Wondering whether to get braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Leanne

Wondering whether to get braces

#1 Post by Leanne »

Hi all, I'm new to this site, Chrissiewhissie who some of you may know told me this was a great place to get some help and advice. I am 23 and have been referred on the NHS to an orthodontist. My upper arch is smaller than my lower and my bite is 3mm out. It causes me great discomfort when I sleep trying to make room in my mouth and I know have a slight lisp and find it hard to eat as i can't bite through food. I have been told that to correct my bite and teeth i will need a major jaw operation and braces for 3 years. Because it's on the NHS i'm worried that they have tried to scare me off by making me feel like this is MAJOR surgery and it may change the way I look and that my cheeks and tongue may even, in 2-3 years, push my teeth back to where they were. Can you help me because I really don't know whether to go for it or just leave them the way they are and not take the risk????!!!!! Thanks!!!!

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi Leanne,

I completely agree with KK. In fact, if you could get more than 2 ortho evaluations that may help you also. When making your decision, keep in mind that you went to the ortho evaluation in hopes of correcting your ortho problems. Hopefully they can correct it without surgery. Doesn't your type of dental coverage pay for the services 100%? If they do and after you get at least one more opinion, keep in mind that you're still young and will be so glad that you got you proceeded with ortho treatment when you're in your 20's rather than when you're older - and all/most of it will be paid for by your insurance.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Princess Braceface

go for it!

#3 Post by Princess Braceface »

Hi, you sound really worried about it all. Calm down! I think if you have the opportunity to get your treatment done now on the NHS - for free - you should go for it. Please don't wait until twenty years down the road when you end up waiting even longer for treatment on the NHS, and possibly not being able to get it on the NHS and then having to pay a major chunk of money to have it done privately.
I wished I'd continued my ortho treatment at 21 when I was having it done on the NHS. I never finished (it was an all too easily removable brace!) and now find I'm having it done privately at the age of 42.
Just something to think about!
Good luck and don't worry, it'll all work out. If you're having pain now and trouble sleeping, it's best to get it sorted.

missing_tooth

#4 Post by missing_tooth »

I would like to chime in here. I suggest you spend some time and weigh all the options. Your 23, the sooner you get things done, the better off you will be. As I've been informed as you move out of your teen years into adult hood your bone harden and grow more brittle over the years. In short, things are going to be easier the soon they are done. Just ask yourself, can I live with my teeth/bite the way it is for the rest of my life? If your going to do something like this your probably better off sooner rather than later.

- Missing Tooth -

LizzyG

#5 Post by LizzyG »

A friend of mine who is 29, has had jaw surgery and braces fitted on the NHS, I'm not sure what his problems were, I think maybe his lower jaw was too far forward? Anyway, he is doing fine, he had the operation, which was the year before last, and now he has braces on. He goes to the hospital orhtodontist.

So don't worry, you will be in good hands and they wouldn't suggest having that done on the NHS if it wasn't necessary - it is very rare to be able to get orthodontic treatment done on the NHS as an adult.

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

Hello and welcome, friend of the famed ChrissieWhissie! :wink:

Although you may get your treatment done by an NHS dentist, would you be able to pay on your own for a consultation with a private orthodontist? It might be a good idea to get another opinion so that you can be sure what you're dealing with.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!