Deep bite

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Iewia

Deep bite

#1 Post by Iewia »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here got their deep bite fixed without a bite plate or bite turbo? I was told by my dentist to wear a bite plate 24/7. After wearing it for a week, my jaw muscles have been very sore and I'm getting headaches from it. I rang my dentist and told him everything, he told me to stop wearing it and he will think of another way. I'm kind of worried now. =/

pcspinheiro

Re: Deep bite

#2 Post by pcspinheiro »

bite planes are stupid and rather inefficient in my own personal experience. Reverse curve archwires and/or TADs to intrude lower incisors is probably your best bet and they won't mess with your TMJ, which is what's causing your symptoms and can become permanent...

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

I personally had my deep bite corrected without a bite plate or turbo. My orthodontist only used regular archwires. Not sure how or what he did to be honest. Your dentist (is he an ortho? or just a general dentist?) frankly sounds clueless, I would get a second opinion.

Iewia

#4 Post by Iewia »

[quote=assertives post_id=507630 time=1559008470 user_id=30576]
I personally had my deep bite corrected without a bite plate or turbo. My orthodontist only used regular archwires. Not sure how or what he did to be honest. Your dentist (is he an ortho? or just a general dentist?) frankly sounds clueless, I would get a second opinion.
[/quote]

He is a general dentist. I have an appointment this friday, I'll see what he says

Seraphina22

#5 Post by Seraphina22 »

updates? I'm wondering the same.
my dentist told me that once my extraction gap closes, my bite will automatically become normal. I have no idea how that works and I'm a little worried. He mentioned nothing about a bite plate or bite turbos.

ColdCoffee

#6 Post by ColdCoffee »

I've also been wondering about that. Would then first only the upper arch be treated? Or is it ok if the upper teeth bite into the lower brackets?

Iewia

#7 Post by Iewia »

His solution is to give me a tighter elastic.. well let's see how to goes.

drgnchsr36

#8 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I had braces, elastics, and the build ups on my molars to deal with my deep bite.

ivorynectar

#9 Post by ivorynectar »

I had a deep bite. I did not have bite blocks or anything extra. The deep bite was corrected through the wires....I believe it is the 'reverse curve' process someone else mentioned. The net effect was that my lower molars where slloooowwwwllllyyy raised (extruded). I know it sounds gross and painful. But I was not even aware that it was happening, since it was a verrrry gradual change. I imagine deep bites have a variety of causes. But mine is totally resolved, and the teeth look great!