Jaw Problems

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ChallengedCranium

Jaw Problems

#1 Post by ChallengedCranium »

Hi guys, found this forum from another forum. I am 24 right now, well past growth stage.
I recently spent more time thinking about my face and that there is something off with it.
My profile shows receding chin. I was made aware of this by other people. I have slightly crowded
teeth in my lower jaw. My upper teeth are mostly okay though. Regarding facial proportions, I don't
have cheekbones at all. My face is rather long and my jaw is insignificant.

The catalyst for my search was the problem of sleep. I am not overweight at all, I lift weights but never
sleep for more than 4-5 hours a night, before waking up. Sometimes, I found myself with a puddle of saliva on
the pillow. This led me to mouth breathing issue and the relationship between sleep apnea and constricted airway.
I am going to visit ENT, then maxfac surgeon to check out my jaw positioning. I found it rather unbearable to feel like
crap every day. My work is intensely mental and I cannot afford to continue feeling drained.

I was trying mewing and found that my tongue cannot fit well on upper palate, indicating narrow and deep palate. So,
I concluded that my cranium structure is deformed and could be causing issues all over the place. The question is though:
since adults stopped growing, how successful are non-surgical methods of expansion? For instance, upper palate expansion
seems to be discussed on those forums and plausible, how about lower jaw itself? And overall, it seems to be a recession of
lower jaw, so expansion is kind of pointless? Also, isn't it actually upper jaw issue, since lower jaw seems to grow in alignment with
maxilla? So many questions...I wonder if non-surgical ways are quackery or not.