Request to get braces removed 4 weeks early?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sneed1o1

Request to get braces removed 4 weeks early?

#1 Post by sneed1o1 »

I want to request for my braces to be removed 4 weeks early. Before I receive backlash, here is my reasoning:

This is my second time with braces. I had them in my teens to correct gaps. However, that orthodontist did not focus on my bite. As a child, I really was not concerned about that. I'm not 26, and I got braces again to correct my slight underbite. My orthodontist quoted me 10 months (from the end of August 2016). By that calculation, I would get them off in June. Two appointments ago, the doctor told me I would get them off in the early summer. Last appointment, they scheduled me to get them off August 2nd due to him not being in office for vacation some time in July. I would like to get them off either a week before or the day after my birthday on July 11 if possible. He only removes braces on Wednesdays. I'm already on my final wire on the bottom, and I'm scheduled to get my final wire on top on June 5th. I have not had any wire change on my top since the 2nd appointment. My top teeth are still straight from my last set of braces. My bottom teeth needed more correction because of past tongue thrust issues. Is this reasonable?

djspeece

Re: Request to get braces removed 4 weeks early?

#2 Post by djspeece »

Yes, it seems reasonable since this would actually be on schedule, and definitely worth a conversation with your ortho.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

sneed1o1

#3 Post by sneed1o1 »

djspeece wrote:Yes, it seems reasonable since this would actually be on schedule, and definitely worth a conversation with your ortho.
Thanks for the reply. I called and spoke with one of his assistants and I should know later this afternoon what the verdict is. The assistant told me that I was going to get her in trouble for asking... :roll: Why is this such a hard task? I was told 10 months. I understand if my teeth aren't ready, but I don't want to delay getting them off if this is just a scheduling conflict and not a orthodontia issue. I was told all the Wednesdays are booked right now. I just can't buy that story. Hopefully he can squeeze me in...I don't care if the sun isn't up or if the sun has gone down! :ThumbsDown:

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Amen to that. If you can be flexible with the appointment (e.g., come in early before that first scheduled appointment) then it should not be a big deal. Does the ortho also need to take impressions for a retainer at this appointment as well? Maybe that is the issue that is causing all the hub-bub. It's interesting that the assistant thought she would get in trouble for asking such a question -- sounds like a harsh work environment to me. Best of luck to you and congrats for reaching the home stretch!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

sneed1o1

#5 Post by sneed1o1 »

djspeece wrote:Amen to that. If you can be flexible with the appointment (e.g., come in early before that first scheduled appointment) then it should not be a big deal. Does the ortho also need to take impressions for a retainer at this appointment as well? Maybe that is the issue that is causing all the hub-bub. It's interesting that the assistant thought she would get in trouble for asking such a question -- sounds like a harsh work environment to me. Best of luck to you and congrats for reaching the home stretch!
Thank you! I received a call back, and I will get them off July 12th. I barely made the cut with this being my absolute worst case scenario, since we won't celebrate my birthday until the weekend anyway. You're right, I didn't take into consideration the impressions they have to do as well.