They're on! How do I eat...?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

taimeinhappy

They're on! How do I eat...?

#1 Post by taimeinhappy »

I did it! A whole new mouth, full of braces. The wire doesn't go all the way back, but all my brackets are on. I have bumpers on my bottom middle teeth so my topinion teeth to touch them.

I also got bands. I was surprised, but since my molars don't touch they are moving my jaw together...so now I have front teeth that can't bite...and back teeth that don't chew...none of my teeth go together.

Am I doomed to a liquid diet for months??

Also I am already soooooooo sore. The tech had to force some of my wires and man...my jaw hurts so bad.

taimeinhappy

Re: They're on! How do I eat...?

#2 Post by taimeinhappy »

Sorry for the weird autocorrections. My phone is so weird...and I can't edit my post. So I meant...I have bumpers on my bottom middle brackets to prevent my top teeth from hitting them.

strinder

#3 Post by strinder »

In my experience you'll want to be on a soft food diet for the next week just because of braces, let alone if the ortho had to force some wires in. I personally wanted to eat harder food but my teeth hurt so much that I just stuck with soft food.

I only had bite blocks on the rear of my teeth so it sounds like you've got more struggles to get around but I have no doubt you'll work it out. As teeth move and become less sensitive you'll establish if you have any teeth able to touch and you'll just use them to chew.

Congratulations on beginning your journey with your braces!

taimeinhappy

#4 Post by taimeinhappy »

[quote="strinder"]In my experience you'll want to be on a soft food diet for the next week just because of braces, let alone if the ortho had to force some wires in. I personally wanted to eat harder food but my teeth hurt so much that I just stuck with soft food.

I only had bite blocks on the rear of my teeth so it sounds like you've got more struggles to get around but I have no doubt you'll work it out. As teeth move and become less sensitive you'll establish if you have any teeth able to touch and you'll just use them to chew.

Congratulations on beginning your journey with your braces![/quote]

Thank you! I'm very excited. Just sore and hungry. I did manage some chicken noodle soup through a straw.

corbanderson01

#5 Post by corbanderson01 »

Congratulations on beginning your braces experience! The pain will only last for a few days, and eating soft foods like applesauce and yogurt should make eating easier. After a few days, a gradual shift to harder foods will make the transition easier.

taimeinhappy

#6 Post by taimeinhappy »

Thank you!

I tried some string cheese today...that was a joke. I felt like I was trying to suck the life and flavor out of it, chewing isn't possible, none of my teeth touch.

tmjd

#7 Post by tmjd »

Stick to soups and chopped protein. The first week or so is the worst, then you'll be able to chew a little bit more.

Good luck!

Jennilyn

#8 Post by Jennilyn »

I’m almost 3 weeks in and eating is still awkward. Front teeth still hurt to bite into anything so everything has to be cut into bite size pieces (kinda weird to do that to a hamburger) LOL I have build-ups on my back molars so chewing isn’t that easy but it’s better than it was a few weeks ago.

Ziggy

#9 Post by Ziggy »

I went through the same thing. I was drinking only smoothies the first couple of days, but then somehow figured out how to eat just about everything. IMHO the buildups were the worst part of my treatment, but somehow my body figured out how to get around it. Your's will, too.

tested

#10 Post by tested »

I think for me, the first time having them on and one or two adjustments left me eating liquid/soft foods for a week max. After that (over a year now) they never lasted more than a day, sometimes I could eat normally straight away. I can eat anything and everything :)

EmilyTravels

#11 Post by EmilyTravels »

tested wrote:I think for me, the first time having them on and one or two adjustments left me eating liquid/soft foods for a week max. After that (over a year now) they never lasted more than a day, sometimes I could eat normally straight away. I can eat anything and everything :)
Biting into an apple, even!?!?

I have broken off three brackets in the back since I have crowned teeth there, so I avoid anything too hard, chewy, or sticky. And I won't bite into anything large or hard with the front teeth, like a sub sandwich, apple, corn on the cob, etc.

hdavies91

#12 Post by hdavies91 »

I think it was about 3 or 4 weeks before I felt like I was eating normally again. Even at that point I still couldn't bite with my front teeth. It gets easier though. I am about 5 months in now and I don't even notice them :)

barneypit1974

#13 Post by barneypit1974 »

when I have my braces worked on as my first "hard" food I eat and I know its weird but pork rinds because they are hard but also soft if that makes sense

Bracefacemom47

#14 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

Got mine on on Tuesday. Can only eat liquid and soft foods. Even a banana was hard to eat. I have cement turbos on my molars so i can't bite down. :( it's ok though. I need to lose the 40 lbs I gained. Lol

rubyteeth

#15 Post by rubyteeth »

got my appliance on today...
my bite doesnt match up at the moment and the wires are chopping my gums.. so i'm at the same stage as you :-+

So far i'm "gumming " all my food with my tongue and just taking comfort from the fact that everyone else tells you that it will get better and the gums will harden up and i won't even notice the braces anymore...

Wine is working a treat though :D
Rubyteeth

middleagedladywithbraces.com