Yes Another Elastics Question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joicetti

Yes Another Elastics Question

#1 Post by joicetti »

Hi everybody I'm here with another elastics question. Hopefully some of you can share your experiences and advice.

I got braces one year ago and for the first 6 months my ortho corrected some slight crowding on my bottom teeth. The next 6 months to the present she added class III elastics to correct a crossbite and edge to edge bite. That has worked fabulously and my top teeth are now in front of and slightly over my bottom teeth as they should be.

At my last visit a few days ago she instructed me to wear the elastics at night only versus 24/7 as I had been doing. I am following these directions but am concerned about relapse.

I know that an open bite is most prone to relapse, but what about crossbites? During the day I see a little bit of a relapse and then at night it kind of fixes itself since the elastics are back. In time once I no longer wear the elastics at all, or braces at all, will the retainer be enough to hold the bite in place?

For me I had fairly straight teeth to start and so correcting my bite was my biggest priority. I'd love to hear any of your experiences that also consisted of bite treatment and how you've done in the long run.

Lovespain5

Re: Yes Another Elastics Question

#2 Post by Lovespain5 »

joicetti wrote:Hi everybody I'm here with another elastics question. Hopefully some of you can share your experiences and advice.

I got braces one year ago and for the first 6 months my ortho corrected some slight crowding on my bottom teeth. The next 6 months to the present she added class III elastics to correct a crossbite and edge to edge bite. That has worked fabulously and my top teeth are now in front of and slightly over my bottom teeth as they should be.

At my last visit a few days ago she instructed me to wear the elastics at night only versus 24/7 as I had been doing. I am following these directions but am concerned about relapse.

I know that an open bite is most prone to relapse, but what about crossbites? During the day I see a little bit of a relapse and then at night it kind of fixes itself since the elastics are back. In time once I no longer wear the elastics at all, or braces at all, will the retainer be enough to hold the bite in place?

For me I had fairly straight teeth to start and so correcting my bite was my biggest priority. I'd love to hear any of your experiences that also consisted of bite treatment and how you've done in the long run.
I used to wear elastics to adjust my midline too and normally relapses happen very rarely as your tongue can't move teeth by this way.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

joicetti

#3 Post by joicetti »

Yes indeed midline I understand but I'm referring to the aches moving back and forth after having had elastics. In my case the class III elastics have brought my top teeth out about 1mm ahead of and on top of my bottom teeth, and so if that relapses at all, then I'm basically back where I started when I got braces--with an edge-to-edge bite.

I hear a lot about open bites relapses, but what about overbites, underbites, crossbites, etc.?

Lovespain5

#4 Post by Lovespain5 »

joicetti wrote:Yes indeed midline I understand but I'm referring to the aches moving back and forth after having had elastics. In my case the class III elastics have brought my top teeth out about 1mm ahead of and on top of my bottom teeth, and so if that relapses at all, then I'm basically back where I started when I got braces--with an edge-to-edge bite.

I hear a lot about open bites relapses, but what about overbites, underbites, crossbites, etc.?
I dunno, I had bimax protrusion and no relapse at all for the moment.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

Vicki04

#5 Post by Vicki04 »

I had class III elastics for my edge to edge and cross-bite a few months back, my ortho had me stop them entirely(cold turkey) to proceed with correcting gaps and rotate teeth etc. At first we didn't notice but it was slowly relapsing and yesterday they realized that I'm loosing a lot of the progress we've made so far and they put me back on elastics and worst of all I have been told I need to double them up to make up for it. :roll:

Maybe it's better that your othro is easing you off gradually, giving your jaw time to adjust and memorize its position. Anyway I wish you best of luck and look forward to hear how everything settles once you're completely off of elastics.
1. Crowding
2. High Canines
3. Crossbite
4. Edge to edge bite
They're just kind of wonky :crazy: