Getting braces at 38

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Treasure2477

Getting braces at 38

#1 Post by Treasure2477 »

I had to have two teeth 22 and 27 removed they were stuck in my gums never grew in from childhood. I'm hurting sooo bad. I didnt think it would be this horrible. Now I am rethinking the braces, this process is PAINFUL! I have a overbite and I thought I cld just get the braces on the top when they saw the xray they said I would need to have those removed before putting the braces on. I went to three different orthodontist and they told me the same thing. How do I quickly heal? Its extremely sore.

str8k8

#2 Post by str8k8 »

Ooh that sounds rough!! They were completely beneath the gumline??

I'm sure that, after this, braces will seem easy peasy! So don't lose motivation...in a couple of years you'll be so happy you did it!

Feel better soon! I'm not sure how you can speed up the healing but I do know that Campbell's Thai Tomato Coconut soup is AMAZING!!!

BlondeCam

Re: Getting braces at 38

#3 Post by BlondeCam »

Sounds painful :shock: only extractions I've had were the four wisdom. Hang in there. Don't give up.

djspeece

Re: Getting braces at 38

#4 Post by djspeece »

Hopefully you have some pain meds that you can take -- it does get better after a few days but the sites will be tender for a while, and you'll be reminded if you eat anything that gets jammed into them. Ask me how I know. :-+
I think you have the hardest parts behind you: (1) making the decision to get braces and (2) having the extractions done. I was in the chair for 90 minutes getting two teeth extracted -- apparently I have long roots and very hard dense bone. So sexy, I know :roll: . The dentist who did them said they were the most difficult extractions ever. That was over three years ago and I still start to break out into a sweat when I think about it. But back to you.
What pain meds did your dentist prescribe? You may need to step up to a narcotic-based option, like Tylenol #3 or Percocet; call the office for advice ASAP. Sometimes ibuprofen will carry the day (Motrin, Advil, etc.). But don't suffer! Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying