How long did YOUR impacted canine take to come into place?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

2thjewelry

#31 Post by 2thjewelry »

I was 45 when my impacted cuspid was first exposed. I've heard that if you're older it takes longer to move, but I think it depends also on the where the tooth is and (I'm guessing on this one) what methods are used to move it. Of the other impacted cuspids described on this forum, I haven't seen any being manipulated the way mine is. My sister had the same procedure done when she was in her mid-20s and it didn't take as long as mine is taking. Her braces were on for about 2 years total.

to Way to Old for This -- mind if I ask how your tooth is being pulled in? I saw your description of how your tooth was "tunneled around" during exposure. With mine they simply cut a hole to it and put the button on. In the second exposure, they cut out a little more of the gum around it so that I can a little more of the tooth where the button is attached. I'm wondering if by doing the extra "tunneling" they didn't give your tooth more room for movement from the bone and that's why it might be going faster.

Way Too Old For This

#32 Post by Way Too Old For This »

2thjewelry wrote:
to Way to Old for This -- mind if I ask how your tooth is being pulled in? I saw your description of how your tooth was "tunneled around" during exposure. With mine they simply cut a hole to it and put the button on. In the second exposure, they cut out a little more of the gum around it so that I can a little more of the tooth where the button is attached. I'm wondering if by doing the extra "tunneling" they didn't give your tooth more room for movement from the bone and that's why it might be going faster.
I think the 'tunneling' process probably released the tooth from the bone somewhat. Then it looked like he made sort of a tunnel from where the baby tooth was to the exposed tooth. (That's what my husband says, it made me a little sick to my stomach to look at it. I actually fainted the third day when I started looking around---and I thought I was really stronger than that!) My tooth was very close to the surface but towards the middle of my palate, so it has a ways to go, but the whole tooth is exposed. The skin around it is so much less sensitive now. If I had one on the other side of my palate I would never have to worry about burning the roof of my mouth with hot food or drinks!!

About 3 or 4 days after the exposure they tied the gold chain to my arch wire. After about a week, the gold chain popped off of the exposed tooth. That was scary because they thought I would have to go back to the oral surgeon to have it put back on, but thanks to the tunneling and a little movement on Ruth's (I had to name that tooth) part, he was able to put a bracket on her side. Which made me a really happy camper because the little metal ring holding the gold chain to the tooth was like a razor blade sticking straight down in the roof of my mouth.

They had her tied to the wire for about a month, then noticed she was moving towards the incisor, so then they started tying her to the molar's bracket. She is still going for the incisor though. I can feel her pushing on him. Before, the string (some kind of plastic fishing line I think) they had her tied with would be real tight the first week, then loose the second. Now, it was looser to start with and getting tighter everyday. That tells me that she is moving away from the direction she is supposed to be going. But at least she is moving! I go every other week to have her re-tied. I'm a real regular down there.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

2thjewelry

#33 Post by 2thjewelry »

Way too Old for This -- Your cuspid sounds like it's coming in the same path as mine, but the surgery you had was much more invasive than what I had. My ortho started movement off (after exposure) by pushing the tooth back away from my front teeth. She noticed movement but I didn't and only later found out that all the while I was anticipating the tooth moving into the space, it was actually being moved in another direction. After the second exposure I can now see just the very tip of white tooth where the button is attached. The button is linked to a heavy wire which is attached to lingual brackets (see how I'm learning the lingo?! :P ) to the two neighboring teeth molar-side. My ortho is concerned that the two teeth with lingual brackets are moving up as the cuspid moves in. I don't really notice it and it's not affecting my bite, so I'm hoping no harm, no foul, and the cuspid will just move in.

But on your tooth, I'm still thinking the quick movement is due to the intensity of the surgery you had. It seems to me that with us older folks you need to have a little more intervention and a little more pressure on to get that big tooth to come through that bone and gum. I don't know if that helps with the suffering you must've gone through, but perhaps it will shorten the length of time quite a bit for you.

Good luck to you! I'll be watching your progress.

Way Too Old For This

#34 Post by Way Too Old For This »

But on your tooth, I'm still thinking the quick movement is due to the intensity of the surgery you had. It seems to me that with us older folks you need to have a little more intervention and a little more pressure on to get that big tooth to come through that bone and gum. I don't know if that helps with the suffering you must've gone through, but perhaps it will shorten the length of time quite a bit for you.
If the way he 'routered' away the bone is helping Ruth make her trip faster then it was worth it. I'm pretty good at forgetting the pain of procedures. I'm not sorry I did it, but I am glad its over. And I guess the fact that I didn't know how bad it was going to be made me more eager. I just went to the office that day thinking he was simply going to numb the area and make a slit in the skin. Then when he started drilling, and drilling, and drilling, I got to thinking what in the world could he be drilling. The novacaine started to wear off while I was driving home.....

I think I was the oldest patient he ever did this to. Later when I told him how bad I was for like 6 days, he was astonished. He said his other patients never had a problem then he said "however, they are all about twelve years old" My left cheek is still numb...almost 4 months later. But at least I don't get sinus headaches now when they re-tie Ruth. So swelling and inflamation must be going down. He said I don't need to see him again for this but he would like me to report on how the progress is going. I don't think he is as optimistic as I am.

I do have to go back for an implant......another procedure they tell me is "nothing". Like they said about this last one.

missing_tooth

#35 Post by missing_tooth »

So glad to hear about these impacted teeth being brought down.

Just chiming in, I'm hoping my will.

I want to believe.

- Missing Tooth -

2thjewelry

#36 Post by 2thjewelry »

Way Too Old For This wrote:I think I was the oldest patient he ever did this to. Later when I told him how bad I was for like 6 days, he was astonished. He said his other patients never had a problem then he said "however, they are all about twelve years old" My left cheek is still numb...almost 4 months later. But at least I don't get sinus headaches now when they re-tie Ruth. So swelling and inflamation must be going down. He said I don't need to see him again for this but he would like me to report on how the progress is going. I don't think he is as optimistic as I am.
Sounds like my surgeon! I don't think he is as optimistic as I am either, but if I can get the canine in, I will avoid the implant altogether. On the other hand, if the canine doesn't come in, he gets to do the extraction and implant.

When I went in for the second exposure and I was telling him how I really was hopeful that it would work he said, "Well, you know, the problem is you're not 12!" He said it in a nice way, not facetiously, so we just laughed it off. He's a good guy and I know he'll be as pleased as me if it all works out.

Missing Tooth -- thanks for chiming in and sending your good vibes. Hope it all works out for you too! :)

nimo

#37 Post by nimo »

I have an impacted canine, much to my dismay, right behind the tooth. It's actually sticking out a little bit, and I can feel it with my tongue. For the longest time I simply thought it was part of the back part of my tooth. But x-rays proved me wrong.
I'm hoping, hoping, praying that since it's already slightly exposed, it won't take its sweet time coming down.
*sigh*
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Way Too Old For This

#38 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Lucy, I was worried about that exact same thing. I guess they aren't going to address that with me until they see if Ruth ever makes it over there.

Plus I was wondering what the roof of my mouth will look like once there is no tooth there. She has been there for almost 50 years, will there be a big dent? Will it affect the way I talk?

My dad's canine came all the way down in the roof of his mouth. Was like that his whole life, Now that I have to deal with Ruth sticking down a little, I wonder how in the world he was able to talk.

Shawnie

#39 Post by Shawnie »

Hi everybody -

I too will be having the exposure surgery on two impacted canines. It feels really good to know that I am not alone on this.

Lucyloop - I had talked with my dentist before being braced about this same issue regarding the gums. I still have both baby canines and the gum curve is lower than the other teeth. (hope that makes sense) She said that it's a natural thing that happens when a tooth comes in, the shape of the gums changes. So the gum shape is smaller/lower with a baby tooth and will be where it should be when there is a permanent tooth in place. Hope that helps.
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

Evelyn

#40 Post by Evelyn »

ichephren wrote:How old is everyone? I am trying to see if the length of time it takes really is corollated to what age you are.
Hehe I'm seventeen, so by that book mine should have come down quickly....alas alack that was not the case but at least it came down and I'm thankful for that

Evi
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

2thjewelry

I'm trying not to sound nutty here, but...

#41 Post by 2thjewelry »

To those of you who have canines coming in, and to those of you whose canine has already moved into place, I was just wondering if you ever noticed that the tooth coming in felt different in your mouth than it used to even though you couldn't see any change. Is that all in my head, or is that real movement?

Eleni

Re: I'm trying not to sound nutty here, but...

#42 Post by Eleni »

Shawnie wrote:So the gum shape is smaller/lower with a baby tooth and will be where it should be when there is a permanent tooth in place. Hope that helps.
Lucyloop wrote:Thanks Shawnie - I thought maybe it would all fall in to place (if &) when the teeth are in their correct position. Fingers crossed eh?!!
See, I figured that would be true too, but as my canine has come in from the back and not above, it has pushed the gum along with it, resulting in a heap of gum in front of it. There is so much that at the moment the gum line is covering practically half the tooth in front and is quite shallow in the back of the tooth. It is an issue I plan to raise at my appointment next week. I will also to photograph and post next week to have a record of it.

2thjewelry wrote:To those of you who have canines coming in, and to those of you whose canine has already moved into place, I was just wondering if you ever noticed that the tooth coming in felt different in your mouth than it used to even though you couldn't see any change. Is that all in my head, or is that real movement?
It feels WEIRD, period. I am not sure if it feels slicker because of the lack of tarter, being a new naked tooth with no build up. OR if it feels pointier, because of being use to a smaller baby canine in its place for years. OR I am conscious of it all the time because all the other teeth are aligned and it is still not in place. Probably check off all the above. In the end – yes, it feels VERY different.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

fyrelight

#43 Post by fyrelight »

Mine didn't have a problem when they came in.... but.... you have to remember, I had THREE exposure surgeries! The first one just attached the chain... the 2nd and 3rd were to leave uncovered the canines, so they cut away some gum there. In fact, today, I don't have enough gum there, I think.... it often hurts when I get a cleaning if I don't warn the dentist ahead of time not to dig too deep when scaling those teeth.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Way Too Old For This

#44 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Mine feels REALLY weird, going sideways across the roof if my mouth. I will sure be glad when she's over there where the other teeth are. Plus the bracket on her sticks down just enough to slice my tongue every once in a while.

I'm wondering if the roof of my mouth will be really sensitive once that tooth isn't there anymore. Will there be a big hole?

Or will Ruth really ever move all the way over or will she just hang out 'in palate' forever? Will I still call her Ruth once she isn't 'special' anymore, but just another tooth thats all lined up perfect like the others?

finally

Canines

#45 Post by finally »

I know this thread is old but there are so many similarities to my situation. I have never met anyone who had the same "condition" that I've had and I could use some other people's stories and advice for moral support. I really never thought that this brace journey would be so emotional but it is. There's too many what ifs and I'm such a worrier. (Karen, help me out here). :wink:

Okay, so baby canines never fell out. At 18 during my pregnancy canines broke through the roof of my mouth ( I never knew what they were; always thought i had food stuck on the top.) they broke through real slow. Why does this happen? I'm inclined to think my parents were bad people now for not taking me to a darn dentist! Or inclined to get mad at the dentist who did see me!!
At any rate, how will I know that these canines won't be ankylosed? I've read about it and am now paranoid about the whole thing.

I have been depressed thinking of the road ahead of me and any "surprises" that might come my way.

:cry:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2 Corinthians 4:17

"Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a battle." -Plato