White spots around braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracefulgurl

White spots around braces

#1 Post by bracefulgurl »

I brush my teeth around 3-4 times a day but I'm still scared that when I get my braces off, I'll have white spots around where my brackets use to be. My question is, can you tell when they're showing up or do they just sneakily come up?
I watch videos and people have white spots, but do they not notice they're there? Or are they just not brush their teeth good enough

ItsFreyja

Re: White spots around braces

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

Hi bracefulgurl! I don't know whether people just don't notice these areas of decalcification appearing; I've wondered about that too. (From chatting with the techs at my ortho's office, I have come to believe that most people are just clueless about their teeth and their braces!) It is certainly possible to brush your teeth a lot and not do a good job removing plaque around the brackets (and at/under the gumline) and end up with white spots (and gingivitis). Ask your orthodontist or dentist at your next visit about how it looks like you're doing with your hygiene. If you're especially worried, or if you're showing signs of trouble developing, they can help. Mine gave me an electric toothbrush and a special high-fluoride toothpaste, for example.

buffon85

#3 Post by buffon85 »

I brush around brackets with interdental brushes.

bottom premolars extractions: 9th of June 2015
top premolars extractions: 8th of October 2015

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

This is something your hygienist can spot during your regular cleaning. Speaking for myself, as a child my braces hygeine was not that great and I managed to avoid decalcification, so assuming you are not completely botching the job when brushing so often, I don't think you'll have any trouble at all.

If you want to be extra cautious, and you have Rx Drug Coverage with your medical insurance, ask for a prescription for high-fluoride toothpaste from your Ortho and use it twice a day.