Missing a bracket and the wire slices your cheek?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Heartofdarkness

Missing a bracket and the wire slices your cheek?

#1 Post by Heartofdarkness »

My ortho removed a bracket on one tooth which makes the wire that runs over that tooth super sharp and it's cutting my cheek like mad. I know the ortho can put a tube or something but I don't feel like going there so I made one myself. You know those protection tubes on very thin paint brushes? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-63jllpbrhq8/T ... ushes3.jpg I took one I had at home, cut it shorter and made a slice in it with a sharp knife and put it on the wire. Instant relief! Also it's easy to remove when eating.

Ziggy

Re: Missing a bracket and the wire slices your cheek?

#2 Post by Ziggy »

Congratulations on your brilliant solution. I would have used some dental wax and called the ortho to fix it. Just got my braces off, but before that dental wax and Motrin, were my best friends.

Heartofdarkness

#3 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Thanks! Wax is not working, there is too much wire and it cuts through the wax if I try to wrap it around. How would the dentist solve it, they use some kind of tube as well?

WanderingWallflower

#4 Post by WanderingWallflower »

Thank you!!! I have this problem where my extractions were performed because there is just space there with no brackets and the wire cuts my like crazy!!

Heartofdarkness

#5 Post by Heartofdarkness »

WanderingWallflower wrote:Thank you!!! I have this problem where my extractions were performed because there is just space there with no brackets and the wire cuts my like crazy!!
It's awful isn't it? At first I thought it was only a problem with the first, thin wire. Now I'm at my last one and well... I was wrong. :lol: You gonna give it a try?

WanderingWallflower

#6 Post by WanderingWallflower »

Heartofdarkness wrote:
WanderingWallflower wrote:Thank you!!! I have this problem where my extractions were performed because there is just space there with no brackets and the wire cuts my like crazy!!
It's awful isn't it? At first I thought it was only a problem with the first, thin wire. Now I'm at my last one and well... I was wrong. :lol: You gonna give it a try?
Definetly, I'm sick of being cut all day everyday lol it makes me regret getting braces at all!!