Damon 3 Wearers, Please Check In!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

zzblonde

#16 Post by zzblonde »

crystalrnc wrote:Does anyone have pics they wouldn't mind posting? I know, I'm just so anxious :oops: I'm 26 y/o and FINALLY getting braces :D

BTW, to sweeten the pot I have crowding, 4 wisdom teeth & 1 baby tooth, (possibly 2 addt'l teeth to "reduce my profile", so says the ortho) that will be extracted. FUN FUN FUN :-*
Anxious doesn't begin to discribe what I'm feeling now...my nerves are on overdrive. Just to let you know you're not the only 26 y/o out here...I can't remember when I started saving $$ for this day. So close... :?

zzblonde

#17 Post by zzblonde »

crystalrnc wrote:Does anyone have pics they wouldn't mind posting? I know, I'm just so anxious :oops: I'm 26 y/o and FINALLY getting braces :D

BTW, to sweeten the pot I have crowding, 4 wisdom teeth & 1 baby tooth, (possibly 2 addt'l teeth to "reduce my profile", so says the ortho) that will be extracted. FUN FUN FUN :-*
Anxious doesn't begin to discribe what I'm feeling now...my nerves are on overdrive. Just to let you know you're not the only 26 y/o out here...I can't remember when I started saving $$ for this day. So close... :?

Nikkiekoala

#18 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I have Damon 3's. Been in them for over 5 months. There is some discomfort after getting them on but for me it was nothing I couldn't handle. They are fairly easy to keep clean, no ligs so no worries about staining. Adjustments are spaced 8-10 weeks apart altho' sometimes at 6 weeks. I am having me first 6 week time frame since getting them on because we are on the verge of getting my crossbite moved. I have been in for 2 adjustments since getting them and both appointments were about an hour which is long. My first adjustment they finshed putting on some more molar bands, my second appoint was a pana xray and repositioning some brackets. They are very small compared to traditional metal but still visiable. I don't mind that people can see them they are a sign of improvement so I wear them proudly. I haven't had issues of sticky doors, I did a little when my Dr. used the little button to open them but now they use pliers so they pop right open without any discomfort.
Good luck!!

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

usa1

#19 Post by usa1 »

I hate to be the stick in the mud. I have 2's on bottom and 3's on top. By far I prefer the 2's. I am always having trouble with the 3's doors poping open. I have been back 3 times to get the doors closed and 1 time to get a Damon 3 bracket put back on. I have had no problems at all with the Damon 2's. In fact I just got back from a 1:00 appointment today to get the door closed on my front tooth. By the time I got in it had almost moved back into its old position. After 2-3 weeks it really wont matter what you have you will get used to it. If I had green brackets and a yellow wire I doubt it would bother me.
Braces July 26 2005
Treatment time 24 months
Damon 3's top Damon 2's bottom

crystalrnc

#20 Post by crystalrnc »

Nikkiekoala wrote:I have Damon 3's. Been in them for over 5 months. There is some discomfort after getting them on but for me it was nothing I couldn't handle. They are fairly easy to keep clean, no ligs so no worries about staining. Adjustments are spaced 8-10 weeks apart altho' sometimes at 6 weeks. I am having me first 6 week time frame since getting them on because we are on the verge of getting my crossbite moved. I have been in for 2 adjustments since getting them and both appointments were about an hour which is long. My first adjustment they finshed putting on some more molar bands, my second appoint was a pana xray and repositioning some brackets. They are very small compared to traditional metal but still visiable. I don't mind that people can see them they are a sign of improvement so I wear them proudly. I haven't had issues of sticky doors, I did a little when my Dr. used the little button to open them but now they use pliers so they pop right open without any discomfort.
Good luck!!
What a great way to look at it! Today makes exactly 3 wks (or 21 days) until I get my braces put on. I sway b/t excitement & nervousness. I know that the end will justify the means though. Thanks to all who checked in. Once I get over the braces, then I have to worry a/b the 7 (yes 7) teeth that have to come out! :oops:
Soon to be Braced with Damon 3's on 2.8.06. Yippee! ^_^

Leslie022

#21 Post by Leslie022 »

This is my third day with the Damon 3's. I have had little to no pain. A few of my teeth feel a little loose but that's about it. I have a gap in between my front teeth and I can feel with my tongue that it is SLIGHTLY smaller. My appointments are also scheduled 8 weeks apart. Damon's are worth the extra money...

LizzyG

#22 Post by LizzyG »

I'm getting Damon braces on 10th Feb, so not long after you! And I feel the same as you - swinging between excitement and terror LOL!

But I'm not sure whether mine are Damon 2's or 3's - have a feeling they are 2's.

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

adollface

#23 Post by adollface »

I have had Damon 2's for 13 months now. They don't bother me at all. After getting them on I had one person tell me it looked like I had little stars on my teeth (she was a kindergarten teacher). Anyway, contrary to what some people may say I believe that Damons do work faster and so does my ortho. He no longer uses anything else. My original estimated time was 20 months but now that is down to 16 months. Of course some of that has to do with you and how fast your teeth move. My daughter is going to be getting Damon 3's on next month (same ortho) and while she is slightly disappointed in not getting to pick colored ligs (she is 8 years old) she is excited about having the same braces (almost the same) as Mommy. Good luck with your experience.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

jcdamon3

#24 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have had my damon3's for about 6 months now. I try not to count. Anyway, I like them. They do seem to stick out a little more. It took me about 3 months to get to a point where I can eat anything I want and talk all night long and not have a sore mouth. I am older though (uh, mid-late 40's) so I may take longer to heal than younger folks. Sad, but true. They are smaller but still show quite a bit when I smile.

There is very little pain with adjustments. I just take a couple of motrin that night before bed and chew softly for a few days.

My doctor says I am doing great and right on schedule. Pretty good for an old girl. I will be in braces for 18-24 months. I hope when he says I am on schedule he means for the 18 months. :-) But I don't ask, cuz I'm not counting....

My ortho ONLY does damon3. He has been in business for a long time and switched over completely. That says alot about these brackets, I think. Otherwise, why would he do it? Most likely he makes more money via less treatment time and less visits than with regular braces. The only other financial gain I can think of would be the brackets themselves. But how could that be since the damon3 seem more high tech than regular brackets? I am rambling.

My treatment was a bit more expensive than my daughter who is going to a different ortho. My Ortho told me that he has 50% adult patients. This may be because he is exclusively damon3 and the kids really want the colored ligs, like my daughter. She just got pink powerchains for her 8th grade grad pictures. So cute!

Anyway if anyone wants a good referral in the South Bay Area, California, let me know. These guys are great! There are three orthos in the office so there is always someone there to help you. The receptionist is sweet and all of the assistants have been very nice. I never have to wait more than 30 seconds for an appointment. (seriously). And I was able to MOVE my appointment easily recently. They were very accomodating.

I have had no brackets breaking, no wires breaking so far and no trouble getting the little doors open. And I didn't have bands put on my molars because they couldn't put the spacers in. So here I am with brackets glued right to my second molars. No problem.

Good luck to you. When I decided to get braces the wait would have been excruciating for me so I schedule the first spacer visit like that week. I needed the initial unknowns to be overwith right away!

gemini

#25 Post by gemini »

Ok, here is a link to the other post where I have a pic. By the way, I too am 26 yo.

Top is definetly Damon 3s. Bottom I am not sure how they are called, but they have the same mechanism as the Damon 3s except they don't have the clear part.

viewtopic.php?t=8674

As for how confortable they are... Well, I have nothing to compare them to, so I don't know. They've been OK for me, there is only one bracket (the one with the hook) that hurts me; there is the "bulky" feeling of the others, but nothing out of this world. :)

jrh37

Damon 3's

#26 Post by jrh37 »

I have to say that the build-up and anxiety before getting braced is SO MUCH worse than actually having them. I was freaking out the month or so before I got them on, researching pictures online, practicing smiling with my mouth closed, and just about could not stomach anything since I was so anxious.....

I now have Damon 3's on top and bottom, since October 31st. As much as I don't love the idea that I have them as a 23 year old female, I have to tell you that I rarely remember I even have them in my mouth! I am almost surprised every morning when I brush my teeth and see them in the mirror...it is like they aren't even there.

I truly don't recall any discomfort the day I got them on..there was no pain at all. The only thing is in the morning, after a very good night sleep, I sometimes find my lips have deep imprints on the inside from the brackets, which sometimes causes discomfort early in the morning...that is about it.

As for how they look, they are braces...they are smaller than regular ones, which I like, but they are metal and visible--that is just the truth and you just have to get over it. Check out this pic: http://www.sitewiz.co.uk/v2/sites/total ... damon3.jpg, I think it is pretty realistic....

GOOD LUCK! In the end, no matter what happens, you will be able to handle it all--the look, comfort, everything!

dsajzp01

damon 3's

#27 Post by dsajzp01 »

Ok, fill me in everyone, I had my damon's put on 11-05...could not tell you if they are 2's or 3's...and what are these doors that you all are talking about sticking? also I was wanting to know if your teeth are suppose to look worse before they get better. my bottom teeth were always crooked, but now...my gosh...they are very crooked!! is this normal?

Nikkiekoala

#28 Post by Nikkiekoala »

The doors are on the brackets. They are what holds the wire in. Regular metal brackets need the little rubber bands (ligatures) to hold the wire.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

crystalrnc

Re: Damon 3's

#29 Post by crystalrnc »

jrh37 wrote:I have to say that the build-up and anxiety before getting braced is SO MUCH worse than actually having them. I was freaking out the month or so before I got them on, researching pictures online, practicing smiling with my mouth closed, and just about could not stomach anything since I was so anxious.....

I now have Damon 3's on top and bottom, since October 31st. As much as I don't love the idea that I have them as a 23 year old female, I have to tell you that I rarely remember I even have them in my mouth! I am almost surprised every morning when I brush my teeth and see them in the mirror...it is like they aren't even there.

I truly don't recall any discomfort the day I got them on..there was no pain at all. The only thing is in the morning, after a very good night sleep, I sometimes find my lips have deep imprints on the inside from the brackets, which sometimes causes discomfort early in the morning...that is about it.

As for how they look, they are braces...they are smaller than regular ones, which I like, but they are metal and visible--that is just the truth and you just have to get over it. Check out this pic: http://www.sitewiz.co.uk/v2/sites/total ... damon3.jpg, I think it is pretty realistic....

GOOD LUCK! In the end, no matter what happens, you will be able to handle it all--the look, comfort, everything!
Thanks jrh37, but unfortunately when I clicked on the link, it said "page can not be displayed". You are so right a/b the anxiety. I have literally become obsessed. When I see other adults with bracelets, I ask them questions. Most people are very forthcoming with information. ALL have said that when you first get them put on, you wonder if you've done the right thing :roll:

Gemini, thanks for the pics. I hope that mine are straight across like yours and many of the other posters, and not in a rollercoaster.
Soon to be Braced with Damon 3's on 2.8.06. Yippee! ^_^