Night guard for clenching?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jibbers

Night guard for clenching?

#1 Post by Jibbers »

I've always had an issue with clenching my teeth during the day even before braces but I didn't grind them, and I never really clenched at night that I knew of just when awake. I got braces about 2 months ago and at first when I had spacers I didn't clench at all because my teeth were so sore. Since then it has settled down and I've started to clench in my sleep but I can consciously avoid it during the day. My teeth are starting to move around to the point that when I bite down my teeth only touch at a few small spots and i'm really worried that I'm going to crack the teeth where they come together. I bought a night guard only to realize in the directions is says "DO NOT USE WITH BRACES". Are there any solutions to night time clenching for people with braces??

Beckett

Re: Night guard for clenching?

#2 Post by Beckett »

I went through a period of bad night clenching early in my treatment and my ortho gave me a clear guard I could wear at night over the braces. Maybe ask if they have anything that would work?
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

Beckett wrote:I went through a period of bad night clenching early in my treatment and my ortho gave me a clear guard I could wear at night over the braces. Maybe ask if they have anything that would work?
Did the night guard cost extra? I am having the same problem periodically during the night. Also clenching during the day. I think since my bite is off, my brain is trying to fix it. It is driving me crazy!

bracesat41

#4 Post by bracesat41 »

I clench and grid at night and found it super annoying not having a mouth guard at night. I bought a giant mouth guard for braces on Amazon and it sucked. So then I tried the disposable mouth guard that has just the plastic parts for the molar's.. and it works great!

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

bracesat41 wrote:I clench and grid at night and found it super annoying not having a mouth guard at night. I bought a giant mouth guard for braces on Amazon and it sucked. So then I tried the disposable mouth guard that has just the plastic parts for the molar's.. and it works great!
Which one did you buy? Thanks!

Beckett

#6 Post by Beckett »

EmilyTravels wrote:
Beckett wrote:I went through a period of bad night clenching early in my treatment and my ortho gave me a clear guard I could wear at night over the braces. Maybe ask if they have anything that would work?
Did the night guard cost extra? I am having the same problem periodically during the night. Also clenching during the day. I think since my bite is off, my brain is trying to fix it. It is driving me crazy!
No, it was just a generic one size type of guard. Technically it was an athletic style but. It worked for what I needed once I cut the little tab thingies off that stuck out of the front. I didnt need it for very long, once things moved around a bit more I stopped clenching. It must have been an unconscious reaction to an awkward tooth stage.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

Beckett wrote: No, it was just a generic one size type of guard. Technically it was an athletic style but. It worked for what I needed once I cut the little tab thingies off that stuck out of the front. I didnt need it for very long, once things moved around a bit more I stopped clenching. It must have been an unconscious reaction to an awkward tooth stage.
I am hoping mine is the same. I never used to clench and grind before I fractured my jaw and my bite got messed up. I'm afraid that it has become a habit now, so it may be hard to break even when my bite improves. I hope I'm wrong about that! Thank you for the reply.

bracesat41

#8 Post by bracesat41 »

EmilyTravels wrote:
bracesat41 wrote:I clench and grid at night and found it super annoying not having a mouth guard at night. I bought a giant mouth guard for braces on Amazon and it sucked. So then I tried the disposable mouth guard that has just the plastic parts for the molar's.. and it works great!

Its one that is disposable, and comes with 10 in the box. Grind No more

JaydeDancer

#9 Post by JaydeDancer »

My dentist has a night guard that he can make that goes over just the back molars. It only covers one or two teeth I think, but it's enough to stop people from grinding in their sleep. Sadly, the night guard costs $150 to make and my insurance doesn't cover the cost. But if you make the night guard to go over only two of the back molars, then you should be able to use the same guard for the majority of your treatment. It seems like the molars are teeth that don't shift a lot during treatment, so something small like that might be a better option than one that covers the entire upper or lower jaw.

BTW, I've had braces on for about a week and a half and I'm still in a bit of discomfort. My front teeth hurt so much when I put pressure on them that I still can't eat anything "normal". It even hurts to brush my teeth. I've noticed that I've started to clench my jaw again while I'm sleeping (even though I have a bite turbo on both lower, rear, molars) and I think that is contributing to the prolonged discomfort. My orthodontist also thinks it is contributing to my prolonged discomfort. (Oh, also, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea back in June, so I have braces AND a full face CPAP mask. Fun fun! I mention the sleep apnea because it is associated with grinding at night.)

I've never posted here before, but I am going to try to link to a picture of the night guard my dentist makes so you have an idea of what I'm talking about:

https://burbankdental.com/wp-content/up ... 24x683.jpg

Ok, so the closest thing I could find was a BiteSoft Dental splint. The other thing that is somewhat similar is an NTI device, but the thing my dentist makes goes on the molars and not the front teeth. I'll have to call him and ask him the name of the thing.

EmilyTravels

#10 Post by EmilyTravels »

bracesat41 wrote:
EmilyTravels wrote:

Hmmm, the only ones I found that had the name "Grind No More" also said in the fine print not to use if you wear braces. Brand name Plackers?

bracesat41

#11 Post by bracesat41 »

EmilyTravels wrote:
bracesat41 wrote:
EmilyTravels wrote:

Hmmm, the only ones I found that had the name "Grind No More" also said in the fine print not to use if you wear braces. Brand name Plackers?
Yes, that is the one that I use. It doesn't affect my braces and it works really good.

EmilyTravels

#12 Post by EmilyTravels »

bracesat41 wrote: Yes, that is the one that I use. It doesn't affect my braces and it works really good.
Thank you! :)