Whats your story?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jeska0113

Whats your story?

#1 Post by Jeska0113 »

I got my braces bcuz i was grinding down my molars when i chewed ( and mainly cuz i had gaps too). My ortho told me ifi hadn't, when i got older i woulda worn it down to the enamel - or root ? (idk correct me lol) - and it woulda been painful when iate. So why did you get braces? Other than wanting strighter teeth lol

pcspinheiro

Re: Whats your story?

#2 Post by pcspinheiro »

I only got braces because I was wearing down my front teeth due to severe overbite combined with crooked upper central incisor. Had other crocked teeth and class II bite but those never bothered me. However, the ortho convinced to fix everything and now I wish I hadn't agreed to that, as I never cared for my teeth crookedness or malocclusion, my teeth functioned well for what they are meant to do. I was taken down the extraction path only to find out after losing 1 healthy tooth that this was not the right thing for me (wasn't fixing anything like she said, only camouflaging, so I told her NO). Plus she messed with my teeth in ways I do not appreciate, like pulling down my lateral incisors to the same length of the central ones.. yikes... If I had done my homework I would never have agreed to anything BUT to correct the unwanted contact of my front teeth, which was all that was bothering me. Could be out of braces in no time and keep ALL my lovely crocked teeth.

Vicki04

#3 Post by Vicki04 »

I always wanted braces because I had smile envy but in the past few years I started noticing that I'd clash my teeth together(with a bit of grinding on the front teeth) and then my high canines started causing lots of irritation and sores often. My first dental check up and cleaning resulted in an additional x-ray and discussion on how braces would benefit me. So my dentist gave me a referral and now here I am, braced and taking the journey to hopefully perfect functional teeth.
1. Crowding
2. High Canines
3. Crossbite
4. Edge to edge bite
They're just kind of wonky :crazy:

Tyrantblade

#4 Post by Tyrantblade »

Mines short, basically I was supposed to get braces at 13 for a small overbite, it didn't happen due to lack of money, then I lost my front tooth, my wisdom teeth caused everything to shift, and after I got my wisdom teeth removed I lost a molar because it had a filling the fell out, they wanted me to get $1000s in restoration done to it, didn't have the money so it got extracted instead.

So my smile and bite became horrible (I didn't know how bad until I had a couple Orthodontic Consultations), and finally with some money saved up and a flex card I got braces almost 2 years ago.

Now I'm almost done and it feels great having an almost perfect smile (still gonna need 2 implants to replace missing teeth afterwards).
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

dianaioanab

#5 Post by dianaioanab »

I have a bad overbite and crooked teeth. Because my teeth are so crowded on the upper arch, I got two cavities between them, even though I brushed them regularly. I started flossing too, but it was too late. Also I have TMJ (my jaw pops whenever i open my mouth) and I am sorta hoping that as soon as I correct my bite, it'll disappear.

FlowerPower

#6 Post by FlowerPower »

I had a thumbsucking habit as a child and my parents couldn't afford braces. SO, here I am at 29 with braces fixing an open bite and mild/moderate crowding.

Jeska0113

#7 Post by Jeska0113 »

Tyrantblade wrote:Mines short, basically I was supposed to get braces at 13 for a small overbite, it didn't happen due to lack of money, then I lost my front tooth, my wisdom teeth caused everything to shift, and after I got my wisdom teeth removed I lost a molar because it had a filling the fell out, they wanted me to get $1000s in restoration done to it, didn't have the money so it got extracted instead.

So my smile and bite became horrible (I didn't know how bad until I had a couple Orthodontic Consultations), and finally with some money saved up and a flex card I got braces almost 2 years ago.

Now I'm almost done and it feels great having an almost perfect smile (still gonna need 2 implants to replace missing teeth afterwards).
well congrats on your journey ! Almost at the finish line ! :) wow so you're missing a front tooth an molar? Sucks that its so expensive to restore :/

Jeska0113

#8 Post by Jeska0113 »

dianaioanab wrote:I have a bad overbite and crooked teeth. Because my teeth are so crowded on the upper arch, I got two cavities between them, even though I brushed them regularly. I started flossing too, but it was too late. Also I have TMJ (my jaw pops whenever i open my mouth) and I am sorta hoping that as soon as I correct my bite, it'll disappear.
I brush mine too n still managed to get 2 cavities :,( EVERYTIME?? :o does it bother your jaw/hurt ? I think it will, i would see why by correcting that your jaw would correct itself, but im no professional lol so ask your ortho !

dianaioanab

#9 Post by dianaioanab »

Jeska0113 wrote:
dianaioanab wrote:I have a bad overbite and crooked teeth. Because my teeth are so crowded on the upper arch, I got two cavities between them, even though I brushed them regularly. I started flossing too, but it was too late. Also I have TMJ (my jaw pops whenever i open my mouth) and I am sorta hoping that as soon as I correct my bite, it'll disappear.
I brush mine too n still managed to get 2 cavities :,( EVERYTIME?? :o does it bother your jaw/hurt ? I think it will, i would see why by correcting that your jaw would correct itself, but im no professional lol so ask your ortho !
Yeap, everytime. Fortunately it's not that bad and it doesn't hurt, it's just annoying cause it can get a little loud if i sit in certain positions with my head and it's kinda... Creepy :lol:.

Momto5boys

#10 Post by Momto5boys »

I have a huge overbite and crowding on the bottom due to thumbsucking. My parents could never afford braces when I was younger. As a young adult, although I wanted that "perfect smile", my husband and I used our money for fertility treatments instead. Treatments didn't work so we started saving up for adoption. By the grace of God, we ended up pregnant and had 5 kids of our own...so all money went to them. Now at 41 years old, I decided to do something for ME, and I finally got braced 2 wks ago. :BigTeethGrin:

Jeska0113

#11 Post by Jeska0113 »

dianaioanab wrote:
Jeska0113 wrote:
Yeap, everytime. Fortunately it's not that bad and it doesn't hurt, it's just annoying cause it can get a little loud if i sit in certain positions with my head and it's kinda... Creepy :lol:.
Omg :lol: so is tmj the same as having lock jaw ?

Jeska0113

#12 Post by Jeska0113 »

Momto5boys wrote:I have a huge overbite and crowding on the bottom due to thumbsucking. My parents could never afford braces when I was younger. As a young adult, although I wanted that "perfect smile", my husband and I used our money for fertility treatments instead. Treatments didn't work so we started saving up for adoption. By the grace of God, we ended up pregnant and had 5 kids of our own...so all money went to them. Now at 41 years old, I decided to do something for ME, and I finally got braced 2 wks ago. :BigTeethGrin:
Sorry to hear that, but congrats on your now 5 kids ! Big family huh ? Same here ! Lol ( but instead im the offspring lol ) well its better late than never right !? Welcome to the brace club :jump: Heck, moms NEVER do anything for themselves. So this is like your treat :thumbsup:

dianaioanab

#13 Post by dianaioanab »

Jeska0113 wrote: Omg :lol: so is tmj the same as having lock jaw ?
TMJ can mean a lot of things wrong with your jaw joint, from pain to weird pops, jaw lock, on one side or on both sides :roll:

finalexplosion

#14 Post by finalexplosion »

Jeska0113 wrote:I got my braces bcuz i was grinding down my molars when i chewed ( and mainly cuz i had gaps too). My ortho told me ifi hadn't, when i got older i woulda worn it down to the enamel - or root ? (idk correct me lol) - and it woulda been painful when iate. So why did you get braces? Other than wanting strighter teeth lol
All my life, I never smiled in pics, and would only show my front teeth. I also have GERD/acid reflux meaning, stomach acid over produces, it comes up, and it ruins teeth. I was thinking about even doing a whitening before I get my braces on. Anyway, I saw a ortho I got referred to by my dentist. I was quoted $5900 but, I am thinking of going the 6 ceramic braces for my uppers seeing that, I am an adult, and self conscious about braces to begin with. I have no coverage so, its going to be a expensive venture. I already paid for my premolars to be extracted which was pricey. $600 and that was a discount. Also, the xrays at the ortho weren't great so, my dentist took some more and I am excited to have straight teeth. Curious as to how much more ceramic braces will be. If its only another $5oo, this is a no brainer for me.

Jeska0113

#15 Post by Jeska0113 »

finalexplosion wrote:
Jeska0113 wrote:I got my braces bcuz i was grinding down my molars when i chewed ( and mainly cuz i had gaps too). My ortho told me ifi hadn't, when i got older i woulda worn it down to the enamel - or root ? (idk correct me lol) - and it woulda been painful when iate. So why did you get braces? Other than wanting strighter teeth lol
All my life, I never smiled in pics, and would only show my front teeth. I also have GERD/acid reflux meaning, stomach acid over produces, it comes up, and it ruins teeth. I was thinking about even doing a whitening before I get my braces on. Anyway, I saw a ortho I got referred to by my dentist. I was quoted $5900 but, I am thinking of going the 6 ceramic braces for my uppers seeing that, I am an adult, and self conscious about braces to begin with. I have no coverage so, its going to be a expensive venture. I already paid for my premolars to be extracted which was pricey. $600 and that was a discount. Also, the xrays at the ortho weren't great so, my dentist took some more and I am excited to have straight teeth. Curious as to how much more ceramic braces will be. If its only another $5oo, this is a no brainer for me.

Personally, i wouldnt do ceramic if i had spent all that money already lol and tbh people dont really notice! After about 2 weeks of having my braces on my boss asked me "when did you get braces? " lol it sucks that it's xepensive to have nice teeth, i too am paying 6,000 out of pocket :( are you already braced? Is there a way to like slow down the process of your acid reflex ?