Different questions, overbite, deep bite and more.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Heartofdarkness

Different questions, overbite, deep bite and more.

#1 Post by Heartofdarkness »

I've had my braces for half a year and have another half a year left. For the last months my lower front teeth has been getting higher than the rest, it's like a rounded arch at the top, like this (no.1): http://oi66.tinypic.com/2h3zfqe.jpg
As you can see, because the gum is following the rounded line of teeth, it looks like I have more of a deep bite than I actually do because lower teeth are covered by upper teeth, because the gums are higher (no.2).

I told my ortho and she didn't seem to have noticed but said she will put a few bends in the wire next time. Is this normal to happen? I'm kind of worried she doesn't think it's a big deal and that I wouldn't have had to point it out to her. Is this normal to happen in the braces process?

Also, I wonder if I have an overbite. I have noticed that when I bite down, the space between the upper teeth and lower teeth in the front is big enough for the width of a bracket (no.3). I hope I make sense. I feel this is too much space?

assertives

Re: Different questions, overbite, deep bite and more.

#2 Post by assertives »

Nice drawing. :D

I don't know if it's a normal process for a deep bite to happen in the middle of treatment. I personally started with one. My teeth look very much like your 2nd drawing. That said, I have come across a couple of people on this board who had a deep bite forming halfway and had a reverse spee curved wire. My ortho hasn't mentioned anything about my deep bite or even begun treating it, but then again, I'm only into my 3rd month of my treatment.

As for the overbite, it's normal for the upper teeth to slightly overlap the bottom teeth. The normal range is between 2 to 3mm. The thickness of a bracket surely shouldn't be more than that?

Heartofdarkness

#3 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Thanks, assertives, I hope you can tell I'm a graphic designer. :wink:

I started with a deep bite as well, and I think it's better if you look at the teeth next to the front ones. I guess I'll have to ask her more next appointment. About the overbite, I managed to measure and it looks like 3-4 mm so I guess that's okay! It's hard to see how it looks with all the metal as well. Thanks for your answer!

Heartofdarkness

#4 Post by Heartofdarkness »

More thoughts on this topic?

The overbite is so that the brackets fit in between the teeth, I still think it looks too much. Do your top teeth close over the brackets?

Heartofdarkness

#5 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Sorry, I mean overjet. The overjet is like the thickness of the brackets.