An Unwanted Gap Created

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LetsBraceIt

An Unwanted Gap Created

#1 Post by LetsBraceIt »

Hi y'all. In the process of closing an extraction gap, a new gap was created between my back molars and although it's not big, it's pretty noticeable to me (enough where where I can use a toothpick to touch the gum in the space between if that helps). The thing is, the gap is between my last molar which doesn't have a bracket and my second to last molar which does have a bracket. Should I tell my ortho about in my next appointment or should I just let it be? I really wish I could show a pic to show what i mea but I don't have that option available to me...

Beckett

Re: An Unwanted Gap Created

#2 Post by Beckett »

Yes tell him. I know exactly what you're talking about because the same thing happened to me. I now have brackets on my lower last molars and fixing the issue. It's creating others that we are tackling along the way too. My ortho told me they don't like to mess with those very back molars unless they have to, because they can be very finicky teeth, but it sounds like you may have to. You don't want that big of a space back there for food to get trapped and be an invitation to cavities.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

LetsBraceIt

Re: An Unwanted Gap Created

#3 Post by LetsBraceIt »

[quote="Beckett"]Yes tell him. I know exactly what you're talking about because the same thing happened to me. I now have brackets on my lower last molars and fixing the issue. It's creating others that we are tackling along the way too. My ortho told me they don't like to mess with those very back molars unless they have to, because they can be very finicky teeth, but it sounds like you may have to. You don't want that big of a space back there for food to get trapped and be an invitation to cavities.[/quote]

Hey, thanks for your reply! It's really reassuring that there's someone who went through what I'm experiencing :D I really hope closing the molar gap will be a quick fix and won't extend my time too much with braces. That's another convo I'll have with my ortho..