Hate braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Smg373

Hate braces

#1 Post by Smg373 »

Anyone know how much it would cost to get braces removed after a week of having them, put in. I'm a wuss and I can't see me tolerating 2 years of braces.

Smg373

Re: Hate braces

#2 Post by Smg373 »

Also it might be my mind playing tricks on me but I feel sick every time I see or eat food today. it's day 2 of braces and ik people will be like stick with it, but I hate myself for getting them. I only have my top braces and they don't hurt, I'm just think in the future I'll have to wear a retainer also for 2 years I'll be a sense of mild discomfort.

Mpkh

#3 Post by Mpkh »

What is it specifically about braces that you don't like/not tolerating?

The food thing is very likely psychological.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

Smg373

#4 Post by Smg373 »

Probably the pain supposedly of rubber bands and tightening. I really have a problem of over thinking things and it gets on my nerves, but I do it anyways. My teeth aren't perfect, but their not terrible.

FlyByNight

#5 Post by FlyByNight »

You wear your retainers at night for life after braces come off. I'm not going to try and convince you not to get them off, but you might regret it later on. If you want straight teeth, you're going to have to deal with some discomfort. I cried the next morning I woke up from the pain, but I stuck with it, and I would even get braces again. I loved them!

Smg373

#6 Post by Smg373 »

I don't why but I just can't see me, sticking with braces I have such a low pain tolerance. I watch/lookup and ton of people who have braces and it really discouraged me and now I wish I never got them.

Tyrantblade

#7 Post by Tyrantblade »

To be honest the first few months are the worst, then it gets a little easier slowly, for me it was like once i got past a year the pain was almost nothing compared to the first few months; eventually to the point that i could chew food the same day with minor discomfort.

Also elastics only really cause a lot of pain the first few days if you switch them out often enough, after that its only minor discomfort.

Personally i dont regret braces, and i dont even hate them, but i really needed them and it feels so good being almost done, so maybe dont rush your decision; think about it a little first, and if psin is the deciding factor wait a week or two and then see.

Just trying to be encoruaging here, but getting braces is a very personal thing, and if you are really set on getting them removed, nothing anybody can say would stop you.

But maybe you should stick it out a while longer just to see; i mean if the pain is the main problem it gets way better; but like i said, its your choice.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Smg373

#8 Post by Smg373 »

Ik what ur saying, about waiting a few weeks, I only really wanted braces because it seem simple. But the maintenance for braces is a lot. I'm in HS and I want to just have fun and not worry about if my teeth will hurt. My friend and sister have braces and I talk to them before I got them, and they seem pretty positive. Then I got them and they start to talk a little more negativity.

Smg373

#9 Post by Smg373 »

My sister has had them for like a month. My friend also pretty recently

Tyrantblade

#10 Post by Tyrantblade »

Smg373 wrote:Ik what ur saying, about waiting a few weeks, I only really wanted braces because it seem simple. But the maintenance for braces is a lot. I'm in HS and I want to just have fun and not worry about if my teeth will hurt. My friend and sister have braces and I talk to them before I got them, and they seem pretty positive. Then I got them and they start to talk a little more negativity.
It may not be simple, but you are really at the worst part, after the first few weeks you will have a lot less pain than now, and after several appointments it becomes the sort of thing where you will only have major pain for about 3 days after an adjustment; most of it when you chew food, and beyond that the pain is at a pretty low level until you have an adjustment again.

And then if you make it a few appointments after that, its almost smooth sailing.

But again, i cant make the decision for you; but at least give it a few weeks if the big problem is the pain, it will get so much better.
Lots of crimes here

3. Open bite

Mpkh

#11 Post by Mpkh »

Braces is a commitment, and like any other commitment, the onus is on you. I'm not going to say that braces is fun--they're not, but you do get used to them. Brushing, flossing and general maintenance becomes routine after awhile. There will be pain and discomfort, but those will lessen over time. With each adjustment, your teeth will get used to the pain fairly quickly. Braces are worth the hassle, but only if you commit to them. Straight teeth does not come by easily and without some inconvenience.

I'm not going to tell you to not take them off if that's your prerogative. Give them some time, and if you still want to them removed, it's your choice. Just know that somewhere down the road you may need them again. If your parents are paying for them, you may have want to discuss with them the consequences of early removal--braces aren't cheap, and it's not likely it will be any cheaper to remove them early.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

Smg373

#12 Post by Smg373 »

thank you for responding, but I am leaning towards getting them removed and I'm going to pay for the removal, because it would'nt be right to do that to them.I do need to talk to them about it though. I hate how I can never make a decision.

Tyrantblade

#13 Post by Tyrantblade »

If your parents are paying you really should stick it out, the cost is the thing i hated the most because my parents didnt have the money when i was supposed to get them, you should see it as a blessing; not having to pay thousands, my cost was $6000 for 2 years of treatment.

But as i said, i cant make the decisions for you.
Lots of crimes here

3. Open bite

Smg373

#14 Post by Smg373 »

Mine are like 4000 for two years, idk if I do get them off I am paying for it.

Smg373

#15 Post by Smg373 »

Maybe closer to 5000 not sure