IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

huskergirl888

IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

#1 Post by huskergirl888 »

I just realized I didn't post this in the IMPACTED CANINES CLUB topic with everyone else, so I apologize for the repeat.

Hello gang!

I have been reading the Impacted Canines Club messages since I got my braces on in March of 2017. I am 47 years old and I had never had a cavity, root canal, extraction, and still had all my wisdom teeth. I also had retained my primary canines and other than the fact they were smaller and slightly discolored compared to my other teeth, I was okay with what I had. Until....a new dentist as part of the practice I do to decided to let me know that the root was starting resorption in one of those ugly baby teeth. I was explained my options, but he wasn't very optimistic with me. He made me angry with how he explained that I was probably too old to do anything, including getting an implant. I was just going to lose a tooth and be okay with it? Yeah, no. My hygienist, who is also one of my friends was VERY unhappy with his comments, enough to go to the owner/original dentist to complain. Anyway--that's another story for how someone right out of dental school should not mess with two educated and slightly-mouthy over 40 women in a small room. LOL!

So after a consultation with a highly-recommended ortho, I decided to pursue braces and paid additional for the Acceledent. Within 3 months, I had to get all my wisdom teeth extracted, as the rapid tooth movement I was experiencing caused those teeth to move/hurt. IV sedation #1. It went fine and I had no complications. We continued to make room for my adult canines and by the end of 2017, we were ready for the extraction/exposure. In that time, I also lost 25 pounds because I couldn't eat so many things that I was used to chomping down, even with my tiny canines.

In January, 2018, I had IV sedation #2 and it didn't seem so bad. It was weird to have missing teeth in my smile line, but it was all for a reason. Within 3 weeks, I was ready for my ortho to tie the chain to my arch wire. The assistant began pulling it tight and POP--the bond came off the closed exposure. She got the ortho, we all freaked, out and I immediately called the oral surgeon to let him know what happened. I was then scheduled for a repeat of that side within a couple of weeks. So, IV sedation #3 took place with no additional cost to me (thank god!) and then I went immediately over to the ortho's office for the tying process. Guess what? POP! The other side came off. Are you freakin' kidding me? My ortho even cussed right near me, which made me laugh, despite the fact that I wanted to cry. I think the assistant did cry as she had witnessed the previous unbonding. My ortho called the oral surgeon and discussed the options. Within a week, I was back in the chair under IV sedation #4. My oral surgeon couldn't understand why they were not staying bonded and my ortho wondered if I should see a new oral surgeon. Once again, my oral surgeon agreed to fix it for free, thank god again! That is the only reason I went back to him.

So I go back the same day as that fix and guess what??? The other side pops off, and hand to God, I thought my ortho was going to jump out the window. I sat there in shock and my ortho said he had never seen anything like this multiple times EVER in 30+ years of his work. I couldn't even cry, but maybe it was because of the strong antidepressants I am taking because I WEAR BRACES AT 47 years old. LOLOL! Funny, but kind of not funny.

After what I can only assume was a tense conversation between my ortho and the oral surgeon, I was told to go back over to the oral surgeon's office immediately. He recommended at that point that I just pursue implants but I explained to to him that my ortho and I already had the discussion and he wasn't ready to give up on those teeth yet due to poor bonding. So I was scheduled for another IV sedation (#5, but who's counting) and they decided to put a band around the tooth with a bond as opposed to a simple bracket on the front. After waiting for the special order of the band to come in for a couple of weeks, I was back in the chair for what I hoped was my last visit ever to that oral surgeon's office. The staff knew me by name, and remembered what type of ice cream I preferred as my free parting gift. LOL! I immediately went back to the ortho's office for tying and I swear, all the assistants probably drew straws to see who had to tie my teeth off. Luckily, they are all very nice and they get my sense of humor. Honestly, you have to laugh at all of my misery at that point. I certainly did! So that tie stayed and every tie since then has stayed, but movement has been slow. We finally got on track in March 2018 after all the issues, and here I am with really straight teeth on the bottom (now) and waiting until possibly menopause until my adult canines decide to make an appearance. We know they are moving, but I honestly don't know how long it might be at this point. We originally thought I might be in braces for approximately 2 years, but who knows. I am afraid to ask at this point. Hot flashes and braces sound like a load of fun! :-)

The good news is as I type this, I have pain in both sides as the chains continue to creep ever so slowly through my gums. My front teeth have so much pressure on them, they are now bucked out and my speech has been affected. I feel bad that the world has to live without much of my sarcasm as I tend to keep my mouth shut lately.

I didn't mean to write a novel, but I wanted to just join in and let people know there are other people that are struggling with them as well. I also wanted to let everyone know that all you can do is laugh, when you really want to cry. Stay sane everyone! :-)