Cavities with braces??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SwampSkeleton

Cavities with braces??

#1 Post by SwampSkeleton »

Hello all, this is my first post!

So I noticed what is most likely a cavity on one of my lower teeth although I’m not sure. Anyways, if in theory this IS a cavity, how do I go about getting it fixed? Would my ortho have to remove the bracket on that tooth, and then would I have to see a dentist? I’ve never had a cavity, with or without so I’m really stressed

assertives

Re: Cavities with braces??

#2 Post by assertives »

If it is a cavity, you will have to go to your dentist to get it fixed. As for whether your ortho needs to remove the bracket would definitely depends on the location of the cavity and the whether the dentist has access to do the filling. You should go see your dentist and have it evaluated, he/she will be able to advise what needs to be done.

FlyByNight

#3 Post by FlyByNight »

They would most likely wait for your braces to come off before they did any fillings.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

FlyByNight wrote:They would most likely wait for your braces to come off before they did any fillings.
I'm not so sure about that, but of course I am not a dentist.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

jole958237

#5 Post by jole958237 »

I just had a filling done on a cavity that was found after about a month in braces. It depends on where the cavity is. If it's easily accessible you might not need to do anything extra. Mine was at the side of a tooth so I needed to have the wire removed temporarily. Your dentist will tell you during the examination. I had my wire removed at the orthodontist's (took just a couple of minutes), then headed over to the dentist to get the filling. Went back to the orthodontist after that to have the wire put back on. All in all, my bottom wire was off for only about 5 hours. Honestly, the hardest part was getting multiple appointments at two places on the same day. Had to schedule two weeks out for available spots that lined up.

tmjd

#6 Post by tmjd »

[quote="jole958237"]I just had a filling done on a cavity that was found after about a month in braces. It depends on where the cavity is. If it's easily accessible you might not need to do anything extra. Mine was at the side of a tooth so I needed to have the wire removed temporarily. Your dentist will tell you during the examination. I had my wire removed at the orthodontist's (took just a couple of minutes), then headed over to the dentist to get the filling. Went back to the orthodontist after that to have the wire put back on. All in all, my bottom wire was off for only about 5 hours. Honestly, the hardest part was getting multiple appointments at two places on the same day. Had to schedule two weeks out for available spots that lined up.[/quote]

I am glad my orho's office & dentist office are in the same building. I can't imagine the logistics around getting the schedule of two very occupied professionals. ;-)

FlyByNight

#7 Post by FlyByNight »

djspeece wrote:
FlyByNight wrote:They would most likely wait for your braces to come off before they did any fillings.
I had a little spot with decay between my rear molars and my ortho and dentist both said they would wait until after treatment before doing any dental work. They’re still watching it because it’s hasn’t gone to the root so that’s probably why they waited.

assertives

#8 Post by assertives »

FlyByNight wrote:
djspeece wrote:
I had a little spot with decay between my rear molars and my ortho and dentist both said they would wait until after treatment before doing any dental work. They’re still watching it because it’s hasn’t gone to the root so that’s probably why they waited.
Are you getting your braces off soon? I'm not sure it's a great idea to wait on a cavity that is close to the root. Once it gets near to the root or into the root, you may end up needing a root canal.

FlyByNight

#9 Post by FlyByNight »

assertives wrote:
FlyByNight wrote:
djspeece wrote: I'm not so sure about that, but of course I am not a dentist.
Are you getting your braces off soon? I'm not sure it's a great idea to wait on a cavity that is close to the root. Once it gets near to the root or into the root, you may end up needing a root canal.
Braces came off last August. My ortho and dentist are watching it because it’s very minor decay right now. Nowhere near the root. He doesn’t even consider it a cavity. Also, i’ve never had a cavity so i’ve been caring for it. Flossing every day, coconut oil, etc. I dread the day it has to be filled.