Any thoughts on whitening after braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ziggy

Any thoughts on whitening after braces?

#1 Post by Ziggy »

Just got my braces off and I'm looking to do a little whitening. My ortho gave me some bleach to put in my retainers but the stuff is really irritating. I'm now using that charcoal powder everybody is raving about but I'm wondering if the stuff is bad for you, although the reviews on Amazon are great. Anybody had any experience with whitening? I don't want to look like Ross in that episode of "Friends."

EmilyTravels

Re: Any thoughts on whitening after braces?

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

I use Crest Whitestrips. They work very well for me. Prior to braces, I would use them for two weeks every six months or so, and I always got compliments on my teeth. They aren't as intense as ZOOM bleaching or similar, but for the price, they do a great job. I'm older (56), and having darker (gray/yellow) teeth is really aging, so I like keeping mine as white as possible, while still looking natural. I also don't want that unnatural look.

assertives

Re: Any thoughts on whitening after braces?

#3 Post by assertives »

I also use crest white strips. It's the only thing that I have tried so far that seem to actually make a difference. You can stop half way when you feel your teeth are white enough for you.

I have also heard that the colgate optic white toothpaste, (the dazzling white one) works pretty well with long term use.