Attaching Molars to Jawbone (instead of using headgear)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bianca

Attaching Molars to Jawbone (instead of using headgear)

#1 Post by Bianca »

I remember at my consultation the ortho mentioned headgear, and an option that could be used in place of headgear.

It was something like attaching the back molars to the jawbone with a spring or something.

Has anyone heard of this? What is it?

It scared the daylights out of me so I didn't ask any questions at the time, but figured now (before it comes up again) would be a great time to find out some info.

It's a two year process.......

Bianca

#2 Post by Bianca »

Alas, you know what I know...

aka I have no other info at this point, I was just trying to find out any information on whatever this thing might have been.

Oh well, I guess I'll find out eventually!

dr.j

#3 Post by dr.j »

The doc is referring to small mini-implants that go into the jaw bone and the back molars are tethered to these so that they do not move forward during space closure and overjet reduction. If done right, it's as painless as a filling and really a great service to the patient. This technique - using TADS "temporary anchorage devices" - may change the way we can do orthodontics. Ask more questions. I'm sure I've "run off" several adults who were totally into getting braces until I mentioned this option. I would think that any docs offering this as an alternative to headgear are pretty forward thinking orthodontists.
Dr.J - Ortho

dr.j

#4 Post by dr.j »

If you want pictures go to rmortho.com (rocky mountain orthodontics) and look at the DUAL TOP implant info and brochure (PDF). Pretty neat.

PS-I have no financial interest in this or any other ortho appliances.
Dr.J - Ortho

Bianca

#5 Post by Bianca »

Hey - that looks like what my orthodontist showed me! :)

It still looks scary, but I appreciate your words about it - maybe it ain't so bad.

Thank you so much for that link, it really helped me understand!