Tips with Elastics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xiixii85

Tips with Elastics?

#1 Post by xiixii85 »

Hello all, so today I had an emergency appointment to fix my lower molar bracket that popped off. Since my next adjustment was scheduled for November 20th, my ortho decided to move up my adjustment (2nd adj) to today.

I was fitted up with a stronger archwire (016) on my both my upper and bottoms. A new stronger powerchain was applied and also a rotator was put around my left front tooth. Today I was fitted with the dreadful elastics on my right side. Should I be aware of anything with these new devices? Any tips, tricks, etc?

Also anyone dealing with closing a diastema? How long did it take the powerchains to close it up for good? Thanks!

corbanderson01

Re: Tips with Elastics?

#2 Post by corbanderson01 »

The elastics may be painful for a couple of days and it may take some getting used to taking them off and putting them on (especially in front of others). After a few days, they should be painless so long as you continue to wear them as directed. What is the orientation of your elastics?

xiixii85

#3 Post by xiixii85 »

So far they’ve been fine. No serious pain, no serious pressure feeling. The band is attached from third molar to my canine. I was told 24/7 wear and to only take off when brushing. I’ve already snacked a bit with the band in and it wasn’t bad. Hopefully it stays that way! I remember reading about the pain of powerchains and was dreading it. When I had my first set put on they were fine, I didn’t have to resort to a soft food diet or anything. Hopefully this is the same.

Ziggy

#4 Post by Ziggy »

If you have trouble getting your elastics on and off Amazon has a tool called Elastic Placers. Helped me a lot.