Twin blocks

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AshleySm

Twin blocks

#1 Post by AshleySm »

Does anyone have experience with twin blocks?

I started treatment recently for an overbite and crowding. My orthodontist is trying to avoid surgery. I was fitted with a twin block appliance yesterday. They are like retainers that have expanders on the top and bottom part to turn with a key and have blocks that when I close my mouth position my lower mouth forward. They were shockingly bulky when placed and I couldn't swallow or speak. My orthodontist said that speaking and eating will be difficult and I'll get used to it. He said I need to wear them all the time and at least 22 hours a day, except when cleaning them or playing sports. I don't know how I will survive with these! I'm supposed to wear these for up to 12 months to avoid surgery and then I will get braces.