How are molar bands done?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spragers

#16 Post by spragers »

Stock up on wax and use big clumps if you have to, your cheeks will thank you, and they'll still toughen up after awhile just from having something there to irritate them a little (wax bumps as opposed to sharp pointy metal ;)

fins

#17 Post by fins »

Can you try rinsing with warm salt water? I also use peroxyl when things feel a bit sore and it seems to help heal sore spots. Here and there something might bother me but it usually stops within a few days after rinsing. Good luck
fins

NotBob1

#18 Post by NotBob1 »

Thanks, Meryaten, Unfortunately, I do need them. I have a crossbite and she is going to use some of them for elastic attachments going from inside on one arch to the outside on the other. Which sides, I don't know. Plus she tells me that there are always unknowns, so those can get used for a multitude of other attachments most of which I am afraid to find out!!!

Wishing I was cleatless in Seattle. Heck....wishing I was braceless in Seattle!!!!
Last edited by NotBob1 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

genxsis

#19 Post by genxsis »

Hey Notbob1:

I've got some good news for you! When I asked my ortho about those cleats, she said that they aren't as irritating once the bands are attached to them. I guess that means the same for me with those elastic hooks on the side of my molar bands too.

NotBob1

#20 Post by NotBob1 »

Well, that would be nice!!!

Only I -think- there is an attachment that goes on them for the elastics. Possibly the elastics attach to them, but I sure don't see how. Plus I doubt that I'll need all eight for elastics, atleast, I hope not.....

So how is your experience going today??
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

genxsis

#21 Post by genxsis »

Today is pretty much the same as the others. I had oatmeal this morning as ususal, but I don't try chewing it. I just swish it around my mouth a little and then swallow. Each day I've done this and have still managed to bite my cheek somehow. Very, very frustrating!

Huon

#22 Post by Huon »

Hi, Genxsis.
Try Orabase on the inside of your cheeks. It feels peculiar but it works well. Wax is good on the outside of the bands but your ortho should be able to put ligatures on, even if there is no archwire there. That will smooth out the sharp edges. The cleats on the inside can also have ligs put on them to smooth them out, or you may be able to have your ortho grind them off, if they are not going to be needed. Someone also posted about having blobs of bracket cement put on to round them off.
If you can follow all this, or even if you can't, good luck.
Huon

genxsis

#23 Post by genxsis »

Huon:

As far as the cleats, they bent them down when they put them on at the ortho's office. I asked about grinding them off, and she told me they don't ever do that. I will ask about putting a lig on the brackets, although my appt. for braces installation is on the 31st. I may be able to just wait until then.