remember now exactly what it looked like on the model.

I'll find out more when I actually go in for my appointment, and I already have plenty of questions to ask! I must admit, I'm getting impatient and I want the braces like right now!! I don't want to have the expander first, but I'm trusting my ortho's judgement on what is the best way to proceed. I know I have a tiny arch, more than one dentist has commented on it over the years, my ortho has said that I will have a much fuller smile (and functional bite) if we can make that a little bigger, and then allign everything nicely with the braces to finish off.

Kell

#6 Post by Kell »

Thanks for all the extra information. That is very helpful.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Kittysopretty

#7 Post by Kittysopretty »

When I was 12 or 13 I had an expander and let me tell ya....they have come a long way it sounds. Mine went straight across the roof of my mouth and I could hardly talk at all. Plus food would wrap around it and I would nearly choke!! Plus, there was an attic-like area....lol...like a loft....between the roof of my mouth and the expander....food would get up there. *cringe* I got used to it eventually.