Weird Question....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Steph30

Weird Question....

#1 Post by Steph30 »

How do you hold your mouth when it's closed. Do your teeth rest on eachother or do they sit slightly open?

I find I never have my teeth touching and my tongue is always pushed against the roof of my mouth.... Biting together does not feel natural.. and Im starting to wonder if this is abnormal?

:-* :-*

Rickrolled

Re: Weird Question....

#2 Post by Rickrolled »

Don't worry!

If you Google it you'll find out that this is a sign on a natural resting position. It will reduce wear on your teeth and your tongue will help maintain your upper arch. :D

SCeles33

#3 Post by SCeles33 »

I'm currently wearing a herbst device, but as I have allergies, i do hold my jaw a little slack when my nose is stuffed up. I'm not a professional but when you close your jaw do your lips meet? if so you have nothing to worry about. If you're getting your bite corrected, as I am doing as well, you will see better progress. I had lip incompetence but in under a year it's been resolved.

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

My teeth sit slightly open with my mouth closed too. Initially, I did this on purpose and was intentionally making conscious efforts to keep my teeth apart with my mouth closed but now it's abit of a second nature to me. I did it because my ortho told me to try it to break my clenching habit. It's working so far so I'm quite happy about it.

Steph30

#5 Post by Steph30 »

:-**

Thank you! Very reassuring.. Lips always are touching so that's not a concern.

:jump: