Will reopening extraction spaces give my earlier profile back?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kirti

Will reopening extraction spaces give my earlier profile back?

#1 Post by Kirti »

I had braces + 4 premolar extractions. I began noticing changes in my face- bigger nose, less space for tongue, sunken cheeks etc. I look unrecognizable. I want to go for reverse extraction orthodontics. However, while I know it will be beneficial for the tongue space problem, I don't know if it will give me my earlier profile back.
Will reopening extraction spaces give me my earlier profile back?

WanderingWallflower

Re: Will reopening extraction spaces give my earlier profile back?

#2 Post by WanderingWallflower »

I have been wondering the same thing. I believe it does.

Kirti

#3 Post by Kirti »

That's what I hope too.
Those of you who have had reverse extraction orthodontics, did it give you your earlier profile back?

Synergy91

#4 Post by Synergy91 »

Kirti wrote:That's what I hope too.
Those of you who have had reverse extraction orthodontics, did it give you your earlier profile back?
I like my profile, however as you can read my post my front central incisors are flared up like crazy and there is only two months left. Before you do anything make sure you can widen your upper arches without them just tipping teeth.

Kirti

#5 Post by Kirti »

Thank you so much synergy for your response. The profile you have now, is it the same as you had before having the braces for the first time?

Synergy91

#6 Post by Synergy91 »

Kirti wrote:Thank you so much synergy for your response. The profile you have now, is it the same as you had before having the braces for the first time?
No I didn't have this issue before my teeth were visible in the front without effort. They also were not tipped/flared out like they are now. The reason why I went through the reversal procedure with my orthodontist is because I wanted to widen my palate and top arches since they were narrow from having teeth pulled. Additionally I wanted to implant teeth again. It's already been 2 years 7months.

Kirti

#7 Post by Kirti »

acmoc

#8 Post by acmoc »

I am reopenning my spaces and my profile is coming back a bit. I say a bit because I barely have 1 mm on my top arc on both sides.
I had flared teeth after first braces and wanted it gone, but I much hated the result of the extractions.
However my current ortho wants to open the spaces 4-5 mm, widen my arc and pull the molars forward. I'm unsure yet if I will like that. My face thinned out so much, but I hope that it is due to aging and weight loss related to stress and depression. My current ortho says extractions thin your face due to resorption. And some cases, are better wirg flared teeth because extractions although will give straighter teeth. Will be detrimental to the face