Getting an expander at 40+ years old

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ShawnT

Getting an expander at 40+ years old

#1 Post by ShawnT »

First of all, I'm in full braces for the 3rd time. First guy straightened my teeth but did nothing for my bite. Second guy took my braces off too early, closed his doors and retired without telling his patients....which bring me to now. I'm going to an orthodontist who is younger, well established and VERY qualified. I trust his treatment plan so I'm not here to question him.

After attempting to move my teeth with rubber bands we have realized that it's time for a different approach. Yesterday I went in and he asked if I would be ok with wearing an expander. I said yes and got my spacers. In 12 days I will be getting a Dynaflex Max 2000 installed. Because of the light force (spring type, not screw) I was told it would be in for 6 months.

My question for anyone here is...what can I expect? How long does it get used to? Has anyone here had this or something similar as an adult? Any information would be helpful. I'm excited to get this done but somewhat nervous too.

Bracingfor33

Re: Getting an expander at 40+ years old

#2 Post by Bracingfor33 »

I had this exact contraption in for 2 months. My experience won't help the nervousness you feel though, I'm afraid. I hated that thing from the moment my tongue first pressed against it. It was so thick, I literally had zero arch space. Making EVERYTHING overwhelming and embarrassing! Eating was nothing more than slurping and swishing. (Word of advice: always carry a water bottle!!) Talking, well, that's a fun one! Especially when you're a "professional". Its hard to sound intelligent when you're speaking like daffy duck. Advice there: practice, practice, practice. Supposedly it gets better.
Hopefully you can make it the full 6 months. It helps if you have an awesome circle of peeps who are excited for you and don't poke fun at you. That was my downfall, I'm afraid. Also, you will probably want to invest in a water pic. And you can get little miniature brushy thingies at any retail store for on the go.
I have done research that this method has been successful. I hope that you are a success story!! Best wishes!!!

ShawnT

#3 Post by ShawnT »

Thank you! I already have a waterpic and the little brushes. I do talk a lot in my job unfortunately but have every intention of getting used to it.

ShawnT

#4 Post by ShawnT »

To make matters more difficult, I have "bite bumps" on one molar each side lower preventing my teeth from closing and hitting each other in front. In spite of the fact that the reply didn't help my nerves I appreciate the honesty. I'm actually excited to do this and see the results. I signed up for it and will make the best of it.

ShawnT

#5 Post by ShawnT »

Tomorrow is the big day. Guess I'll find out what it's like soon!!!

Bracingfor33

#6 Post by Bracingfor33 »

So? How ya doin'??

WanderingWallflower

#7 Post by WanderingWallflower »

How did it go?

ShawnT

#8 Post by ShawnT »

I was super nervous on appointment day. I'm almost 5 days in now and honestly, it's not that bad. I do A LOT of talking for a living and was in front of people the next morning after it was put in. As far as talking goes, yes, there is some issues and saliva is the enemy. But, it's getting better every day. Eating hasn't been too bad, I just have to do a bunch of rinsing to get food out of all the hiding places. I can feel movement but not much discomfort. I had a headache on day one and my palate itches a little. I already had braces, so the tooth discomfort really isn't there. It was a little shocking to first feel it in my mouth but I told the orthodontist that it was far better than what my imagination thought it was going to be like. I do, however, have a sore on the side of my tongue that developed in the last day and a half. It didn't come from anything sharp but instead, from my tongue pressing against a bar on the inside of my teeth at night. A little wax and it's already feeling better. Bottom line.....im VERY happy I got my expander and 6 months doesn't seem like it's going to be too bad. I would recommend it. If I can figure out how to post a couple pics, I will.

ShawnT

#9 Post by ShawnT »

Btw, the advise of having a water bottle available at all times was GREAT advise. And the talking thing....don't avoid it. The other advise is spot on.....practice, practice, practice.

ShawnT

#10 Post by ShawnT »

Is there a way to post pics?? I would love to share.

bretthov

#11 Post by bretthov »

thanks for sharing your post. I've got a really narrow arch and an expander of some type was discussed as an option in my treatment. My only question was would it really work to expand things in an adult - I'm over 40 and never heard of adults with expanders before they mentioned it to me. keep us updated on your progress.

ShawnT

#12 Post by ShawnT »

Not a lot of info on the internet but what I have seen is, yes, it can work if it's done slow. My orthodontist told me he is using the same one I have on another adult too.

WanderingWallflower

#13 Post by WanderingWallflower »

ShawnT wrote:Is there a way to post pics?? I would love to share.
Click on attachments at the bottom of the box you type in the post on the form... and you will see add files...

Bracingfor33

#14 Post by Bracingfor33 »

Glad to hear that its going Ok!! I never did feel any discomfort with it other that what you're describing. No pressure like the braces.

ShawnT

#15 Post by ShawnT »

image1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.