Proclining lower incisors/pertruding lip

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Destiny2nobueno

Proclining lower incisors/pertruding lip

#1 Post by Destiny2nobueno »

I never had a prominent profile but I feel like I looked better before I had braces. I had 3mm of overbite/jet and my lower incisors were proclined to compensate for my crowding. My orthodontist told me I my lower lip would flare out at bit, but I didn't think much of it since I already had full lips prior. However I'm noticing now that end result somewhat caused me to lose a bit of projection on my chin and my labial fold looks larger. I've looked at pictures of myself prior and do notice a subtle difference. The left is me now and the right is before braces. I found a picture of a lad who had a profile similar to mine prior to getting braces which isn't bad is it? It still looks like his jaw is slightly recessed.

I had the option of surgery but opted out because I was content with my chin/profile and didn't suffer from any jaw issues. Now I'm thinking if I should ask to see if they could upright my incisors again with braces or have a genioplasty to compensate for the changes I underwent.

Xrays https://imgur.com/a/gxtcg

https://imgur.com/bBjqrHO

Destiny2nobueno

Re: Proclining lower incisors/pertruding lip

#2 Post by Destiny2nobueno »

Also please let me know if this is the incorrect forum to post in. Happy Holidays!

Lovespain5

#3 Post by Lovespain5 »

Hello! I agree with you. Your chin has become slightly weaker now, starting developing lip incompetence, even if your profile isn't bad. Ask your orthodontist to wear rubber bands to achieve more chin projection.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

Destiny2nobueno

#4 Post by Destiny2nobueno »

[quote="Lovespain5"]Hello! I agree with you. Your chin has become slightly weaker now, starting developing lip incompetence, even if your profile isn't bad. Ask your orthodontist to wear rubber bands to achieve more chin projection.[/quote]

I wore those when I had braces. The only significant change he made to my teeth was that he proclined my lower incisors to reduce my overjet to basically 0. I had 3mm of overjet before. I'm thinking that's what caused my chin to lose projection.

Lovespain5

#5 Post by Lovespain5 »

I see. Like my before. I had bimax protrusion and as my lower teeth protruded my chin used to be weak. But I'm not sure you are a good candidate for a 4 premolar extraction treatment as I was because you don't have a real bimax protrusion now.
:?:-#):mrgreen: