Day 1 - Two brackets down already!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Natrapx

Day 1 - Two brackets down already!

#1 Post by Natrapx »

So after finally getting my braces on today, I've only gone and bitten off two brackets! I swear those bite turbos are going to annoy me to death. Thankfully though, the two that came off were not actually wired up yet. They were planned for later on, whilst some of the crowding was dealt with first, so I guess I've dodged a bullet there at least.

I assume this isnt going to be a problem, and the brackets will get re-attached when the uppers are done next month, but it'll be a slightly embarrassed call to the dentist tomorrow.

Surely that's got to be a record at least! Anyone else lost them on the first day?

Snowglobe32

Re: Day 1 - Two brackets down already!

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

It could also be because they weren't bonded on long enough. I wore braces for almost 4 years; I only had one bracket come loose and that was at the 3 month mark.
Next time, they'll probably hold the bond for a while longer.

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

You may indeed have a record! I had one pop off a crown on day three while eating yogurt for cripes sake.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

miluti

#4 Post by miluti »

I managed to pop off 7 in the first four months...two in one day. They had to put "bite pads" (gobs of gel that harden with light) on my top molars to keep me from clenching down and putting enough pressure on them that they'd pop off. It was SUPER annoying to have to go in and have them replaced all the time, but my orthodontist never gave me grief - thankfully... I also had an issue with the wire getting pulled out of the tube bracket at the back; I'd have to try to get it back in myself, bend it, or cut it off. I'm on stainless steel wires now, so it would be a miracle for one of those suckers to pull out...I'm sure I can make it happen if I really tried, though. ;) My luck. :lol:

- TL canine pulled approx 1998 (childhood)
- BL canine pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- 4 impacted WT pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- Braced (damon, top and bottom) Sep 2016
- BR canine pulled Feb 2017
- TMJ issues Mar 2017
- TR canine pulled Jun 2017
- TR extraction gap FINALLY closed July 2018
- Set to debond on Sept 21, 2018! :jump:

Evostevo

#5 Post by Evostevo »

I have my top braces in already but I'm getting bottom braces put on in two or three months and I can't see how I'm not going to chew the brackets off. I'm hoping that I have some room cleared up by then. Does biting brackets off happen that often and does it hurt at all?

miluti

#6 Post by miluti »

Evostevo wrote:I have my top braces in already but I'm getting bottom braces put on in two or three months and I can't see how I'm not going to chew the brackets off. I'm hoping that I have some room cleared up by then. Does biting brackets off happen that often and does it hurt at all?
Nah - no pain from my experience...just a *pop!* and you get a little frustrated (as you then have to schedule an appointment to go in and have it glued back on). As for frequency, it shouldn't happen often BUT (there's always a but) it depends a lot on your bite - especially on how much your teeth overlap. If you get them put on and you find they're popping off quite frequently, ask your orthodontist if they can put the hardened gel on a molar on the top (both left and right) which'll give you some extra space between top and bottom when you bite down.

- TL canine pulled approx 1998 (childhood)
- BL canine pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- 4 impacted WT pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- Braced (damon, top and bottom) Sep 2016
- BR canine pulled Feb 2017
- TMJ issues Mar 2017
- TR canine pulled Jun 2017
- TR extraction gap FINALLY closed July 2018
- Set to debond on Sept 21, 2018! :jump: