Diastema

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

posum

Diastema

#1 Post by posum »

Hi, I'm thinking about getting braces to fix my diastema. Has anyone gotten orthodontic treatment for this? Does it really work? What are the chances of a relapse? The last thing I want is to go through 1 1/2 yrs of treatment and pay an exorbitant amount of money, to have the end result be worse than it is. Are there any problems that I may encounter along the way? Any insight would be very much appreciated.

blaat

#2 Post by blaat »

Hi,

I think a diastema wouldn't be a big problem to fix but it really depends on y our occlusion (bite). Most of the times when people choose for orthodontic treatment the whole mouth will be treated ( i.e improving your bite and esthetic appearance) The chances of relapse will vary on retaining methods, patients' discipline (wearing rX schedule) and ofcourse your own body. Most of the time it wouldn't be a problem. Common problems you can encounter during your treatment will be discomfort and getting food stuck between the brackets. Some more serious problems like resorption are not so common. If you asked me the question about considering orthodontic treatment 5 years ago i would have said 'no'. But taking the plunge was totally worth it....

Think about it...

PS: Another possibility is placing veneers or bonding to close the diastema and improve the appearance of the teeth.
Uppers: Permanent retainer + hawley (night)
Lowers: Permanent retainer

Debanded since the 16th of Jan.

posum

#3 Post by posum »

Thanks so much for your response. I have considered getting veneeres but I'm having trouble coming to terms with tooth reduction and placing something foreign in my mouth that is irreversible. i tried lumineers without reduction and had them removed cuz it looked horrible. Now my teeth feel all weird and it seems that my two front teeth are thinner but the dentist swears that its only on a microscopic level.
I'm just so worried about all the issues/problems that can occur during orthodontic treatment...such as root resorption and gum recession. It seems that you recommend getting the braces. So you think the pain as well as the money and time invested is totally worth it?

ronni

#4 Post by ronni »

what is diastema :?:

posum

#5 Post by posum »

Gap b/w two front teeth.

blaat

#6 Post by blaat »

Hi,

Gum recession is pretty common with crowded occlusions but can be treated. Root resorption is another story, i don't know if there's a proper treatment for this condition (except for extractions). You know, i was in the same position as you before i started my treatment. If i was concerned about a certain problem about my teeth i could call the ortho and let him check it out. And if some of these symptons will occur the ortho can take action or abort treatment before it's too late. So you will probably be monitored every 4/6 weeks (adjustments)... I don't think you have to worry about it that much.

Concerning the pain... The first week is not nice, your mouth is sore and eating is a pain in the ass. After 1.5 week the pain subsides and your mouth adjusts to the braces. After adjustments you may experience discomfort and soreness wich will usually last for 3/4 days (i couldn't even call it pain..) After +- 6 months your mouth will be so well adjusted that the braces become a part of your teeth. The rest of the ride should be a smooth one, even with elastics...

As for the money, if the appearance of your teeth bother you this much that it really affects your self confidence and social life i would definitely invest the money. The effects are permanent and you will sport a million dollar smile for the rest of your life. Besides that, the chance of developing
gingvitis and cavities will get lower because the teeth are easier to clean in their ideal positions.

If you decide to go into orthodontic treatment i highly recommend to adress all your questions and doubts to the doc (because i'm not :roll: )

Good luck and keep us posted!

susieq182

#7 Post by susieq182 »

A friend of mine is going to get veneers to help hide a gap and some odd shaped teeth she has to have braces to correct allignment before the cosmetic dentist will place the caps. I would say correcting the problem is so worth it. have you read the article about 6 month braces?
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

posum

#8 Post by posum »

Once again, thanks for getting back to me...i really appreciate it. there isnt really any crowding in my mouth, its just gaps. i've only started noticing them over the last 2 years or so. im not sure if they've always been there. if you abort treatment , won't your teeth be even more screwed up? i'm assuming that i will be left w/ gaps everywhere and that my bite will be misaligned.
do you think it makes more sense to seek treatment w/ an orthodontist that you've neve had any work done with before or stick w/ your regular dentist that specializes in cosmetics and implants? it seems as though 90% of ppl seek treatment with an actuall orthodontist but my dentist has been doing orthodontic work for a long time and im comfortable w/ him. i know he'll take good care of me and my teeth. which would you advise.

posum

#9 Post by posum »

susieq - i heard about invisalign which would be great but my dentist said that it wouldnt fix the problem. he said its for minimal movement and correction. as for the six month braces, i havent really heard much about it but worried that its some kind of gimmick. i dont want to compromise results so concerned that shortened period of treatment might only fix problem temporarily and increase the chances of a relapse.

blaat

#10 Post by blaat »

Yes aborting treatment will make the teeth go to their original positions without a retainer, (shouldn't get worser i guess). Haha i've had a major history with my former dentist about orthodontics. I've decided 2.5 years ago that i wanted to straighten my teeth, my dentist was active in orthodontics and i asked her to set up a treatment plan. After a couple of weeks and dozens of xrays and molds later she diagnosed me with a class II/I open bite, crowding in both arches and a candidate for extractions. I had a sentence of 2.5 to 3 years of active treatment with full braces and extractions of 4 perfectly healthy molars... I was shocked and i requested a second opinion with a real orthodontist. The ortho reviewed my case and he gave me a treatment time of 1 year with NO extractions, the ortho even said that her treatment plan will cause an unstable result with very high chances of relapse. i was totally flabbergasted and i even considered sueing my dentist. So i experienced on first hand that you really must pick someone you trust, in my case it was the orthodontist. I really dont know how qualified your dentist is and i can't give an opinion about it... I hope this answer will help you in your decision

Greetings

posum

#11 Post by posum »

Blaat...How do you know who to trust then? I mean the diagnosis/plan of treatment were so different. Is your orthodontic work complete? Are you happy w/ the results?

blaat

#12 Post by blaat »

Yep since last monday i'm braces free and i'm thrilled with the results. The only thing i have to worry about now is wearing my retainer at night wich is no big deal. Well the contrast of 2.5 years and 4 extractions compared to 1 year of treatment with 0 extractions is pretty high. And the second choice was just more attractive and the ortho really helped me during the process and explained every step to me. That's why i preferred and trusted the orthodontist. Just look at all the external factors involved and i'm sure you can decide who to trust.

Greetings

posum

#13 Post by posum »

Blaat...Did you come across any complications during your treatment? Just wanna be mentally prepared.

blaat

#14 Post by blaat »

I just broke a few brackets, that's all...

bbsadmin

#15 Post by bbsadmin »

I recall several members of this board who had significant gaps between their front teeth. Braces totally fixed their problems and gave them great smiles afterward -- I remember seeing the photos. Have you tried searching this message board for the word "gap" or "front teeth gap" and seeing what comes up?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!