bite turbo lisp: where does my tongue go for s sound?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nowiseethemoon

bite turbo lisp: where does my tongue go for s sound?

#1 Post by nowiseethemoon »

I'm braced as of today. I have bite turbos on the back of my two front teeth. They stick out from the bottom edge of my front teeth in an L shape toward the middle of my mouth. I cannot say the "s" sound. Where is my tongue supposed to go so that I can do a proper "s"? On the roof of my mouth? on the end of the "L"? At the bottom of my front teeth? Anyone??

Ziggy

Re: bite turbo lisp: where does my tongue go for s sound?

#2 Post by Ziggy »

Somehow you'll adjust to it. I don't know how, but I did. Right now I'm dealing with retainers that are causing a huge lisp. It's getting better. That said, the voice control on my Xfinity remote and Siri don't understand me. :(

FlyByNight

#3 Post by FlyByNight »

I had them in the exact same spot as you, and I had a lisp for a couple of days. My tongue developed 2 spots where the turbos pressed against, but they went away after they were taken off. I got over the lisp pretty quickly and you should too. Actually, I had more trouble talking normally when I got them off. It feels great to get them off.

nowiseethemoon

#4 Post by nowiseethemoon »

I've learned that I can make the S sound if I press the tip of my tongue against the bottom teeth (who knew!). I've printed out 5 pages of speech therapy practice pages for this weekend. I sound like a goof still but I made it through a work teleconference by getting my work colleague to speak on our behalf. All I said was my name and "that soundths fine" and "bye". Whew.

Now I just have to get used to swallowing things like spaghetti and teeny tiny bits of food whole, given that I have no chewing surfaces.

I think it's all just a trick to get me to focus on the bite turbos instead of the braces themselves. They're diverting my attention for sure!