Bottom braces and overbite

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dianaioanab

Bottom braces and overbite

#1 Post by dianaioanab »

So i am getting my bottom braces this friday after having had the top ones for 3.5 months. I have a bad overbite, and i mean bad, top teeth fully covering the bottom ones bad. Now i am thinking well they're gonna put bite blocks. Maybe not now cause the overjet is gonna protect them for a while, or maybe now cause i'm also getting elastics for the overjet (probably). Anyway, the thing is while my teeth did straighten quite a lot, the overbite doesn't seem to have changed at all. How on earth am i gonna eat when they put 0.5 cm friggin bite blocks. It just feels like oh well i guess i'm not gonna eat for the next at least 18 months cause my bite is complete and utter sesame and it hasn't moved a single mm!

BrunetteMoment

Re: Bottom braces and overbite

#2 Post by BrunetteMoment »

I feel your pain! I had a bad over bite and over jet at the beginning of my treatment as well. My ortho started me with top and bottom brackets as well as 24/7 class II elastics all at once. I had bite blocks for the first 8 weeks or so. I survived off of smoothies, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, and pasta. Pretty much anything I could swallow like a duck! Lol
But it doesn't last forever, my bite is improving everyday; yours will too! Good luck! :D
Damon Metal. 18 months.
Fixing: Overbite, overjet, crowding.

Tyrantblade

#3 Post by Tyrantblade »

I had bite blocks for about 8 or 9 months; it sucked at first and when they rebuilt them, but eventually it came time that i didnt need them anymore.

Im personally more annoyed at still needing elastics when im less than 2 months from my debrace appointment.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Beckett

#4 Post by Beckett »

I'm scheduled to be debraced 11 in days and I've still got elastics in. He wants me to wear them until the end.

That said, I had clear rubber bumpers on my 4 lower incisor while my bite was opening up enough to clear them. They were a pain in the butt but I'm glad I had those over molar buildups. Accomplishes the same thing though. Couldn't chew for a while.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

dianaioanab

#5 Post by dianaioanab »

Aaaand my molars are in different zip codes...

EmilyTravels

#6 Post by EmilyTravels »

dianaioanab wrote:Aaaand my molars are in different zip codes...
Let us know how it goes. I can't imagine! I don't have an overbite (thought I did but turns out it's an overjet instead, still learning the proper orthodontic terms...), so I don't think I'll have to have the build-ups. I'll be interested to hear how/what you manage to eat. Sounds like soft foods only?

dianaioanab

#7 Post by dianaioanab »

EmilyTravels wrote: Let us know how it goes. I can't imagine! I don't have an overbite (thought I did but turns out it's an overjet instead, still learning the proper orthodontic terms...), so I don't think I'll have to have the build-ups. I'll be interested to hear how/what you manage to eat. Sounds like soft foods only?
I don't think i'll have to stick to soft foods only, i'm just gonna have to cut them in tiny little pieces. And completely give up on nuts and seeds which reaaaaally sucks. Aaargh i need so much discipline.

EmilyTravels

#8 Post by EmilyTravels »

dianaioanab wrote:
EmilyTravels wrote: Let us know how it goes. I can't imagine! I don't have an overbite (thought I did but turns out it's an overjet instead, still learning the proper orthodontic terms...), so I don't think I'll have to have the build-ups. I'll be interested to hear how/what you manage to eat. Sounds like soft foods only?
I don't think i'll have to stick to soft foods only, i'm just gonna have to cut them in tiny little pieces. And completely give up on nuts and seeds which reaaaaally sucks. Aaargh i need so much discipline.
Ditto. Even without the molar build-ups, I'm not eating nuts and seeds, which I miss. Used to eat peanuts and almonds daily, but they are just too much for my braces. Peanut butter and almond butter work instead! :D

damoz

#9 Post by damoz »

dianaioanab wrote:So i am getting my bottom braces this friday after having had the top ones for 3.5 months. I have a bad overbite, and i mean bad, top teeth fully covering the bottom ones bad. Now i am thinking well they're gonna put bite blocks. Maybe not now cause the overjet is gonna protect them for a while, or maybe now cause i'm also getting elastics for the overjet (probably). Anyway, the thing is while my teeth did straighten quite a lot, the overbite doesn't seem to have changed at all. How on earth am i gonna eat when they put 0.5 cm friggin bite blocks. It just feels like oh well i guess i'm not gonna eat for the next at least 18 months cause my bite is complete and utter sesame and it hasn't moved a single mm!
i have bite turbos so super annoying but you do get used to them.. only 2.5 weeks in, after the first week I wanted to switch to bite blockers which would have been huge too but they explained that turbos will actually let the molars move up quicker as the blockers mean you're still biting down on the back two molars (or wherever they put them) so they're not as free to move up but with the turbos none of your molars can touch so they have more freedom to move.

eating is initially a pain but where there's a will there's a way.. i just had sushi, had penne pasta at a restaurant last night, had roast beef last weekend, had roast chicken and vegetables today.. pies etc all the time.. there'll be some sticky foods that will be trouble but generally i find the easiest way is to stick to non-hard foods, which there is still a big variety and if it's something you need to bite in to just go for it, if at home especially.. don't worry about the mess or aftermath.. that's what the waterpik is for :) it's only as disruptive as you allow it to be so just act like there's nothing in the way, be mindfully careful of breakage by avoiding anything that might break a bracket of course.

it does seem like it's going to be forever but nothing's forever.. just have faith in all the other people here who have shared their stories and shown us that the impossible is most certainly possible. yep it's gonna suck, even something like 9 months for molars to come up seem's so far away but the times gonna pass with or without braces so might aswell be moving towards a goal in the mean time.