New retainers don't fit!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flamingo

New retainers don't fit!

#1 Post by Flamingo »

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this isn't the right place to post this.

I had my fixed braces removed in 2012 and was give clear plastic removable retainers for top & bottom (plus a fixed retained on the bottom). Fast forward 5 years and both top sets of retainers have developed cracks. We no longer live near the Orthodontist who did the work so I made enquiries with my new dentist as to where to get new retainers made and it turns out they can do it. The first set that were sent didn't fit properly on the top so they were sent back. I've just picked up my 2nd pair and having worn them for a few nights I really don't feel they are doing their job properly. I swear that I can see and feel that 2 of my front teeth have moved! When I wake up during the night (which is frequent with a young baby!) they feel as though they have slipped and need to be pushed back into place, and in the morning they just pop off - the bottom ones really need working to get them off. Just as a test, last night I put my old retainers on and they were so tight (as if the teeth had really moved in the 3 nights since I'd last worn them) and even though they are they old ones they still needed a bit of working to get them off in the morning, not like the new ones.

I guess I'm just after reassurance that they sound like they don't fit and that I have a bona fide reason to take them back to the dentist yet again. It cost so much money to get my braces and I really don't want any movement.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

assertives

Re: New retainers don't fit!

#2 Post by assertives »

If you feel the retainers don't fit right, then they don't fit and you can just go back to the dentist. No need to find justification! You are a paying customer. :lol:

djspeece

Re: New retainers don't fit!

#3 Post by djspeece »

Concur with the above. Also, I'd recommend going to an orthodontist for the impressions, and perhaps any tweaking that might need to be done to the retainers (or perhaps your bite). My ortho has this awesome device that produces molds for retainers digitally. No more of those disgusting trays filled with gew, plus the resulting containers (Vivera) fit perfectly, and remain so over a year later. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying