Anyone ever did or heard of this?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pcspinheiro

Anyone ever did or heard of this?

#1 Post by pcspinheiro »

Hello again fellow bracees,
After one premolar extraction and one refusal for premolar extraction I find myself in a pickle with my ortho, because she says I will end in class II canine and molar on the non-extracted side, but even my non-orthodontically minded eyes can see that I could end in class I IF all my upper teeth on that side could be pushed back 3 mm, along with the lowers being pulled forward 2 mm to fill a gap about that size behind the canine (I was only 1/2 class II to begin with). Problem is, how to do that? On the extracted side she will close the gap by retracting the front teeth a little and moving the back teeth forward too, but on the non-extracted side she plans on class II elastics only... this will probably not be enough to move all upper teeth back without the lowers ripping through the gum at the front, so the end result will be too compromised, I guess... I was planning on asking her if it would be possible to combine class II elastics with an upper TAD also on elastics. This way the force on the upper teeth to move back would be much greater but only half the reciprocal force would be placed on the lowers. The added advantage is that the vectorial pulling force would be almost exactly in the direction of the desired movement of the upper teeth, ie, straight back. Has anyone ever seen this done? Should I even propose this as an experiment? If it doesn't work as intended we can always abandon it...

Your thought are welcome.