I am unsatisfied with my dentist but I don’t know what to say

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nospxo

I am unsatisfied with my dentist but I don’t know what to say

#1 Post by nospxo »

Hi everyone! So I actually have some concerns regarding my teeth and I need honest opinions from people who are willing to give some. I am 25F and I have been having braces for like almost two years now. My teeth before was definitely much worse, front teeth were horizontally inward (if that makes sense?) and I often bit into my cheeks hence why I decided to get braces. My dentist told me yesterday that if the payment is all done we can take it off (I have only 2 appointments left apparently) which I am super unsure off because my front teeth definitely could look much better and they are not on the same level which is frustrating me so much. I honestly don’t know if she can’t really see it or if I am just making a big deal out of this. I don’t want to overstep and act like I am a mister know-it-all and I definitely don’t want to sound rude to her. She has never asked me what I feel about my teeth throughout my entire appointment. I will attach photos of my teeth and I hope you could understand what I am talking about and I hope I could also get some honest opinions too :/

https://ibb.co/X5fQHQD

https://ibb.co/VtvvtFk

https://ibb.co/d5gwzJs

djspeece

Re: I am unsatisfied with my dentist but I don’t know what to say

#2 Post by djspeece »

That sounds difficult. I'd recommend you rehearse the conversation, perhaps with an understanding friend. In general, I like your approach -- you have some questions and don't want to come across as questioning her ability and judgement. Also, you want to be efficient and not drag it out, since she likely is on a tight schedule. Also, make sure you review your contract, and see if the end-point of treatment is defined (i.e., I don't think it should be based on the receipt of a final payment.) Maybe something along these lines: "I appreciate your time and skill in improving my teeth, but I have a couple of questions. You mentioned that my treatment would end once the payments were completed. Did I understand correctly" (and if so) "I'm not entirely certain that the appearance and function of my bite will be completed at that point -- could you please help me understand?" And so forth. Then listen very carefully. We all want a perfect result, and some are fortunate to get there. My final result was not perfect, but then I was not really seeking perfection -- I have those little "black triangles" that are the result of teeth that are a bit wider at the top. No way to avoid them, really, short of shaving the sides and/or applying some sort of filler. My general dentist could have accomplished that, I am confident, and she worked closely with my orthodontist. But, it was more than I wanted to go through, as I was sick and tired of all things orthodontic after three years. At any rate, best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Dunnyet

#3 Post by Dunnyet »

Hi! Welcome! Your teeth look good, but I see what you mean about your front teeth being slightly uneven. There doesn’t see to have been a lot of communication between you and your dentist (orthodontist?). Now is the time to let her know you are not completely happy with your treatment. Perhaps suggest a longer treatment time but ask if there will be additional cost to you. Maybe send an email voicing your concerns, then you’ll have all correspondence in writing. If you don’t get your teeth how you want them now, you’ll be unhappy every time you look in the mirror! Your teeth look pretty good, I wish mine looked like that! Get the results you want and paid for! Bring your bling and smile!
Cheers!

trifecta

#4 Post by trifecta »

Hi. In my experience the fee for orthodontic treatment is for the treatment plan not for a specific time period or number of appointments. That is a good
thing for those of us that have been on island time. I would think that when the appliance is removed and when the final payment is made would not
necessarily correspond. I looked at the pictures you posted and the result looks nice so I am not exactly sure what you are wanting to change. I see that
the edge of the right central is very slightly higher than the left, that should be easily addressed. I also see that the edges of your front teeth are curved
rather that straight making for a slight scalloped appearance. Is that your concern? If so a little enamel adjustment can address that. As Dan said, check
your contract to see what is there. Best of Luck!